E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Almost ZHP nachtblau 330i

10K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  leonidas 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello to everyone
After selling my beloved 330D...

here is the thread:
330d topazblau TOURING

...and driving E60 for three years, I surrendered to my inner urge to buy this excellent driving machine E46 again. After several months long search on the car selling web sites I conntacted owner of one master piece from near Stuttgart. The guy was excelent seller who told me every detail from the car history, took it to the workshop his family owned, changed all fluids and made more detailed pictures from the bottom of the car. Car is equipped with automatic transmission so even my wife can use it to drive to work and back when needed, or to take it for a drive sometimes when I will be abroad for longer period I sometimes do. Suspension was replaced for KW KV1 version. Exhaust is Eisenman up to cats. Head unit is replaced for android type and subwoofer is in rear seats. Exterior of the car is designed like the ZHP in every possible way one can option here in Europe. Only alcantara steering wheel, shifter, handbrake boots and red needles on gauge cluster are excluded. Unfortunately, first owner repainted silver cube trim which is a pity. I will definitely keep you updated with all mods, repairs, or pictures I will do to it.

Maintenance and mods:

Cat Back Intermediate Muffler Section EISENMANN b5304.0001
2x70mm Performance Exhaust EISENMANN b5304.00700
Cooling System Check, Coolant Change, Expansion Tank Cap
Brake Pads Front + Rear ATP
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Assembly (Hydraulic)
Front + Rear Shock Top Mount MEYLE
Transmission Flush, Oil and filter change
Tie Rod Assembly Left + Right, Driveline parts
Styling 135M Repaint
Subwoofer Axton ATB25B

Headunit + Android upgrade v 6.0 ERISINE
Differential Oil Castrol Syntrax Long Life 75W-90
Summer Tires 2x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 255/35 ZR18
Nozzle Headlight Cleaner Magnetti Marelli 711307030115
Power Steering Fluid Reservoir LEMFORDER
Washer Fluid Jet MAGNETTI MARELLI
Power Steering Hose MEYLE 3592020001
Power Steering Pump BMW 32416760034
Oil Filter Cap Vaico V20-1802
Power steering hose FEBI 36876
Reinforcement brace screws BMW 31106772199
Front struts Reinforcment plates BMW 51717036781
Taillights ground connection reinforcement
Interior trim repaint
Undercarriage rust removal and protection

Sidemarkers
Torque Converter and transmission Rebuild
Valve Cover Grommet 15x FEBI 24322
Valve Cover Gasket VIKTOR REINZ 15-33077-02
Spark Plugs NGK BKR6EQUP
VANOS oil hose Washer 2x BMW 32411093596
VANOS oil hose MEYLE 3590010002
Vanos fit bolt 2x BMW 11361748745
Repair Kit Brake Caliper 2x ERT 401435
Brake Hose rear 2x TRW PHB425
Oil Filter Housing Gasket BMW 11421719855
Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor BMW 12147518628
Position Sensor O-Ring BMW 12141748398
Repair Kit Double Vanos MEHENKER
Timing Cover Plug 2x BMW 11361433513

Sensor for Headlight Levelling Device Front FEBI 32328
Driver Door Break VIEROL vi v20-0911
Fuel Filter MANN WK 532/1
Windshield Perimeter Trim Moulding Gasket
Temperature gauge buffer range change
High Gloss Outer Weatherstrip
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Personal luxury car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Luxury vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Bmw
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Personal luxury car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Center console
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat cover
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Gear shift

See less See more
#35 · (Edited)
When I can have a rest after a lot of work on the car I keep myself busy thanks to my clumsiness. Hitting a curb is always painfull experience but in this case it hurt double because the previous owner had the wheels refurbished in very beautifull colour:banghead:. I was always scared to scratch them because they are painted in slightly blue silver. When trying to find matching colour I spent about 20 minutes kneeling down with about 50 samples of silver but in the end I think I made it. When being aware of repair being done and looking very closely it can be seen but for most people just standing next to car it is invisible so I am satisfied with myself :woot:

#36 · (Edited)
After 8 months from when I adressed the rust on the undercariage with Hammerite and Fluidfilm I went down to check the damage the winter had caused and to my surprise there was almost no rust. I did not trust so much in Hammerite but I was hyped by all the good reviews on Fluidfilm and now I can say it is all true. The only rust spots I found were on the top of the half shafts (because I did not turned the wheels when treating them:facepalm:), and on the frame that goes under the diff because I scratched the paint away when using this part as a jacking point. There still were traces of the fluidfilm in deeper areas where water does not splash from wheels. After the check I happily reapplied another layer for this winter. In future, I will probably invest money in their spray gun and will be using more thicker formula of fluidfilm that protects better and lasts longer than spray can version.

After reapplication...

#37 ·
When preparing for winter I did not forget about clearcoat as well. Car was washed with ValetPRO Concentrated Car Wash, all previous coatings were stripped off with Carpro Eraser and then coated with Soft99 Fusso Coat 12M Dark. During summer I usually use Collinite Marque D Elegance 915 for its deep glossy finish but for winter I prefere Fusso because it lasts much longer and beeds water like noone else. On front bumper, hood, roof and trunk lid it lasted for 5 months last winter. On rear bumper, side skirts, and doors especially behind wheels the wax was dead much sooner of course.

#40 · (Edited)
After comming back from deployment I have found starting rust spot on rear fender that needed a bit of an attention. I tried new epoxy like solution called Brunox to seal bare metal to prevent further rusting (putty, primer, paint and clearcoat are all porous and that is why every repaired spot rusts again after few years). Because it was a spray paint job it needed wetsanding in the end. I used blender to connect old and new clearcoat. Under certain angle when sunny the borders can be seen but anaway I am satisfied with the outcome. Far from professional but invisible for the passers by.

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Fender

Auto part Tire Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bumper

Personal protective equipment
Automotive exterior Bumper Tire Automotive design Automotive tire
Automotive design Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Mode of transport
Car Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Rim
Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire Auto part
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Vehicle door Bumper

#42 · (Edited)
Recently I bought diagnosing and coding package including ISTA D, ISTA P, INPA, NCSExpert, WinKFP and few others I have not used yet and started play with it. Besides trying what diagnostics can I do, I also coded features like closing windows after key is out and door is open, US DRL, or changed coolant temperature gauge buffer range from 75-115 °C to 90-100 °C so now I can see if my thermostat is soft failing and also have more time to react if getting engine overheated. Big thanks to Mr. Philadelphia and the others who elaborated on this mod.

Tire Vehicle Automotive wheel system Font Technology

#43 · (Edited)
Few weeks ago I noticed some grey spots on the drivers door and the swelling of weather strip. After removal I realised that few centimeters of alluminium that is inside the weather strip has just rotten away from both sides. Fully motivated to solve it I contacted local part dealer but after he told me the price I must have sit down and take a really deep breath. 259€. So I contacted few guys who were selling used ones but all of them have the same issue developed. I took another deep breath and purchase new piece of this high gloss jewel.
Tire Rim Material property Spoke Auto part

Wood Floor Countertop Hardwood Table
Red Material property

#44 · (Edited)
Winter prep begins. First step was interior cleaning, vacuuming, carpets and seats extracting, alcantara brushing. In the end all hard materials were rejuvenated and trim was waxed. Step two was washing and Soft99 Fusso Coat application which proved to last most of the previous winter. Anyway I am considering to polish it and try ceramic coating next year. My only doubt is that these cars love to rust and what if I will need to fix it by doing spot job again. Do you guys have some experience with removing ceramic coating in such cases?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Steering wheel Luxury vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Personal luxury car
Steering part Steering wheel Vehicle Car Auto part
Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim
Car White Personal luxury car Vehicle Photograph
Vehicle Car Windshield Automotive exterior Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Rim

#45 · (Edited)
Second step was maintenance and little repair. Windshield wipers, all filters, and oil was changed. I also changed intake camshaft position sensor for the new OEM one because we all know that aftermarket do not work. The old one was oily so I was affraid his time was comming.

By using this type of allen tool I did not need to remove VANOS hose.
Auto part Engine Automotive fuel system Automotive engine part Vehicle

Funniest part of the job was fishing the cable under the intake manifold to the electric box. I ziptied end of the new one with the other end of the old one and pulled through. For those who come after us, wrap the both ends with tape. Mine got stucked in the place where I cannot reach so it took some more time than I expect.

Technology Electronic device Wire Cable Baggage

During the winter I usually charge the battery every month or two but once a year before winter I recondition it to mix the battery acid to prolong its life. Charging voltage is 15.8V so the battery should be disconnected and that is why I did it through the trunk and not from the hood side.

...and new winter rims has just arrived
Cardboard Carton Box Material property Wood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.