Steering wheel play. How I found the cure. - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 87 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 01:59 AM   #81
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JELBMW330I View Post
nice to bring the thread back b/c i think that might be my problem. how much does it go for?
$30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:14 AM   #82
vanzalone

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Unhappy Dealer did not drive it enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
Technically, it's not applicable for cars after the 10/00 production, but prior to that there was a service bulletin issued about incorrect torque on the front sway bar mounts. Apparently the mounting bolts had paint on them and would read as fully torqued when actually still a little loose. The resulting symptom is described as "..a clunking or cracking noise from the front of the car when making turns at slow speeds."

I'd suggest checking this anyway, along with the other suspension bits, to see if anything is loose or has play in it. Has the dealer already done this, or do you have any records of what the dealer has done?
Yes, been to dealer and its the classic "could not reproduce the problem"
It takes a few dozen miles (after sitting overnight) for the problem to occur again. Once its happening, it does it all day. I will be sending it in again but only after getting it to happen and driving it there for them to witness.

My symptom is a little different from others. Once "warmed" the resistant feel in the wheel only occurs when turning left 2-to-4" from straight. The tension in the steering wheel builds up and then its a definite load "click/clunk" noise that seems to be coming from somewhere in the column (I say this from how it feels only).

I do not get the noise when turning the same method right from straight.

The tech bulliten you sent does not seem to be the same issue but I do appreciate the help.

So far the dealer has repalced all the brakes (rotors and pads) and the control arm bushings.

Any thoughts? I am wanting to lean toward blaming this lower flex joint.
vanzalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #83
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanzalone View Post
Yes, been to dealer and its the classic "could not reproduce the problem"
It takes a few dozen miles (after sitting overnight) for the problem to occur again. Once its happening, it does it all day. I will be sending it in again but only after getting it to happen and driving it there for them to witness.

My symptom is a little different from others. Once "warmed" the resistant feel in the wheel only occurs when turning left 2-to-4" from straight. The tension in the steering wheel builds up and then its a definite load "click/clunk" noise that seems to be coming from somewhere in the column (I say this from how it feels only).

I do not get the noise when turning the same method right from straight.

The tech bulliten you sent does not seem to be the same issue but I do appreciate the help.

So far the dealer has repalced all the brakes (rotors and pads) and the control arm bushings.

Any thoughts? I am wanting to lean toward blaming this lower flex joint.
In the second tech doc I posted "steering diagnosis" - there's couple things that seem to match your description of the problem -
* dirt in the steering system
* sucking in air
* faulty pressure relief valve in the power steering pump

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #84
vanzalone

Question one direction?

Quote:
In the second tech doc I posted "steering diagnosis" - there's couple things that seem to match your description of the problem -
* sucking in air
Really? But, why only when turning in one direction (left)?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:42 AM   #85
jpr

Quote:
Really? But, why only when turning in one direction (left)?
Perhaps you've got dirt in one line but not the other, or perhaps there's a seal leak on one side but not the other.

Hard to say exactly, but it's certainly possible. For example, while I was in college I had power steering on a 1970 Mustang that only worked when turning left. Looking back, it's rather funny how much time and effort I spent figuring out how to get places only making left turns rather than fixing the problem.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:47 AM   #86
vanzalone

Talking Ode to college life...

Quote:
Perhaps you've got dirt in one line but not the other, or perhaps there's a seal leak on one side but not the other.

Hard to say exactly, but it's certainly possible. For example, while I was in college I had power steering on a 1970 Mustang that only worked when turning left. Looking back, it's rather funny how much time and effort I spent figuring out how to get places only making left turns rather than fixing the problem.
Only when in college would you have to make such a decision...

"fix the car or beer money ... humm????"

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #87
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
I'll be ordering this part and putting it in.. i'll add it to my maintence plan.. Great post.. Thanks

~T|/\/\
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #88
Jelly335

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330I
Send a message via AIM to Jelly335
Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
$30
nice. well here my problem i dont no if that is it. everytime i turn the wheel or hear a bump i hear a clunking clicking sound. i hope that is it so i can change it. its driving me nuts

E46 330i retired
E92 335 current
<3 my one wheel wonder

-Jeremy
Jelly335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #89
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
so if i have that knocking noise when turing left to right it would be part number 2 right and also number 1. tnx alot guys. you guys rock
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #90
vanzalone

Question Possibly related to heat?

Quote:
* sucking in air
How might heat play a role in this? I have been noticing the problem a bit less over the past few days.

I noticed in the parts picture breakdown that there is a
cooler pipe on the steer rack mechanism.

Coincidently, the outside temp has been less and I have not used the A/C as much. Both together should cause things to run a bit cooler.

Could heat cause this fluid breakdown creating air in the lines?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #91
330i_guy

My Ride: 330i
anybody knows if this steering wheels problem covered by the CPO warranty?

steering wheels on my car have this clanking noise and play (kinda loose) when just turn it 2" to the left and right
330i_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #92
jpr

Quote:
How might heat play a role in this? I have been noticing the problem a bit less over the past few days.

I noticed in the parts picture breakdown that there is a
cooler pipe on the steer rack mechanism.

Coincidently, the outside temp has been less and I have not used the A/C as much. Both together should cause things to run a bit cooler.

Could heat cause this fluid breakdown creating air in the lines?
Heat changes things, oil viscosity goes down, parts expand at different rates, if there's dirt in the system more of it may be in motion once the system is warmed up.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #93
vanzalone

Smile Brown milky fluid in PS res

Quote:
Heat changes things, oil viscosity goes down, parts expand at different rates, if there's dirt in the system more of it may be in motion once the system is warmed up.
The fluid was an ugly brown when I peaked into the PS reserve yesterday.

I bought 2 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and a $2 turkey bayster and I will be doing the "bail and fill" flush technique this weekend.

I can only help the situation
Old 10-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #94
atldinan3

My Ride: ZHP
burj 323 (or anyone/everyone else),

I dont know if I am having this problem (and thus whether I should apply the fix). Here is my situation:

My cars steering SUX. I spent the last 9 years driving e36's and the steering was one of the main reasons I fell in love with BMW. Everywhere I go the car steered like a racecar. Perfect amount of road vibrations passed through to the wheel, great steering, especially at highway speeds. I ALWAYS felt like I was in 100% total control....

...now I'm driving an e46 (ZHP) and the steering SUX. It doesnt just suk, it SUX SUX SUX. Comparatively that is. The steering is very lite, especially on the highway. Its got almost an inch of play on either side. But if i go much more than that then it feels like I'll yank the car out of control. Basically I feel as if I am almost driving a truck. I freakin hate having this car on the highway.

No clunking, no scraping - none of that stuff.

So the qstn is, is this just the way the e46 is compared to the e36? If so, is there something I can adjust? Or is there something wrong that needs to be fixed (like at the beginning of this post).

Thanks all
RIP: '98 M3/4/5 - Cosmos/Black - Dinan CAI, TB & Stage III SW; Supersprint exhaust; Z3 SSK; X-brace, 320i TrannyMounts & ZHP weighted shifter knob (coolest mod ever!!)
SOLD: '97 Dinan3 Sedan - Titanium/Black - (Based off 328i w/sport pkg)
atldinan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #95
jpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by atldinan3 View Post
So the qstn is, is this just the way the e46 is compared to the e36? If so, is there something I can adjust? Or is there something wrong that needs to be fixed (like at the beginning of this post).
Something's wrong.

I'd suggest starting with a good alignment (and be sure to get a copy of the report)

Old 10-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #96
vanzalone

Thumbs Up PS working better (so far, so good)

Quote:
The fluid was an ugly brown when I peaked into the PS reserve yesterday.

I bought 2 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and a $2 turkey bayster and I will be doing the "bail and fill" flush technique this weekend.

I can only help the situation
Couldn't wait and did it last night. Five "bail and fiill" cycles and lot's of paper towels, the fluid looks much cleaner (though not prefectly red, I can see the bottom of the refill container now).

One note, my wife came into the garage in the middle of the process and exclaimed "What's that smell? Its awful." More proof that the fluid was obviously less than ideal.

After 20 mile drive to work this morning the "click/clunk" noise problem has not occur again. I'll report back again in about a week or so with an update.

Spread the word - the "lifetime" power steering fluid claim is probably bogus and will cause more problems in the long run.

Last edited by vanzalone; 10-25-2007 at 09:40 AM. Reason: adding comment
Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #97
vanzalone

Smile One week later...

Quote:
After 20 mile drive to work this morning the "click/clunk" noise problem has not occur again. I'll report back again in about a week or so with an update.

Spread the word - the "lifetime" power steering fluid claim is probably bogus and will cause more problems in the long run.
Well, the problem is 95% better but I can still occasionally feel a slight clunk-like sensation in the wheel.

Its possible that I am simply hyper-sensitive now looking for the noise.
Overall I'm much happier now that I changed the fluid.

Its was obvious that dirty burnt fluid was definitely the problem and
probably still have some dirt down deep in the PS system.
A true flush may be the only way to get it all.

Thanks to all for the help.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #98
jpr

Well that's good news - I also suspect you are correct about the likelihood of some residual amount of contamination in the system.

The other possibility, besides merely being hyper-sensitive, is that you had more than one issue, with the oil condition only making up 95% of the problem. Not to make you paranoid though...

Old 11-03-2007, 07:32 AM   #99
vanzalone

Smile oh great...

Quote:
The other possibility, besides merely being hyper-sensitive, is that you had more than one issue, with the oil condition only making up 95% of the problem. Not to make you paranoid though...
Oh sure thanks a lot - feed my hyper sensitive paranoia and insecurities why don't you!!! :-)
Old 01-09-2008, 06:06 AM   #100
kahlon

My Ride: 2001 330ci sport
Does anyone here have a European spec 330ci/330i that has or has had the steering play problem?

The reason I ask is that the part is slightly different on my mine:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=32&fg=30

Part #2 is not fitted to my car, instead I have part #4.

Does anyone know if part #4 incorporates the rubber bushing that goes bad? Or whether replacing part #4 will fix the steering play issue?
kahlon is offline   Reply With Quote