Battery Lights going on and off - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
KScott78

Battery Lights going on and off

So this morning, my battery light came on and then went off, it did this a few times, I made it to work no problem. Came out to leave after work, got a bout 10 minutes away and the light came on again, this time it stayed on and then several other lights came on, then everything died. Had my wife come with a second car and charge the battery to get 50km home, charged it 5 times to get that far. 10 minutes before getting home the battery light went off and everything started work again. Once home I tested the voltage at the battery with the engine running. Getting about 13.4 volts, belt for the alternator looks fine as well. Anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be? I hate to just throw money at it if the alternator is still good. The battery was replaced about 1.5 years ago. Thanks in advance for your help!
KScott78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KScott78 View Post
So this morning, my battery light came on and then went off, it did this a few times, I made it to work no problem. Came out to leave after work, got a bout 10 minutes away and the light came on again, this time it stayed on and then several other lights came on, then everything died. Had my wife come with a second car and charge the battery to get 50km home, charged it 5 times to get that far. 10 minutes before getting home the battery light went off and everything started work again. Once home I tested the voltage at the battery with the engine running. Getting about 13.4 volts, belt for the alternator looks fine as well. Anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be? I hate to just throw money at it if the alternator is still good. The battery was replaced about 1.5 years ago. Thanks in advance for your help!
Sounds like it time for an alternator. You can replace the voltage regulator and brushes but honestly alternator assemblies are cheap enough. Do it once and do it right.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
KScott78

Thanks for the reply! Is it normal for it to start and stop working like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Yes, the voltage regulator is probably going out. If you want to replace the regulator and brushes there are several threads about it on here. But as I said, I personally would just replace the alternator with a Bosch or Valeo and be done with it.

No Fear

Old 01-16-2020, 09:22 PM   #5
KScott78

Yeah, for the price I'll just replace the whole unit. Just wanted to make sure before throwing money at it. Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #6
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

How many miles on the current alternator?

No Fear

Old 01-16-2020, 09:33 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
Yep, classic alt failure. I drove about 40 miles as mine was flashing on and off going somewhere...then steady on on the way back. Tracked my voltage down to maybe 3 volts with the car still running. Pedal to the floor and engine at redline to make any power what with fuel pump dying at that voltage. I didn't know cars could do that. I also learned on the drive that you can 'kick start' your car rolling backwards if you shift into reverse.

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

Last edited by dmax; 01-16-2020 at 09:34 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #8
KScott78

Not sure, bought the car 3 years ago.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #9
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Not sure, bought the car 3 years ago.
One can assume it has never been changed, what are the miles on the car?

No Fear

Old 01-16-2020, 09:40 PM   #10
KScott78

320k, good chance it's the original
Old 01-16-2020, 09:44 PM   #11
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
I once had a battery light.
I broke down within 10 seconds.
New alternator
Old 01-16-2020, 09:51 PM   #12
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
320k, good chance it's the original
Yeah, it's probably time

No Fear

Old 01-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #13
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Alternator is donezo. Eventually the light will stay on and the car will die.

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #14
KScott78

Looking to order this one;
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007Y861KO/..._hpsiEb4SYQ0A1
Old 01-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #15
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
FYI: The alternator keeps the electric system resupplied from all of the consumers; DME, heater, radio lights etc. You know that.

What most don't know is many (if not most) of the computers/modules have a voltage monitor built in. When the available voltage drops below ~10.6 Volts, the DME says to itself: You want me do do what, with what voltage buddy?

I'm outta here, Sayonara.
That's when the car dies, not much after the dashboard looks like a Christmas tree.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #16
KScott78

More issues. So I've replaced the alternator and the battery error has gone away. However now I'm getting a loud squealing sound when I push the gas pedal over 2k RPM and some smoke, smells a bit like rubber. The sound will go away once the car warms up, but the smoke continues. After a few more minutes the a few lights come on the dash, as if the DSC was disabled. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I inspected the belt when I changed the alternator and it looks good.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:21 AM   #17
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
What lights come on specifically?
Don't like the noise and the burning smell. Could be the usual oil leak, however since you just replaced the alternator is there something maleficent going on with the rollers/tensioners along the belts circuitous path?

A snapped belt leaving one stranded is NO fun.

Go to the cluster and unlock it, get over to test #9. What's the voltage displayed when the car is running?

Do you have a tester? What if any codes are stored? Not just the DME....
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:40 AM   #18
KScott78

These are the lights that are on ( not my car, but same lights ). See attachment.

Does test #9 display the voltage? I have multi meter and code reader. I can have a look when I get home today. Also, what is a DME? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bosch_ABS_BMW_E46_320i_SE_2002_Saloon.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	792025  
Old 01-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #19
RRRM8E

My Ride: 330Ci
On noise/smell front, sure sounds like something is amiss in the belt department. I'd be rechecking install. Can't imagine a pulley suddenly decided to let go at this time. Perhaps remove air box duct and look in there with engine running. Source of smoke should be evident. Burning alone would suggest wire.

As for lights, do E46s need steering sensor reset after battery disconnect?
RRRM8E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #20
KScott78

Going to take it back apart and check the belt to make sure it's aligned and seated correctly. Just did the voltage test, #9 on the dash and it's reading around 14 at idle, so that appears to be correct as well. What I'm unsure of is the two lights that came on. It just doesn't seem to add up, unless I'm missing something. Which I'm sure am I... Thanks again for everyone's times!