Android Head Unit for 2005 330Ci - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2020, 05:31 AM   #1
masaeb

Android Head Unit for 2005 330Ci

Guys, I've been searching all over eBay for a compatible android head unit, but everything available seems to be for cars between 1999-2004. Anyone with the same year car as me with a decent head unit?
masaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Since there is no difference in options for a convertible versus sedans and coupes, my advice is to first research the many threads in the Mobile Electronics Subforum here. The options are many and varied, but fall into two main categories:

- Units from traditional electronics manufacturers like Alpine, etc. These are typically more expensive.
- Chinese made units like those from Xtrons, Avin, etc., and which include (I believe) the Dynavin units. These are less expensive but typically have more features, etc. Dynavin is the priciest but there is a reputable US customer service provider that many people feel is worth the extra cost.

I put an Xtrons unit in one of my E46s and it is pretty solid. Bought it through Amazon and had CarToys install it. Has more features and capabilities than I have time to figure out! Only gripes are: (1) the glare on the screen is a problem and (2) honestly, it does more than I really need.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #3
bremerd1

My Ride: 323
Year: 2000
Model: CI
Transmission: ZF 5HP19
I put in a Eonon GA9150B Manufacturer's link in both my son's e46 sedans.

It fits fine in any e46, and is plug and play (no cutting of the HVAC box behind the radio is required). You'll need bits and pieces from this Metra kit to relocate the HVAC controls (you can do it without the kit, but the kit makes it much more professional looking). The kit can vary depending on how many buttons you have under the HVAC controls...

With any of the Chinese units, it may work fine, it may have issues. I ended up having issues from one of the units, and finally ended up just purchasing another one (which didn't have any issues at all).

Steering wheel controls work, and it sounds good to me (quite subjective); The Microphone it ships with doesn't work all that well - I used ones of these.

Initial thoughts right after the install here.

I also wired up a backup camera - that works exactly as expected.
I added a Eonon Android Auto dongle a couple months later - that also works well.

I don't have any good photos of that install, but it looks pretty much like any of the other GA9150B pics.

In my 323Ci 'vert, I did a Kenwood DDX9904S. Similar kit from Metra to relocate the HVAC controls. If I had it to do over, I'd do the Eonon and not the Kenwood - it was more expensive, and doesn't really sound any better (to me).

Dan B
bremerd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Renboy

My Ride: 04 330Ci '08 Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaeb View Post
Guys, I've been searching all over eBay for a compatible android head unit, but everything available seems to be for cars between 1999-2004. Anyone with the same year car as me with a decent head unit?
The 99 - 04 are the same as your car, they're all E46's and will fit.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:42 PM   #5
masaeb

Thank you all for the detailed replies!
masaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
Robb-Indian Wells

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaeb View Post

I have the Dynavin—spendy but excellent.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics mobile app
Robb-Indian Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:10 PM   #7
Jacob Mireles

My Ride: 330cic ZHP
Year: 2006
Get the avant avin 4, there is a thread about it. I got it this past Christmas, well worth the money.
Jacob Mireles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:10 AM   #8
sprung330

AVH-2550nex

I put a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX in my e46. I didn't cut anything for it to fit so it sticks out a bit.

Honestly, the look took some getting used to. But it was relatively cheap, compatible with Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Kept my steering wheel controls and added a back up camera and extra USB and HDMI ports.

I would recommend if you don't really want to pay for the dynavin.
sprung330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
toddkageals

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2004
Model: 330CI Convertible
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Alpine makes a double din head unit that is only 3 inches deep. Kenwood has a 3" deep head unit available to pre-order. I've been considering one of those for my 2004 330CIC. They should fit without cutting anything and I found a double din face plate that matches the E46 dash on Amazon. Just a thought.
2002 M3 Convertible SMG (not that impressed)
2008 330i Auto (Meh....)
2012 335i Sport Auto (current daily driver, wow that motor makes some torque/power)
2004 330Ci Convertible 6 Speed (current project....I drive this most days....not sure why!?! Just something about the E46)
toddkageals is offline   Reply With Quote