DME Live data button greyed out on PA soft 1.4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
addam03E46

My Ride: 2003 325i
DME Live data button greyed out on PA soft 1.4

Got my PA Soft up and running today with no problems thanks to this wonderful forum!! However unfortunately the DME live data button is greyed out. From what I can see everything else is working just fine. I coded, looked at live data from other modules, etc. with no issues.

I followed Solidjakes Vid to get to the live data for the DME just like he did so I know I'm getting to the right screen. Pins 7 and 8 and I believe 1 and 2 are already soldered together so I don't think that's an issue.

Is there a button somewhere I'm missing??

Last edited by addam03E46; 12-03-2014 at 02:23 PM.
addam03E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: 04 E46
every car algorithm is differnt from others. to get that DME live data you have to be lucky i guess. I dont have the Live data so were SOL (**** out of luck)

can you change the car algorithm? from what i read, yes.

do i know how? no

is it safe? no

is it worth it? no

Last edited by JapanRot325ci; 12-03-2014 at 01:20 PM.
JapanRot325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
addam03E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanRot325ci View Post
every car algorithm is differnt from others. to get that DME live data you have to be lucky i guess. I dont have the Live data so were SOL (**** out of luck)

can you change the car algorithm? from what i read, yes.

do i know how? no

is it safe? no

is it worth it? no
Ahh, ok well it is what it is. I'm pretty sure I can see all the same live data with Torque Pro anyways. I was able to recode everything I wanted to recode so I'm still plenty happy. I may try reflowing the solder on the bridged pins just for the heck of it. The solder job looked pretty shoddy.

Thanks!

Last edited by addam03E46; 12-03-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Welcome to my world, I have been saying this for a long time. Everyone was telling me that I had a bad interface or my software was some form of demo version or my interface was not seeing the DME!

I do think it is DME version dependent and I think the PA Soft author had issues and abandoned his efforts because his interface was copied and he had his software openly available for so long.

If he was smart, he would have charged $99 for the interface and software rather than the $450 or what ever it was and he would be hanging out on some island with a drink with an umbrella in it.

I have NEVER been able to get my BMW Scanner to show like DME data, but my cars are newer as well.

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
addam03E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Welcome to my world, I have been saying this for a long time. Everyone was telling me that I had a bad interface or my software was some form of demo version or my interface was not seeing the DME!

I do think it is DME version dependent and I think the PA Soft author had issues and abandoned his efforts because his interface was copied and he had his software openly available for so long.

If he was smart, he would have charged $99 for the interface and software rather than the $450 or what ever it was and he would be hanging out on some island with a drink with an umbrella in it.

I have NEVER been able to get my BMW Scanner to show like DME data, but my cars are newer as well.

Good to know it's not just me! Everything actually looked pretty well made inside except for the solder jumpers so I'm sure you are right.

From what I'm reading when I search on Google, older E46s seem to be having an easier time connecting to their DME. Seems like 2003 and up are the ones that are hit or miss.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
addam03E46

UPDATE: I took it apart again and pins 1 and 2 aren't soldered together. 1 goes to a trace on the circuit board, two doesn't go to anything, so if I jumpered them together with solder it would effectively be like jumpering pins one and two on the OBD port.

The only pins used on the Dongle are 1,4,7,8 and 16. And 7 and 8 are jumpered together.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Before you go trying to build something that should not be built, what are you trying to accomplish?

If the interface was able to read the DME and all the other modules in the car, everything is fine, nothing needs to be modified.

As for live DME data, do not waste your time, this is a software issue and I do n not think the vendor will support your software!

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 12-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
addam03E46

Quote:
Before you go trying to build something that should not be built, what are you trying to accomplish?

If the interface was able to read the DME and all the other modules in the car, everything is fine, nothing needs to be modified.

As for live DME data, do not waste your time, this is a software issue and I do n not think the vendor will support your software!
Yeah you're right. It ain't broke, so I probably shouldn't try to fix it.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addam03E46 View Post
Yeah you're right. It ain't broke, so I probably shouldn't try to fix it.
BINGO!

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 12-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
addam03E46

Not to keep gushing on though, but I LOVE having a "normal" temperature gauge now!! I'm not concerned that I have any issues since everything in my cooling system is a year old, but it's nice to know if something DOES go I'll know a little sooner. And it's nice to have my temperature gauge reach mid way at a normal speed, not 3 mins after I left the house when clearly things can't be warmed up that quickly under the hood.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Yeah, it's really a great tool for us. Does so much for a very low price.

So, you want to go to the next level? Get yourself a K-line cable and INPA (from BMW Standard Tools 1.22) installed on your PC. That will give you ALL the live data you can handle and a lot more.

Once you have INPA working you can use WinKFP to flash update your DME and EGS to the latest.

What's the production date of your car? I assume it is DME MS45.1, not MS43. Right?

Last edited by BaliDawg; 12-04-2014 at 09:48 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:31 AM   #12
addam03E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Yeah, it's really a great tool for us. Does so much for a very low price.

So, you want to got to the next level? Get yourself a K-line cable and INPA (from BMW Standard Tools 1.22) installed on your PC. That will give you ALL the live data you can handle and a lot more.

Once you have INPA working you can use WinKFP to flash update your DME and EGS to the latest.

What's the production date of your car? I assume it is DME MS45.1, not MS43. Right?

I'll give it a try once I get bored with PA Soft.

Not sure about my DME, i'm assuming PA Soft will tell me, but my production date is 05/2003.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #13
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
I'll give it a try once I get bored with PA Soft.

Not sure about my DME, i'm assuming PA Soft will tell me, but my production date is 05/2003.
5/2003 should be the later DME with the 5 wire MAF, 5 wire wideband O2 sensors unless it is an xi as I think the xi may not have had the same changes are the other models but I cannot confirm this 100% because I do not run across many xi's.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 12-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #14
addam03E46

Quote:
5/2003 should be the later DME with the 5 wire MAF, 5 wire wideband O2 sensors unless it is an xi as I think the xi may not have had the same changes are the other models but I cannot confirm this 100% because I do not run across many xi's.
Good to know! Yeah I have the 5 wire MAF, and the more expensive O2 sensors (which I assume means they are wideband).
Old 12-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Good to know! Yeah I have the 5 wire MAF, and the more expensive O2 sensors (which I assume means they are wideband).
Correct

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 12-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #16
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Your DME is MS45.1. To find its firmware version using PA Soft 1.4, do a full scan and then look at the log file when it's done. Scroll down a bit and you will see a section that lists information only for the DME and EGS. I think it is the third section from the top? In each row, there are two 7-digit numbers that start with 7 that are the same except the last digit, like 7548008 and 7548009. The number on the left is what INPA calls the "assembly number", WinKFP calls the ZUSB number, etc., but it is really BMW's part number for the firmware version.

One nice thing is that this section will list the entire history of firmware versions for both DME and EGS, the only two flash updatable ECUs in our cars. Each row has the date flashed, version, mileage, etc. So it will be obvious if you are still on the original firmware for either ECU.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #17
amg7rj

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
Been using a 2008 (v1.4.0.6(24.05.2008)) version for almost 8 years now. in the past my DEM live data would work, now its greyed out. trying to look if my cats are ready to smog it. decided to get on the internet to look for the latest version and I found 19.09.2011 this to be the latest. the link you provide was able to provide me a newer version of 2009. does anyone have a 2011 version or have an idea why my dem live data stopped working

I also opened up the obII scanner and here are the pins used on the Dongle are 4,5,6,7,8,14,15,16 4,5 & 7,8 are soldered together

have a 2002 e46 m3 ver

if anyone can shed some light on this i'd greatly appreciate it
#S54CM3

Last edited by amg7rj; 01-17-2020 at 06:49 PM.
amg7rj is offline   Reply With Quote