Help - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
99E46Swap

Help

Hey so I have a 99' E46 and I blew the motor at 234k , I'm looking for a new motor but still yet I want to swap it with something and with the swap all I'm looking for is about 300+ hp but the part is it looking for something that I would have to do the least adjustments that will plug and play . Help I'm a Dodge fanatic but I love my E46
99E46Swap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99E46Swap View Post
Hey so I have a 99' E46 and I blew the motor at 234k , I'm looking for a new motor but still yet I want to swap it with something and with the swap all I'm looking for is about 300+ hp but the part is it looking for something that I would have to do the least adjustments that will plug and play . Help I'm a Dodge fanatic but I love my E46
You wont find 300hp without forced induction and that will not be plug and play so your best option is to just replace the engine with another M52TUB28 and accept the 190hp and call it a day.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
S54 with ews delete mss54 should be the most plug and play swap. Still a lot of work imo. Most likely need to replace the trans no matter what swap you do

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 11:14 PM   #4
99E46Swap

Dude That's pretty obvious the motors not going to put out 300 itself, you can settle for 190 but not I . And I was just looking at s54
99E46Swap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #5
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Quote:
Dude That's pretty obvious the motors not going to put out 300 itself, you can settle for 190 but not I . And I was just looking at s54
No need to be snippy, your original post stated you wanted the least amount of effort and wanted it to be plug and play. Go ahead and jump right on that S54 swap and let us know how easy that was. It certainly will not be easy or plug and play or we would all have them.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:17 PM   #6
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
The other factor to consider is that 300 hp will tear a '99-'01 E46's RACP post haste. And I'd do reinforcements even in the later models.

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:28 AM   #7
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Quote:
Every other motor is going to need custom everything to somehow fit it in. Not to mention the stock transmission won't fit on any crazy swaps. Besides that the ecu tuning would be a pain. I would go s54 for easiest swap. However I would like to see a n54 swap in an e46. That would get you 300 hp & 300 tq with option if 500ish on stock motor.

If you are serious and have like 6k to spend on your ride I would go with n54 + whatever manual trans fits. Will probably need custom drive shaft, motor + trans mounts at the very minimum. Could maybe get a ecu and stuff from a part out to make it all work for cheapish.

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote