No crank/Temp gauge reading hot - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
No crank/Temp gauge reading hot

So my frind got a 2003 bmw m3 SMG , after parking it for over a night the car wouldnt start , the fuel pump died. He sent the car to a shop and the car came with a fuel pump done and its being wired directly from fuse box (original wires cut( power wires). The shop changed DME, EWS ignition cylinder because after a fuel pump change the car wouldnt crank and temp gauge goes all the way to red like the ecu is in boot mode or something. Both new and old DME do this ( even If i replace everything back to original I get same as everything with new )
So I tried to read the codes and INPA and my Autel scanner cant see DME. After figgling for a while I got original ECU to read but not the new one.
Still car dont crank it doesnt even make a click when you turn the key because as soon as you put key in and turn it Temp gauge goes to red.
After further talking to my friend he said everything started with fuel pump. So he had his original pump in the trunk and I put 12 volts to it and nothing the fuel pump is cooked. I tracked the issue to EKP module or the relay in the right of the trunk black relay when I told my friend to turn the key for me that relay doesnt click. Could this relay cause temp on cluster to go to red and prevent it from cranking completely? Im hitting a dead end everything I tried , ive read like 16 threads on people having similar symptoms but every one of those threads winds up in dead end as well. If anybody could point out what else I could try Ill gladly appreciate you're help and the time you spent to read this. Please help
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
When it instantly jumps to red, it means there's no communication with the DME as you saw. I'd guess during the fuel pump change something was shorted out. I'd start checking the fuses in the DME box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PA Soft
Driver:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Program:
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote