E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: Z4 Electric Fan Conversion for E46

40K views 67 replies 16 participants last post by  VpointVick 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm making this DIY for installing the factory E85 Z4 electric fan in the E46. The Z4 uses the same radiator as the non-M E46 so the mounting points are the same. The Z4 fan fits with slight modifications. You can install the Z4 fan to replace both the mechanical and auxiliary fans in the automatic E46 or to replace the regular electric fan in the manual E46. The Z4 fan may not fit in the M3 due to the thicker radiator.

Why install the Z4 fan? There isn't an E46 electric fan that has the proper cooling capability for the automatic E46. While future BMW automatic models received an electric fan, the E46 didn't receive the update. The E85 Z4 is close enough to the E46 that its fan may be used in the E46. The design of the Z4 electric fan for manual models is also an improvement over the original E46 electric fan.

Additional information: The wiring for the fan on the E46 is the same size as on the Z4, which is 6 mm2. The only differences are that the connector is different and the fuse is 60A rather than 50A.

Fan for automatic and M cars (600W): 17427542912
Fan for manual non-M cars (400W): 17427519704
-Screw (D6X40): 17117536972
-Plastic rivet: 17111712963

Electrical connector:
-Socket housing: 61136900536
-Large pins (need 2): 12521436650
-Small pin (need 1): 12521427612
-Wire seal for large pins (need 2): 12527505634
-Wire seal for small pins (need 1): 12521748973

60A fuse: 61136914636

Temperature sensor for lower radiator hose: 13621433077
-O-ring (recommended to order this genuine one if using aftermarket or OEM sensor): 13621743299

Basic steps outlined below. Detailed instructions for each step can be found in BMW's TIS (Technical Information System).

1) Disconnect battery

2) Remove old radiator fan and shroud

3) Replace temperature sensor in the lower radiator hose

4) Automatic cars: Remove auxiliary fan
-Remove air duct in front of auxiliary fan
-Remove 4 nuts securing auxiliary fan
-Unclip from top and pull forward
-Clip connector off if you can't work it through from the other side of the radiator
-Pull auxiliary fan out of vehicle

5) For 600W fan: Use dremel-type tool or saw to remove lower right arm on frame of cooling fan that will reside where the A/C compressor is located

6) Install new fan connector:
-Cut old fan connector off car (or use the pigtail from the auxiliary fan to make an adapter)
-Strip end of wire insulation off wires
-Slip wire seal over end of wire leaving bare wires exposed
-Crimp new pins onto the wire and gently onto the wire seals
-Insert brown wire pin into position 1
-Insert red/blue wire pin into position 2
-Insert small black/green wire pin into position 4

7) Install Z4 fan:
-Disconnect connector for camshaft sensor on front of engine to make more room
-Slide Z4 fan into position onto radiator
-Fasten top of fan with the screw and plastic rivet
-Reconnect connector for camshaft sensor

8) Replace fuse 37 (50A) in the glove box fuse panel with the 60A fuse

9) Optional: Extend wires for AUC (automatic recirculation) sensor to reach the mounting location on the Z4 fan. An extension adapter can be made using the following parts:
-Female socket housing (comes as wired adapter for xenon headlight vertical aim control): 61138373573
-Male socket housing (connects to AUC sensor): 61138365356
-Pins (0,2-0,5 MM²) (need 4): 61130056961

600W Z4 fan:

E46 fan shroud for mechanical fan compared with Z4 fan:

600W Z4 fan modified for E46:

New pins crimped onto wires for new connector:

New 60A fuse installed:

Z4 fan installed in E46:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
BMW installs more powerful 600W cooling fans in automatic and M models (even up to 850W for some M models), but they didn***8217;t make one available when the E46 was designed so they kept the mechanical fan with aux fan combo. Some people install the smaller 390W fan for manual cars, which may not be adequate for all conditions, so some people still keep the aux fan. The Z4 fan, which is adequately designed for the more demanding cooling needs of an automatic car, solves that dilemma. The Z4 fans are also higher quality and more reliable than the E46 version so the manual Z4 fan is also a nice alternative for those who need to replace their E46 fan.

#11 · (Edited)
X3 E83 X3 3.0i Fan housing, mounting parts > 17113400022

it looks like the E83 X3 automatic came with an electric fan as well. i am hoping this one is cheaper than the Z4 fan. i've got the steptronic auto transmission so i want to do the swap with a 600W electric fan instead of a lower power fan designed for the manual transmission.

*EDIT: current part number for X3 is 17113442089 which superceded 17113415181 and 17113400022. fcpeuro has this 600W for $693 .. so no, not cheaper. but maybe the 400W for $613?!! what are these fans made of, platinum?

#12 · (Edited)
so i am going with the 04-06 version of the X3 600W fan (17113415181). because it's not too difficult to find these used for about $200. but i am wondering why it was superceded by 17113442089.

if i get this working i will post a separate DIY for the X3 fan, with reference back to this one for the inspiration. *EDIT: X3 fan is virtually identical to the Z4 fan, so the procedure is the same, although i would make an adapter (below) instead of cutting off the plugs.

#14 ·
looking for a lightly used one of these 600w cooling fans .. 17113415181/17113442089 from the X3 or 17427542912/17427514104 from the Z4
found this one on ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-M...2006-BMW-X3-17113415181-E83-OEM-/372627568462). benzeen offers a one year warranty which is nice.
any new update
sorry, still waiting on delivery. the 600W fan from the E83 X3 'hot climate' package was offered in 2005, same as the Z4 2005, so i don't see why this wouldn't work with a /non M/ (smaller radiator) E46.

#16 ·
-Cut old fan connector off car (or use the pigtail from the auxiliary fan to make an adapter)

The fan is controlled by the computer (DME). The plug that goes into it has 3 wires (this is the plug on the left side when standing in front of the car facing the fan, the device mounted to the top of the fan is an air particle sensor and has no bearing on the cooling system). The two large wires are for power and ground, they are always live even when the car is off. They are hooked to the 50 AMP fuse in the glove box #36. The third wire is to control the fan speed and comes directly from the DME, there is no other fuse or relay in between. This wire carries a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) signal.

The wires from this connector run to a box on the engine side of the fan (which the manual calls an "output final stage") and two wires go from there to the fan motor.
i couldn't find the wiring diagram, but i am pretty sure the brown wire (position 1) is ground, the red/blue wire (position 2) is 12V, and the small black/green wire (position 4) is the DME PWM signal.

how to test the new fan by itself to make sure it works before cutting off the old fan connector?

#17 · (Edited)
newtis.info
Home / BMW E83 X3 3.0i SAV / Wiring Diagrams and Functional Description / Power train / Engine electronics / Engine cooling / Electric fan

some great info in that bmw-north fan guide. top of page 32 confirms the wiring color. *EDIT : also found the newtis wiring diagram and successfully tested the E83 X3 fan by directly connecting pins 1 and 2 to ground and 12V and connecting the PWM wire while the AC is running. confirms the fan is ready to be installed.

#18 · (Edited)
newTIS.info
Home / BMW E46 330xi Sedan / Wiring Diagrams and Functional Description / Power train / , engine controlMS43 / Engine cooling / Electric fan
> Wiring Diagram (SSP) Coolant temperature/electric fan (Applies to: 2003/03+)
[circuit diagram legend e.g. SW/GN means black/green]

as far as the adapter, rather than cutting off the old aux fan connector/pigtail, i am going to try inserting another pin terminal 61138380385 in between the universal socket 61138380380 and the new connector 61136900536 for the Z4/X3 fan.. that should let me reconnect the aux fan in the unlikely event the new Z4/X3 fan fails and i need to reinstall the old fans.

#19 ·
the fan does not immediately turn ON with an AC request ...

Chapter 4 - Testing the Fan & Module using INPA
Screen 1 - Select E46
Screen 2 - Select F6 - Activate (to get to the testing section)
Screen 3 - Select F3 System Test DK
Screen 4 - Select F3 E-Blower
Screen 5 - Graphical Representation
Observe fan speed changes. Allow 30 secs per speed ratio request to accommodate the hysteresis function.
better way to test the fan operation, thanks.

#20 ·
did you have coolant temp datalog when running with this configuration and any issue so far seem low clearance between the engine and the fans

I'm making this DIY for installing the factory E85 Z4 electric fan in the E46. The Z4 uses the same radiator as the non-M E46 so the mounting points are the same. The Z4 fan fits with slight modifications. You can install the Z4 fan to replace both the mechanical and auxiliary fans in the automatic E46 or to replace the regular electric fan in the manual E46. The Z4 fan may not fit in the M3 due to the thicker radiator.

Why install the Z4 fan? There isn't an E46 electric fan that has the proper cooling capability for the automatic E46. While future BMW automatic models received an electric fan, the E46 didn't receive the update. The E85 Z4 is close enough to the E46 that its fan may be used in the E46. The design of the Z4 electric fan for manual models is also an improvement over the original E46 electric fan.

Additional information: The wiring for the fan on the E46 is the same size as on the Z4, which is 6 mm2. The only differences are that the connector is different and the fuse is 60A rather than 50A.

Fan for automatic and M cars (600W): 17427542912
Fan for manual (non-M) cars (400W): 17427519704
-Screw (D6X40): 17117536972
-Plastic rivet: 17111712963

Electrical connector:
-Socket housing: 61136900536
-Large pins (need 2): 12521436650
-Small pin (need 1): 12521427612
-Wire seal for large pins (need 2): 12527505634
-Wire seal for small pins (need 1): 12521748973

60A fuse: 61136914636

Temperature sensor for lower radiator hose: 13621433077
-O-ring (recommended to order this genuine one if using aftermarket or OEM sensor): 13621743299

Basic steps outlined below. Detailed instructions for each step can be found in BMW's TIS (Technical Information System).

1) Disconnect battery

2) Remove old radiator fan and shroud

3) Replace temperature sensor in the lower radiator hose

4) Automatic cars: Remove auxiliary fan
-Remove air duct in front of auxiliary fan
-Remove 4 nuts securing auxiliary fan
-Unclip from top and pull forward
-Clip connector off if you can't work it through from the other side of the radiator
-Pull auxiliary fan out of vehicle

5) For 600W fan: Use dremel-type tool or saw to remove lower right arm on frame of cooling fan that will reside where the A/C compressor is located

7) Install Z4 fan:
-Disconnect connector for camshaft sensor on front of engine to make more room
-Slide Z4 fan into position onto radiator
-Fasten top of fan with the screw and plastic rivet
-Reconnect connector for camshaft sensor

8) Replace fuse 37 (50A) in the glove box fuse panel with the 60A fuse

9) Optional: Extend wires for AUC (automatic recirculation) sensor to reach the mounting location on the Z4 fan. An extension adapter can be made using the following parts:
-Female socket housing (comes as wired adapter for xenon headlight vertical aim control): 61138373573

600W Z4 fan:

E46 fan shroud for mechanical fan compared with Z4 fan:

600W Z4 fan modified for E46:

New 60A fuse installed:

Z4 fan installed in E46:

#21 · (Edited)
did you have coolant temp datalog when running with this configuration and any issue so far seem low clearance between the engine and the fans
these 600W fans were installed on stock Z4 and X3 with 'hot climate' package back in 2005. so they should fit the regular (non M3) E46 just fine, as long as you [1] convert the three pin connector and [2] remove that lower right arm so that it clears the AC compressor.

#31 · (Edited)
the fan does not immediately turn ON with an AC request ...

Chapter 4 - Testing the Fan & Module using INPA
Screen 1 - Select E46
Screen 2 - Select F6 - Activate (to get to the testing section)
Screen 3 - Select F3 System Test DK
Screen 4 - Select F3 E-Blower
Screen 5 - Graphical Representation
Observe fan speed changes. Allow 30 secs per speed ratio request to accommodate the hysteresis function.
i am testing my homemade adapter for the X3 fan. see the pics below. running the above steps from INPA, and it triggers the fan just fine at the different speeds (10%, 20%, etc). the multimeter says the fan is drawing about 4A at 10%.

but after 30 seconds the fan cuts off. is that normal behavior for INPA and/or the DME when the key is in position 2 and the engine is off?

#34 · (Edited)
Z4 fan installed in E46:
just done mind see pic below show what the mount point is differnce in height instead of bolt on you need to drill new hold to mount it but it work fine to me
where to re-mount this AUC (air recirculation sensor) 64116917001 ? from the above pictures it seems that andy325is extended the wires to mount the AUC on the driver side, whereas itongx mounted on the passenger side.

So today I cleaned my AUC sensor, if you are not certain what this part is, it controls the automatic re-circulation function of your HVAC, you know, that little A with a circle. When the system detects pollutants or bad quality air, the vents close up so it doesnt enter the cabin.
and i guess i should clean this AUC before re-mounting.

#38 ·
#39 ·
I paid about $600 for a new one a while back and $225 for a used one. There are photos of both in the first post. I can understand the price may cause some people to not be interested in this fan upgrade, but it's well worth it in my opinion. It's a very small expense compared to the cost of proper BMW maintenence.

#40 · (Edited)
yes better to go with the Z4 fan. X3 fan fits perfectly in the bottom but too tall at the top. i fixed with zip ties for the time being, but i'll need to come up with a solution for the air intake.

the 600w fan is very powerful. it will make a difference to the cooling system for sure. and maybe some engine performance by losing the parasitic drag of the clutch fan. i'll need to take off the bumper and remove the aux fan at some point also.

#41 ·
question

So you are using a X3 fan that is a 600w in your application, but the only issue is the clearance in the top?

yes better to go with the Z4 fan. X3 fan fits perfectly in the bottom but too tall at the top. i fixed with zip ties for the time being, but i'll need to come up with a solution for the air intake.

the 600w fan is very powerful. it will make a difference to the cooling system for sure. and maybe some engine performance by losing the parasitic drag of the clutch fan. i'll need to take off the bumper and remove the aux fan at some point also.

#45 ·

actually it was pretty easy to fix the air scoop.. i just drilled out the plastic rivets and removed the inner piece of the scoop.

still planning to run the dinan high flow intake from the bottom of the airbox to the brake duct. not sure if that can entirely replace the air scoop or not.

#51 ·
The two large wires provide unswitched 12V and ground, the small wire is the PWM signal from DME to select fan speed.
That Z3 fan simply draws more current (through the two large wires).

Reactions: fanatichuman
#52 · (Edited)
Wanted to update you on a little project. Planning on swapping a 600W fan from a 2010 528i (e60) into my 330xi.
Found a very good deal on the 600w fan. It seems to be exactly like the 2006-2008 z4 fan, except for the shroud.
See pic:
Automotive tire Electric fan Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Hood

Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Tire

Wood Font Hardwood Wood stain Electric blue

If it passes the fan activation test in INPA, I will swap motor and blades into a new z4 shroud (~133$ shipped from BMW Portland). Would run the whole thing to a cost of 218$, and I would have some nice leftover parts to give away in the pay forward parts thread. I'll let you know how it goes.

edit: I was ofc inspired by this awesome thread to do this, but also by this post
that shows you can swap the e83 600w fan into a 2008 550i M-Sport (e60/61, similar to the fan I bought), and we know the e83 fan motor works just fine in the e46 too.

-fana

#53 ·
Success part 1. The Inpa fan test was a success. So, the 2010 fan understands the DME just fine. Further, the pigtail that came with the 2010 fan is exactly the same as on the z4. The only thing that doesn't match is the shroud, as the 2010 doesn't have the cutout on the expansion tank side. Ordering a z4 shroud now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.