Anyone replaced the fuel level sender with a second OEM fuel pump? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
SidewaysGreg

My Ride: E46 330Ci
Year: 2002
Transmission: 5spd manual
Anyone replaced the fuel level sender with a second OEM fuel pump?

There's quite a few plans for doing this on E36's but I can't find anything concrete for the E46.

I'm thinking of putting a second pump in and then simply putting a one-way check valve and a T fitting on the line exiting the first pump and running the line from the second into the T fitting.

Sure it may have some resistance and therefore not have perfect efficiency but it should give more than 100% of the output compared to just one pump no matter how starved out one or the other side is.

I'm thinking of powering the second pump with the existing wiring from the level sender with an uprated fuse, any issues? Bimmerworld seems to be implying there is a special way of wiring things in order to get the integrated level sensor on the second pump to read properly?

Anyway, any input much appreciated!
SidewaysGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
My suggestion is that you don't do this and the reason is mostly from my long time experience here--when Fanatics try to improve their bmw there are almost always unanticipated consequences that prove to be a problem, sometimes serious problems.

For you the biggest problem I'd foresee is that you miss something crucial and create a spark next to the gas tank.

My fuel sender, fyi, has 371,000 miles on it. I replaced my fuel pump at 250,000 and it was still working. I also use Techron (BMW fuel system treatment) at least 3-4 times a year--it helps clean the gunk off of things like fuel level senders and injectors, etc.

Are you getting faulty readings from your sender? If so, you might just remove it and clean it...maybe with a dap of Techron on a cloth. There are other reasons fuel might not transfer from one lobe to the other too that are worth your looking into.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
SidewaysGreg

My Ride: E46 330Ci
Year: 2002
Transmission: 5spd manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
My suggestion is that you don't do this and the reason is mostly from my long time experience here--when Fanatics try to improve their bmw there are almost always unanticipated consequences that prove to be a problem, sometimes serious problems.

For you the biggest problem I'd foresee is that you miss something crucial and create a spark next to the gas tank.

My fuel sender, fyi, has 371,000 miles on it. I replaced my fuel pump at 250,000 and it was still working. I also use Techron (BMW fuel system treatment) at least 3-4 times a year--it helps clean the gunk off of things like fuel level senders and injectors, etc.

Are you getting faulty readings from your sender? If so, you might just remove it and clean it...maybe with a dap of Techron on a cloth. There are other reasons fuel might not transfer from one lobe to the other too that are worth your looking into.

Iím pretty sure heís trying to overcome fuel starvation issues as Iíve considered the same thing.

My concerns would be on the fuel return side. Iím about to see how well the M3 fuel baffle works, if that doesnít work well enough
I may just replace the vacuum driven sucking jet with a pump, pouring fuel onto the main pumpís pickup point, or into the M3 baffle.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
SidewaysGreg is offline   Reply With Quote