Crankshaft position sensor replacement - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #61
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i, '11 Z435i
I did the job from up top with no problem once that canister was out of the way. That's the vacuum canister for the exhaust flap btw.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #62
cosmos328Ci

My Ride: 403whp. 500.4ftlb
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
I did the job from up top with no problem once that canister was out of the way. That's the vacuum canister for the exhaust flap btw.
Replaced my CPS tonight. I used my CPS out of my old M52TU28 (cause I know it works)
Did mine from underneath the car - quite simple and easy, used a small 1/4" rachet.

The car goes like it should again -

M54B30, ESS TS2, Schrick Cams, S54 Cam Chain Tensioner, ATI Super Damper 6.8", 3.5" Throttle Body, XForce Headers, Custom Twin Exhaust, Quaife LSD 2.93:1, UUC Twin Plate and Lightened Flywheel, GSR Four-bolt Oil Pump, M56 Engine cover with Built-in CCV.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...619&highlight=
cosmos328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #63
Gensker6

My Ride: 330Ci
Hi. I've got a problem with long crank time before start, which seems worse the warmer the car is. When motor does start, it has weak idle, and some surging during warm up. No codes using handheld scanner. New fuel pump, and I'll check fuel pressure next (changing fuel filter this weekend). I've had an oil leak on intake side of the engine (oil dipstick O ring), and am thinking I could have a failing CPS. Ugghh! I need to get this fixed! All normal maintenance - VANOS, intake boots, DISA gasket, so on has been done.
Gensker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #64
Gensker6

My Ride: 330Ci
Update - replaced fuel filter (had 42k miles on it), and car now starts instantly again. I wouldn't have believed the fuel filter could get so clogged to cause 3-5 second crank times. Thanks, JFOF, for all of your help! You recommended changing fuel filter last summer when I replaced fuel pump. Next up - smoke test to check for vac leaks.
Gensker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #65
Justin740

My Ride: 2002 330i
So i just finished reinstalling the intake manifold after a CCV/Oil-separator replacement and after I started the car I got a p0339 (crankshaft position sensor)

I did some searching on the forum, located the sensor and realized it's unplugged. Only problem is I CANT FIND THE PLUG WIRING?

Where does the CPS plug wires lead to?
Justin740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #66
York

My Ride: 01 330Ci
I got to mine from the bottom. Started from the top, but found it easier to do from underneath. Thanks for all the help from this thread.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #67
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
So much easier to get it from under the car guys takes 10 minutes but requires a juck and tough balls if ur not afraid of the car collapsing on you)
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #68
2bimmers420

My Ride: 2000 328i E46, 2002
Itís been a while, but I hope some one with good advice will see this. First off I have E39 530i . Up until recently it had been sitting in the drive way under a cover for several months. Mainly do to rack and pinion leaks. Anyways toward the end of my drive I notice it feels like it wants to stall. Praying I make it home and a quick freeway trip. I make it. Later I try a short ride where I finally did get a stall. Pull code for camshaft position sensor circuit A. $120 and a short drive later. Still not right. This time it wasnít the CAMshaft sensor but the CRANKshaft sensor. Iíve read that crankshaft sensor is usually associated with NO start. And Iím experiencing more CAMshaft sensor issues. Loss of power,stalls. So I donít understand whatís going on here. I canít keep replacing these sensors at 120 a peice. So I went to my local salvage and picked up 3-4 crankshaft sensore( very easy removal). I had access to the underside so I just slithered my arm up to the starter and felt around sure enough thereís the bolt. ). I did this about 4 times. Anyways I chose a sensor. Hoped for good luck but before I desired to give it a crank I though I should finally swap out those vanos pistons I rebuilt. So thatís weíre weíre at. As I read through the forum I find few cases like mine. But people have been getting codes for either CAMshaft or crank shaft which jumped to the other when they switch one out. Also interestingly. I have also seen one or two relating there issues to the vanos rebuild. Which coincidentally happens to be the route I chose. In middle of job I over tightened the vanos blind plug severely crushing the aluminum crush washers. Iím unable to find them locally and cannot wait so Iíll be taking another quick trip to the salvage to grab some along with another 4 of each CAMshaft sensor. I hope the vanos rebuild fixes my problem. But if not Iíll be swapping out sensors till I get results. If thes donít work idk were to go next I checked all wiring. I donít understand how these sensors could jump around like this or how a vanos rebuild could make the difference. If anyone has any helpful information. Iíd greatly appreciate it and thanks for sticking around to read

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
2bimmers420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #69
mr_y82

My Ride: 01 325xi Sedan
canīt help, but bump for good luck.