E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: Sedan Rear Seat Removal

37K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mwm1166 
#1 · (Edited)
I've searched all over the Net and no-one has a detailed DIY for the E46 Sedan Rear Seat (Back Rest) Removal. I Just Finished Working On Mine... So Here You Go!

NOTE: NO TOOLS NEEDED AT ALL! ALSO, YOU DO NOT NEED TO TAKE OUT THE BOTTOM PART OF THE SEAT AT ALL!

BUT; IF YOU ARE NOT AS TECHNICALLY INCLINED AS I AM, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY PULLING UP ON THE MIDDLE OF THE BOTTOM HALF OF THE SEAT AND IT WILL JUST POP RIGHT OUT!

OK THAT SAID:

1st- At the top of the Rear Seat Back PULL REALLY HARD forwards towards yourself and it will pop-out!

2nd- On each corner pull forward as well.

3rd- Pull the Seat Belts on each end toward you so that they have enough slack for the back rest to move forward when you pull it off... you can actually slide the seat belts behind the back rest after you pull the seat forwards.

4th- Now, there are 4 Metal Clips on the bottom from side to side, just pull up hard to release them!

5th- Remove The Whole Back Rest From The Car If Needed!

6th- For Installation Just Reverse Your Steps & Don't Forget To Put The Seat Belts Back!!!

DONE!
ENJOY!

See less See more
#2 ·
This was more difficult than stated. Unless you have fingers of steel, you'll need to use a tool to get the enter of the seat back free. Use a clean and rust free STIFF putty knife or scraper to slip between the center of the seat above the arm-rest, and rear shelf. A plastic trim removal tool will work too. Lever it forward to get your fingers behind the seat. Work the top of the seat away from the rear shelf using your fingers and putty knife/tool. There are two clips in the seat back just outboard of each head rest (if you have them). If no head rests, the clips are about 8 - 10 inches inboard from the door opening and about four inches down from the top of the seat back. Pull sharply above each clip once you can get your fingers between the seat and rear shelf.

Once the seat is free of the clips, all that's holding it in place are four wire bales (think really thick coat-hanger wire) at the base of the seat. They slip into "U" shaped brackets. There are two in the center just above the seat belt mounts, and two at the VERY ends of the seat bottom adjacent to the door sills (one per side). Slip the inertial reel seat belts around the ends of the seat back and lift it up about three to four inches so the bales are free of the brackets. The seat back will now be free to remove.

Installation is reverse. Slip the wire bales into the brackets and work the belts back around the seat. Work the seat down engaging the bales, and bringing the clips into position. Press sharply at each clip point mentioned above.

This job is more easily done with the lower cushion removed so you can see the bales and U brackets.

Beneath the seat is sound proofing material. Be careful with it as it is brittle and cracks easily.

#3 ·
Just saying..

I made this account just to tell you this was perfect. Due to the second reply, I started by using the plastic pry tools, but doing with my hands was much easier.. I'm skinny af and haven't worked out consistently for years... You just have to be smart with your hands and it was mildly painful forcing my fingers down in the crack in at first, but I got my seat popped out in less than a minute.. Now my 8" sub can sit in my backseat lol:excited::clap:

#4 · (Edited)
One additional comment. If you have a center headrest, you need to remove it to allow the seat to easily slide out. The Bentley manual doesn’t mention this little fact. If you don’t, you’ll fight with it for half an hour and curse a lot. Ask me how I know........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.