Question about Performance Package availability year - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
Ryznar

My Ride: BMW 330i
Year: 2004
Transmission: Manual
Question about Performance Package availability year

Hello.

I've found a 3.64 diff which I want to buy for my 330i. As I understand, this ratio was only OE for the ZHP auto version, which came into production in 2003. The diff apparently comes from a 2002 330i, so my first thought was that it couldn't be the original diff of the car and it must be a swap from a Z4, but upon checking VIN at realoem I saw that the Performance Package shown as an option for this car. However, when checking VIN for its equipment, Performanace Package isn't shown.

So... is it possible for a 2002 330i to have come with this ratio from factory? Reason I'm asking is I'm using the diff to install an LSD and after some research I found out that E46 diffs come with taper bearings, whereas some Z4 diffs have the much weaker ball bearings, and I want to make sure that I get a diff with taper bearings.

Do all Z4 diffs come with the finned cover? Because this one hasn't got it.

Also since I'm already asking, anybody knows if a 2003 3.64 diff from an E83 X3 has taper or ball bearings?
Ryznar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
ZHP was launched in March 2003 for sedans only, and at that time it was manual only. In September 2003 (when cars would have been titled as 2004 models), it was available on coupes/verts and automatic was an available option.

BMW did show off the ZHP at car shows and stuff before the actual launch date and those may have eventually been sold, but I'd expect them to still be titled as 2003s and likely be manual only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-17-2020 at 02:20 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
Daniel.

My Ride: 330i
Transmission: Manual 6
http://www.bokchoys.com/differential...calculator.htm

That says its the correct ratio for a ZHP Auto
Daniel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #4
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Iíve never heard of reports ever about the 2002 330i ever getting the 3.64 ratio.

The 3.64 diff the E46 got seems highly probable to be sourced from the Z4 parts bin. I doubt the bearings are different for this ratio and unit. Iím not certain but donít think all Z4 diff ratios got the finned cover. But all Z4 3.64s did from all accounts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryznar View Post
I've found a 3.64 diff which I want to buy for my 330i. As I understand, this ratio was only OE for the ZHP auto version, which came into production in 2003. The diff apparently comes from a 2002 330i, so my first thought was that it couldn't be the original diff of the car and it must be a swap from a Z4, but upon checking VIN at realoem I saw that the Performance Package shown as an option for this car. However, when checking VIN for its equipment, Performanace Package isn't shown.
On the E46, the 3.64 diff was found only on a ZHP w/ an AT (from the factory).

Is this from a used parts/part-out seller/company? Could just be a listing typo or maybe someone swapped it into their '02 non-ZHP at some point.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
Ryznar

My Ride: BMW 330i
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Is this from a used parts/part-out seller/company? Could just be a listing typo or maybe someone swapped it into their '02 non-ZHP at some point.
It's from some junkyard, posted in ebay.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...85#33107514198

There's the realoem link which shows the performance package as an option for that car. Incidentally, it shows 2 different part numbers for the 3.64 diff, the first of which ends production at 09/2003, right when the ZHP auto production should have started... weird thing.

Anyway, I'm going to assume that it is a Z4 or X3 diff swapped onto a 2002 330i, it seems the most likely scenario.

Thanks all.
Ryznar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:46 PM   #7
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
It's from some junkyard, posted in ebay.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...85#33107514198

There's the realoem link which shows the performance package as an option for that car. Incidentally, it shows 2 different part numbers for the 3.64 diff, the first of which ends production at 09/2003, right when the ZHP auto production should have started... weird thing.

Anyway, I'm going to assume that it is a Z4 or X3 diff swapped onto a 2002 330i, it seems the most likely scenario.

Thanks all.
When I was looking to buy a differential, I found numerous ads with incorrect descriptions.

If it's on ebay, perhaps there are photos showing the top side label? If there isn't a photo available, you can ask the seller to post it or confirm the ratio...
But if all checks out, most likely this is a differential from a Z4 2.5 automatic - not a bad option if not worn down and still within specks.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #8
Alex323Ci

yep I saw the listing, photo of something else.
highly probable the listing of 2002 330i just a mistake.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Old 01-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
Andjeti

My Ride: BMW E46 316TI Compac
If you have the VIN try ptting it into M Decoder and see if it did come with Performance Package.

Cheers
Jay
Andjeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:25 AM   #10
Alex323Ci

Quote:
when checking VIN for its equipment, Performanace Package isn't shown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andjeti View Post
If you have the VIN try ptting it into M Decoder and see if it did come with Performance Package.
think they already did