E46 318ci 2002 yellow parking brake light on dash - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
DJ J-Cue

My Ride: E46323ci convertible
Year: 2000
Model: 323ci
Transmission: 5 speed manual
E46 318ci 2002 yellow parking brake light on dash

As the title suggests i have a yellow parking brake light staying on when i release the parking brake. It's red as normal when the parking brake is on, yellow when it's off. This car has been off the road for almost 3 years but regularly started and driven on short runs a couple of times a month. I am now trying to get it ready to go back on the road. But this yellow light will cause it to fail the government inspection. I have very recently replaced the discs (rotors) and pads all round, also replaced the parking brake shoes and springs and retainer clips. also replaced the ABS sensors all round, replaced pad wear sensors. Oh and i also replaced the little switch under the parking brake handle.
I cant drive it to anywhere for a diagnostic as the road tax has expired and its not insured. my insurance company will not cover it until it passes inspection first!
But... it did have a diagnostic check about a year ago to try and solve this problem. the scan was highlighting issues with the abs sensors as far as i can remember. but as stated they have all been changed, and i don't see how that would be related to the parking brake..
and ideas anyone?
DJ J-Cue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
PabloCruise

My Ride: 2002 325i
Year: 2002
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
I would scan now and see what codes are registered.
PabloCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
DJ J-Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
I would scan now and see what codes are registered.
you think that light could be cleared with a scan tool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
RRRM8E

My Ride: 330Ci
Did you consult your owner's manual?
RRRM8E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #5
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Sounds like a brake pad warning. Check your brake pad sensor connectors and sensors.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
RRRM8E

My Ride: 330Ci
I can't remember if it was E46 or E91 where that light meant brake pad thickness is low. In my case the pads were fine; it was a flakey sensor wire/connection. Does it happen when there is moisture in the air?
RRRM8E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
DJ J-Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRM8E View Post
I can't remember if it was E46 or E91 where that light meant brake pad thickness is low. In my case the pads were fine; it was a flakey sensor wire/connection. Does it happen when there is moisture in the air?
its there all the time when i release the parking brake.
i have already changed everything on the brakes. including all sensors. everything there is new. discs, pads all round and parking brake shoes.
i ran a scan tool on it. Foxwell NT530. cleared all codes and it's still there.
One thing i have recently noticed is that the brake fluid is a horrible dark colour. i'm going to bleed it through with some new stuff at the weekend.
I don't know if thats a factor or not but worth a try and needs doing.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
DJ J-Cue

Its not a pad warning light. It is the parking brake light itself that turns yellow when released!