Need a space to throw a party! - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Need a space to throw a party!

My place is a not terribly spacious. I've had 20 or so people there at the same time and while it turned out well, it was a on the verge of being a bit too tight. I'm expecting a few more people this time, maybe twice that. I don't want to replicate a crowded bar in my living room.

I've looked into some clubhouses, but most only allow you to stay til 11-12.

Do I have any options other than to try and convince a friend with more space to host my party?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
You can rent out a veterans hall or firehouse for pretty cheap
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
'busa

A firehouse? Are you kidding me? That would be awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
Around here, depending on size, it's usually at a VFW hall, American Legion hall, volunteer firehouse, party in the park, at a house or rent out a bar.

Not sure if any of those are available to you.
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Let's take a step back, what type of party? You mention a bar in your living room, what about a private room in a bar or restaurant?

If family or kids, a vfw thing would work. To be honest though, they are cheesy.

Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon, E92 M3
Rent out a bar. Usually they'll have a tab minimum, but with 40 people that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by cowmoo32; 04-26-2013 at 10:11 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
Let's take a step back, what type of party? You mention a bar in your living room, what about a private room in a bar or restaurant?
An 80s style birthday party. Don't ask. I expect it to get loud and borderline out of control. I don't think being in a private room in a bar or restaurant would give other people enough space from us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
If family or kids, a vfw thing would work. To be honest though, they are cheesy.
Yes, they are. Plus, looking at VFW and firehouses that post their prices on the internet leads me to believe that it would cost me anywhere between $600-$1000 to do this. In that case, I'd rather put my bed on an it's edge, buy a few more chairs and use both my living room and my bedroom to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Rent out a bar. Usually they'll have a tab minimum, but with 40 people that shouldn't be a problem.
On a Saturday? I don't know how many bars would go for that.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My fraternity used to rent out bars all the time, not a problem as long as you bring enough people. Just call around and see what kind of tab you would need to cover.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
accolade

Quote:
My fraternity used to rent out bars all the time, not a problem as long as you bring enough people. Just call around and see what kind of tab you would need to cover.
Yep. I live in a town that's loaded with bars. If you guarantee 40 people it's usually $30 all you can drink (top shelf too), and they will throw out a couple of trays of food. Guarantee 30 people and it's $40 a person.

Only problem is that if you only have 30 people show up, you need to shell out the extra cash.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
'busa

Quote:
The other thing is, I'd rather not have my guests have to spend money on drinks. I'll get the majority and if everyone brings a bottle or a pack of something, we'll be golden.

I also don't want to force anyone to have to pay x amount for all-you-can-drink...

Last edited by 'busa; 04-26-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
choxor

My Ride: Redneck Truck
Can I come

choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
klangford
I got nothin'

My Ride: 07 Maserati QP
Send a message via AIM to klangford
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Can I come
That's what she said
2000 328i - Daughter's first BMW
2007 Maserati Quattroporte - my current ride
klangford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
accolade

Do you know anyone that could potentially get a discount at a firehouse or VFW?

A park party is definitely the cheapest way to go and you can get an ice luge for some added wholesome fun.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
The other thing is, I'd rather not have my guests have to spend money on drinks. I'll get the majority and if everyone brings a bottle or a pack of something, we'll be golden.

I also don't want to force anyone to have to pay x amount for all-you-can-drink...
Ah, well that changes things. I wonder if you could call a commercial realtor and find an empty space? Maybe someone is willing to make a few bucks.

Last edited by cowmoo32; 04-26-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Can I come
Let me think about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
Do you know anyone that could potentially get a discount at a firehouse or VFW?

A park party is definitely the cheapest way to go and you can get an ice luge for some added wholesome fun.
But we can't stay in a park til 3, 4 or 5 am.

Quote:
Ah, well that changes things. I wonder if you could call a commercial realtor and find an empty space? Maybe someone is willing to make a few bucks.
Maybe...

Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Caden

My Ride: 2012 Genesis 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
Yep. I live in a town that's loaded with bars. If you guarantee 40 people it's usually $30 all you can drink (top shelf too), and they will throw out a couple of trays of food. Guarantee 30 people and it's $40 a person.

Only problem is that if you only have 30 people show up, you need to shell out the extra cash.
That's only $1200. A bar would be down for that on a Saturday? I would think most bars make way more than that on a Saturday unless it's a dive.

Preivous BMWs: 1988 325is, 2001 325i, 2001 330ci vert, 2006 325i.

Others of note: 2012 Genesis 5.0, 2011 Audi S4 APR Stage II.
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
HallisterJ1

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2003 M3
I live in SD so the options of renting things out are endless. I rented out two mansions (7,000 sq ft) back in high school for birthday parties I had for myself, for one night + the security deposit it's not that bad. A bar and or firehouse are both great ideas!

HallisterJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
we've done this before and rented out a Knights of Columbus. It had a bar and they even provided a bar tender. It was very reasonable.
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
www.airbnb.com

simsima325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

Ahh a house is a good idea. Check out www.vrbo.com, most places on there have nightly rates. I've used it on multiple occasions, great site.