DISA Question - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
dcminiman_43
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 391
My Ride: 2004 325i
DISA Question

About to Install a New DISA And was curious with how the OG O-Ring is, once I install it, am I able to Remove And re install again for inspection or other repairs are needed that involve its removal? Only because I've seen on some sites that it's a one and done deal once install, can't be installed again because of the material the O-Ring is made of.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Current Vehicles

1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2dr 2.5 5spd (Project)

2004 Mystic Blue 325I 5spd (Daily)
dcminiman_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
cvx5832
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 4,820
My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcminiman_43 View Post
About to Install a New DISA And was curious with how the OG O-Ring is, once I install it, am I able to Remove And re install again for inspection or other repairs are needed that involve its removal? Only because I've seen on some sites that it's a one and done deal once install, can't be installed again because of the material the O-Ring is made of.
Scrape it off and get an actual o-ring. That's what most of us have done. Just do a good job removing the old.
__________________


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #3
dcminiman_43
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 391
My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
Scrape it off and get an actual o-ring. That's what most of us have done. Just do a good job removing the old.
Would it come off alot easier being a brand new DISA? I do have a Viton O-Ring that fits the 2.5 DiSA laying around.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Current Vehicles

1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2dr 2.5 5spd (Project)

2004 Mystic Blue 325I 5spd (Daily)
dcminiman_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #4
Newbimer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 585
My Ride: 2005 325i
Dental picks work great for getting out the old O ring. Clean out as much as you can, the cleaner the better, carefully so as not to damage the plastic surface. Replacement O ring is fairly cheap. Advance auto parts (part # 35489) same as water outlet O ring for a 91-94 Ford Probe.
Newbimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
dcminiman_43
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 391
My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbimer View Post
Dental picks work great for getting out the old O ring. Clean out as much as you can, the cleaner the better, carefully so as not to damage the plastic surface. Replacement O ring is fairly cheap. Advance auto parts (part # 35489) same as water outlet O ring for a 91-94 Ford Probe.
Newbimer it's a brand new DISA, I have an extra viton O-Ring from a kit I used in a previous DISA , was seeing if it be easier to pull off

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Current Vehicles

1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2dr 2.5 5spd (Project)

2004 Mystic Blue 325I 5spd (Daily)
dcminiman_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
LeverThis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,839
My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbimer View Post
Dental picks work great for getting out the old O ring. Clean out as much as you can, the cleaner the better, carefully so as not to damage the plastic surface. Replacement O ring is fairly cheap. Advance auto parts (part # 35489) same as water outlet O ring for a 91-94 Ford Probe.
Avoid using picks that are too sharp because you don't want to damage the plastic housing. The cheap small pick set at Harbor Freight is all you really need, or even a small screwdriver if carefull. The original is like a hard silicone rtv, you might need something sharp initially to cut into it to make a start, but once you get an opening a duller tool is safer.

Fwiw, check out German Auto Solutions for a quality DISA o-rings sized correctly for a 325i.
https://germanautosolutions.com/stor...ousing-o-ring/

Newbimer, did that Ford water pump oring work? I've read both positive and negatives about that approach.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer

Last edited by LeverThis; 02-08-2020 at 06:51 PM.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
LeverThis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,839
My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcminiman_43 View Post
Newbimer it's a brand new DISA, I have an extra viton O-Ring from a kit I used in a previous DISA , was seeing if it be easier to pull off

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
If it's a new disa, then just use it as is. You don't want it easy to pull off or put on, that's a sign of a bad seal. The resistance means its sealing well. Keep the extra o ring in case the new one develops a leak from being removed and installed again, but I doubt that would happen anytime soon.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer

Last edited by LeverThis; 02-08-2020 at 06:59 PM.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #8
dcminiman_43
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 391
My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
If it's a new disa, then just use it as is. You don't want it easy to pull off or put on, that's a sign of a bad seal. The resistance means its sealing well. Keep the extra o ring in case the new one develops a leak from being removed and installed again, but I doubt that would happen anytime soon.
So in theory your saying I'd be safe to install it and remove for future work ie: lower intake boot, ICV etc. If need be say in he next few months or so, just know everything is fragile in this area

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Current Vehicles

1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2dr 2.5 5spd (Project)

2004 Mystic Blue 325I 5spd (Daily)
dcminiman_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #9
dcminiman_43
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 391
My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
Avoid using picks that are too sharp because you don't want to damage the plastic housing. The cheap small pick set at Harbor Freight is all you really need, or even a small screwdriver if carefull. The original is like a hard silicone rtv, you might need something sharp initially to cut into it to make a start, but once you get an opening a duller tool is safer.

Fwiw, check out German Auto Solutions for a quality DISA o-rings sized correctly for a 325i.
https://germanautosolutions.com/stor...ousing-o-ring/

Newbimer, did that Ford water pump oring work? I've read both positive and negatives about that approach.
I have a Viton O-Ring, just everything on this car is 16yo, and never did this or lower intake boot and both look so intimating and one of those scenarios that if I'm off on something when I replace there goes my mode of transportation I'm really nervous about the pin that holds the flap

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Current Vehicles

1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2dr 2.5 5spd (Project)

2004 Mystic Blue 325I 5spd (Daily)
dcminiman_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #10
LeverThis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,839
My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcminiman_43 View Post
I have a Viton O-Ring, just everything on this car is 16yo, and never did this or lower intake boot and both look so intimating and one of those scenarios that if I'm off on something when I replace there goes my mode of transportation I'm really nervous about the pin that holds the flap

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
But you said the disa is brand new though, right? I think having the viton oring on hand is a good back up for the seal going bad if you remove it too many times, but the flapper pin should be good for years on a brand new disa. It's the original 16 year old disa's that lose the flapper pin.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:38 PM   #11
dcminiman_43
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 391
My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
But you said the disa is brand new though, right? I think having the viton oring on hand is a good back up for the seal going bad if you remove it too many times, but the flapper pin should be good for years on a brand new disa. It's the original 16 year old disa's that lose the flapper pin.
Yeah that's the one I'm nervous about..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Current Vehicles

1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2dr 2.5 5spd (Project)

2004 Mystic Blue 325I 5spd (Daily)
dcminiman_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #12
LeverThis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,839
My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcminiman_43 View Post
So in theory your saying I'd be safe to install it and remove for future work ie: lower intake boot, ICV etc. If need be say in he next few months or so, just know everything is fragile in this area

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Ahh, just saw this. I would think that a brand new DISA seal can withstand a few installs and removals, but I don't have any experience with that either. I think they fail because of compression over a long time (many years), not because of install and removal. Use a bit of silicone paste as lube on the install to protect the seal from tearing when going in and it should be fine.

I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't preemptively change a brand new disa seal just because I plan to remove it in the future and it might fail then. I personally would try it because its brand new and see how it holds up after removal, and then if needed use the viton oring since you have it already. Half laziness, half save the replacement till you really need it and half if its brand new dont fix it rationale.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer

Last edited by LeverThis; 02-08-2020 at 07:52 PM.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #13
dcminiman_43
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 391
My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
Ahh, just saw this. I would think that a brand new DISA seal can withstand a few installs and removals, but I don't have any experience with that either. I think they fail because of compression over a long time (many years), not because of install and removal. Use a bit of silicone paste as lube on the install to protect the seal from tearing when going in and it should be fine.



I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't preemptively change a brand new disa seal just because I plan to remove it in the future and it might fail then. I personally would try it and see how it holds up, and then if needed use the viton oring since you have it already.
Yeah my issue is i noticed It was noisey last spring, and the last few week under 28°F I'd get a pending code of P0174 on my ultra gauge, and the other day it was 56 out so I thought I'd be nice and open up the throttle abit to blow some carbon out. Ever since at red lights etc it has a slight shutter/hesitant but normal rpms of 650-760 as I normally see it monitor at. But I'll get the pending code again and then takes a day or 2 but will pull the P0174/71 codes. So wanna swap this to rule it out if anything at least that anxiety of the Disa grenading my motor will be gone, jus will be a pain with how cold it is and no garage to tear into the lower boot ugh...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Current Vehicles

1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2dr 2.5 5spd (Project)

2004 Mystic Blue 325I 5spd (Daily)
dcminiman_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #14
LeverThis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,839
My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcminiman_43 View Post
Yeah my issue is i noticed It was noisey last spring, and the last few week under 28°F I'd get a pending code of P0174 on my ultra gauge, and the other day it was 56 out so I thought I'd be nice and open up the throttle abit to blow some carbon out. Ever since at red lights etc it has a slight shutter/hesitant but normal rpms of 650-760 as I normally see it monitor at. But I'll get the pending code again and then takes a day or 2 but will pull the P0174/71 codes. So wanna swap this to rule it out if anything at least that anxiety of the Disa grenading my motor will be gone, jus will be a pain with how cold it is and no garage to tear into the lower boot ugh...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Lol ... so you did an Italian tune up? Not sure that that's directly related to your lean codes, so don't feel bad about that. If the disa is noisey (rattling) then definitely either replace or fix with German Auto Solution flapper kit ... you had a thread about this recently I think and you already had ordered the new disa before someone mentioned the flapper kit.

So definitely put the new disa in to fix the rattle, Im just saying there's is no pressing need to replace a brand new disa seal unless you want to.

On the lower boot, are the ring gear clamps facing downward? If so, the boot has never been off and its a pain to undo. Easiest access is from below with an 8mm 1/4 inch drive socket on an extension and maybe u-joint wobbly bit as well ... if I remember correctly. Make sure to face the clamps upwards on reinstall to avoid the problem again.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #15
dcminiman_43
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 391
My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
Lol ... so you did an Italian tune up? Not sure that that's directly related to your lean codes, so don't feel bad about that. If the disa is noisey (rattling) then definitely either replace or fix with German Auto Solution flapper kit ... you had a thread about this recently I think and you already had ordered the new disa before someone mentioned the flapper kit.



So definitely put the new disa in to fix the rattle, Im just saying there's is no pressing need to replace a brand new disa seal unless you want to.



On the lower boot, are the ring gear clamps facing downward? If so, the boot has never been off and its a pain to undo. Easiest access is from below with an 8mm 1/4 inch drive socket on an extension and maybe u-joint wobbly bit as well ... if I remember correctly. Make sure to face the clamps upwards on reinstall to avoid the problem again.
I do know about the flapper kit, tho I don't plan on having this car as my daily much longer with the longer drive I have, tho not getting another vehicle till end of year either, shes approaching 160k so this is the time everything else like to go that hasn't, not that I can't rebuild i just don't have the time with this being the only vehicle i have at the moment.

And yeah more so I don't drive it hard in the winter since we get alot of ice here.

I have to check about the washers being upside down I did the upper boot 2years ago and it was bad so I'm sure the lower one has never been done, its survived 160k with alot of its factory parts.

Was crossing my fingers she would start PMSing when it started to warm up


And is it 8mm? All videos I've seen say a 6mm


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Current Vehicles

1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2dr 2.5 5spd (Project)

2004 Mystic Blue 325I 5spd (Daily)

Last edited by dcminiman_43; 02-08-2020 at 08:31 PM.
dcminiman_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:15 AM   #16
swordsman11868
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,198
My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
I haven’t read the entire thread but here’s my observation: the original orange o ring will definitely flatten over time. The GAS o ring will not.

How do I know? I had a GAS blue fluoro-silicone installed for a few years. When I removed the DISA the GAS o ring was just as springy as when new.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
__________________
I'm just here to change the world.
BMW Wiki:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.