A/C compressor clutch replacement? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
mega_stihl

My Ride: E46 & E32
A/C compressor clutch replacement?

My A/C compressor clutch is far gone. I wanted to start my engine swap today but wanted to make sure if my A/C compressor was still fine. If it is, I could leave it hanging and unbolt it. If it is not, It has to be replaced aswell, and I wanted to get the A/C gas out of the system (at a shop) before removing the comrpessor.

Since a year or 2, my A/C compressor sometimes works, and sometimes not. When I use PA Soft 1.4, it says that my A/C compressor is ENGAGED, while it is not. Unplugged the connector, while it says ENGAGED it gives 13.xxV. When I plug it into the A/C compressor, it does not engage (well, sometimes it does). When I put 12V directly to the compressor: same story. Sometimes it engages, sometimes not.

So I want to bet large the coil of the clutch is gone. I still have a spare A/C compressor frmo the engine I want to swap into my car, but it would make more sense not to swap the compressor over, so I wouldn't have to pay a shop €70 to vacuum an refill my system.

So to the point: Can the clutch easily be replaced? Let me rephrase it: CAN you replace the clutch?
mega_stihl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
Daniel.

My Ride: 330i
Year: 2004
Transmission: Manual 6
Yes it can and its a easy job, Bolt in the the center and then a circlip holding the bearing, just make sure the M6 spacer washer in the center goes back in as it stops the clutch dragging when the A/c is off

Last edited by Daniel.; 03-18-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Daniel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
mega_stihl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel. View Post
Yes it can and its a easy job, Bolt in the the center and then a circlip holding the bearing, just make sure the M6 spacer washer in the center goes back in as it stops the clutch dragging when the A/c is off
Appreciated. Thanks!

Also: where can I get a new coil? I can't find any spare parts for the A/C compressor, only the whole unit. I can use my spare one, but this has 320k km on it, so not sure how much longer it will last.

Last edited by mega_stihl; 03-18-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2020, 10:53 PM   #4
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
For the amount of work and the reliability of a new clutch on the compressor, I would just replace the whole compressor. I got a new compressor for $200 several years ago. It i difficult to find the clutch seperate.

Good luck!

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptain
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:07 PM   #5
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
^ This. Just replace it. Even a quality unit isn’t expensive and it will be the last compressor you put on that car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:19 AM   #6
mega_stihl

Normally I would agree, but replacing the compressor isn't THAT much wor (I think)k, so if it dies later on I can still replace it. If I can fix it with a new clutch for lets say 30-40 bucks, I would prefer this over spending 220 for a compressor + 70 for new gas, as the compressor itself is still doing fine.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
Actually, you should buy an entire clutch assembly. Finding the coil would be difficult.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
mega_stihl

a friend gave me this link https://www.euautoonderdelen.be/deel/nrf/9666063
Old 03-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
Daniel.

Loads of German cars use the same Clutch and Coil parts, the bearing in the center was noisy on mine and it was replace with parts from a mercedes in a breakers yard.

Total cost was £5 and 20 minutes looking in the yard

Think denso makes the AC pump so probably loads of other makes uses the same parts

Last edited by Daniel.; 03-19-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #10
205_zhp

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i ZHP
Year: 2005
Model: 330i ZHP
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Loads of German cars use the same Clutch and Coil parts, the bearing in the center was noisy on mine and it was replace with parts from a mercedes in a breakers yard.

Think denso makes the AC pump so probably loads of other makes uses the same parts

Just curious, what kind of noise was your making?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05 BMW • 330i • ZHP • DINAN3

Instagram @205_zhp
205_zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:46 PM   #11
Daniel.

Constant noise like a worn out dry bearing, originally i thought it was one of the belt idlers
Old 03-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #12
mega_stihl

thanks for sharing, guys!
Old 03-20-2020, 02:37 AM   #13
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:

+1

Check the boneyards for used or buy a replacement clutch kit. I replaced a noisey bearing in the a/c pulley and aside from the limited space it was easy work. The main issue I had was needing to buy a very short bolt to use with the rental puller tool and still clear the back of the radiator/housing.

:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #14
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
How long have you worked on BMWs? If you are going once to replace a parts look at other parts that you can change. It will save you a ton of labor.

Why replace the clutch when the compressor can go out in a little while. You dont want to do the job twice instead of once. Its a BMW!

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptain
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #15
Daniel.

Why replace the pump when it could out last the rest of the car?
Old 03-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #16
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Its not thaat much labor to get the pulley off to replace a clutch coil such that its worth opening up the a/c system and everything else that that entails ... getting it evacuated, replacing the drier and all the fitting o-rings (while you're in there), renting a vacuum pump to evacuate & test system for leaks, and then going through the whole refill process. Its not rocket science but its definitely way more labor and time than trying a clutch coil. Its a judgement call but I'll put that off for tomorrow unless the compressor is making noises or not putting out good numbers on an AC manifold gauge set.

:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote