Something you learned today that was new or intersting... - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Something you learned today that was new or intersting...

Searched but couldnt find a thread like it....the only one that was similar was Cowmoo's science thread. Im pretty sure everyone learns at least one new thing everyday so I thought it would be cool to see what other fanatics are out experiencing/learning.

Me: learned about game theory and how it relates to the decisions of peoples choices by using mathematical calculations. Also learned about the thermo properties and molecular structures of various types of plastics used for packaging and how to use differential scanning calorimetry to analyze these structures.
“But as I look overall at the capitalist economies, there are a lot of good things doing, and I think you can tune the tax parameters and get way more equity and get some additional government services and still be in the same basic framework.”
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon, E92 M3
I learned that when light is reflected from a mirror, what you're seeing isn't a result of the same photons coming from the image being reflected back to your eyes. They are absorbed and very very similar (but still slightly different) photons are emitted. That pretty much blew my mind.

edit: What exactly is game theory? I've read about it in passing but never gave it any time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cowmoo32; 10-04-2011 at 09:09 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I learned that when light is reflected from a mirror, what you're seeing isn't a result of the same photons coming from the image being reflected back to your eyes. They are absorbed and very very similar (but still slightly different) photons are emitted. That pretty much blew my mind.

edit: What exactly is game theory? I've read about it in passing but never gave it any time.
That blows my mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Andy2108

My Ride: SpecE46 & E46 M3
My mother's X5 diesel will launch like crazy if you get the turbo going

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
That Phila charges a city income tax % for working in the city.

I recoded my office to where it really is and gave myself a "raise"
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Post the sources where you learned this so we can understand it rather than just read what it is.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Kwando

My Ride: rolls Volks TE-37SL
The A&W double prime rib burger was not as good as I thought it would be on account of the poor prime rib to bun ratio.

Kwando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
RogueStatus37

My Ride: '04 330ci
My buddy showed me a new way to bench press at the gym to help focus it more on your chest and less on your shoulders. Cool stuff.

2004 330Ci ZSP 6-Speed

Blackout grills l Smoked Reflectors l CCFL Angel Eyes l Gloss Black Roof Vinyl l BSW Speaker Upgrade l 3.46 Open Diff l BMW Performance SSKl M3 Style Trunk Spoiler
H&R Sport Cup Spring Kit l RHO Tow Hook Plate l Nokya Hyper-yellow Fogs l Stainless Steel Headers l Tuner Slotted Brake Kit l AXXIS/PBR Metal Master Pads l BMW AUX Input Kit

RogueStatus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon, E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Post the sources where you learned this so we can understand it rather than just read what it is.
Read it here first, just another reason I love Reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/Physics/comm...for_my_phd_in/

But after doing a little more investigating I landed here
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ors-reflect-ph

cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Toxx

My Ride: 2000 323i
Just learned basic photography terms in digital photography class! Shutter speed, ISO, etc
Toxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
If you mix acetylene and pure silver shavings or pure copper shavings in a plastic bottle they will react and explode

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? click

Supercharger build thread click
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
That there is "class warfare" going on right now and people like me are getting screwed on a daily basis, but no one has yet quantified to me how so.

Quote:
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
I learned 5 Hour Extra strength instantly makes me ****

Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #14
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
class but i can try to find sources
“But as I look overall at the capitalist economies, there are a lot of good things doing, and I think you can tune the tax parameters and get way more equity and get some additional government services and still be in the same basic framework.”
Old 10-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
Guest021715
Account closed.

I learned that an M3 can look like shrek

Guest021715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #16
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post

Old 10-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #17
NJ///M

My Ride: TACO TRUCK/CBR600F4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend; Those with loaded guns and those who dig."
NJ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #18
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post

This explains the basics, its a section Im learning in my management systems class which is industrial engineering related

http://www.dklevine.com/general/whatis.htm
Old 10-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
bimmerfan08

So today learned the blanching process for vegetables and the pasturization process for milk in food processing lab. Also had to learn calculations for damped and random vibrations acting on a package/product in transit.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #20
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast
would like to learn somethng new.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote