m54 Valves springs - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 862
My Ride: 330ci coupe
m54 Valves springs

Hey im looking for a cheap alternative to rev my engine a bit higher , ive seen some threads where people used m50 dual valve springs or from an m60 engine , I just wonder if I do that , how much more can i rev safely?
Because I got ITBS and im gonna put them on m54.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
SoloII///M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 806
My Ride: Many
I don't expect valve springs alone will buy you much in the quest for more RPM. Working on improving flow through the M54 head would be first. Second would be managing the oil pump chain slap. Third would be elimination of the HLAs, which you would do in concert with higher-rate valve springs.

Good luck,

JV
__________________
John V
No more BMWs...
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 862
My Ride: 330ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloII///M View Post
I don't expect valve springs alone will buy you much in the quest for more RPM. Working on improving flow through the M54 head would be first. Second would be managing the oil pump chain slap. Third would be elimination of the HLAs, which you would do in concert with higher-rate valve springs.

Good luck,

JV
Well I already port matched to headers and intake manifold (m50) , however im gonna start opening it up more.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
SoloII///M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 806
My Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Well I already port matched to headers and intake manifold (m50) , however im gonna start opening it up more.
You likely won't be successful "opening it up more." Work with someone who has experience with one of these heads on a flow bench. You will end up wanting to add material to the short side radius and open up the runner on the long side.

Bottom line, valve springs are one of the last things you'll need to address. The biggest worry with these engines is keeping the bottom end together.
__________________
John V
No more BMWs...
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 862
My Ride: 330ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloII///M View Post
You likely won't be successful "opening it up more." Work with someone who has experience with one of these heads on a flow bench. You will end up wanting to add material to the short side radius and open up the runner on the long side.

Bottom line, valve springs are one of the last things you'll need to address. The biggest worry with these engines is keeping the bottom end together.
Bottom end in terms of pistons and rods or crank main cap bolts? Because when im gonna put this engine together those crank bolts look too small , same for head bolts so I will probably send it to a machine shop put bigger valves maybe?Idk I still can just throw it together and give it a 75 shot.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #6
SoloII///M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 806
My Ride: Many
Bigger valves will cause you to lose flow through the cylinder head. But go for it if it is fun for you to tinker.

The biggest issue with these engines is always the oil pump. In my experience the best way to address those issues involves damping of as much crankshaft vibration as possible and minimizing oil pump chain slap. Beyond that, yes, other bottom end strengthening can't hurt.

But ultimately if you want to make more NA power, you need to improve airflow through the cylinder head. That's an iterative process working with a cylinder head expert with a flow bench and experience. Not something that the average garage tinkerer is going to figure out on their own.
__________________
John V
No more BMWs...

Last edited by SoloII///M; 11-07-2019 at 12:47 PM.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
Blu302
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 514
My Ride: '98 E46 323i
Year: 98
Model: E46
Transmission: Manual
Have you looked at cams yet? I have personally found them to be the biggest single power increase(with tune).

If you are going to pull the head, you can deck block/shave head to bring the dynamic compression back to factory when fitting cams.
__________________
_______________________________________________


Power is knowledge, So share the knowledge!!
Blu302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #8
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 862
My Ride: 330ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu302 View Post
Have you looked at cams yet? I have personally found them to be the biggest single power increase(with tune).

If you are going to pull the head, you can deck block/shave head to bring the dynamic compression back to factory when fitting cams.
so far ive got a free set of zhp cams.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.