E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Corona Time

19K views 255 replies 52 participants last post by  MrMCar 
#1 ·
Anyone tackling a new project because they are trapped at home? It is a crap situation, and my business is suffering, but the silver lining is I have no commute, which gives me 1.5 more hours per day, and since I can't leave, the projects are getting done:

1. Total intake refresh on friend's convertible (198k miles)
2. Finishing interior swap on touring, including re-wrapping the steering wheel
3. Tranny flush and underbody clean
4. Figure out why my vert doesn't start!

Anyone else getting motivated to do bigger projects?

#47 · (Edited)
I hope to organize my many sets of xenon headlights, and start in on my Quad Bi-Xenon project. Fire up the CNC and make some aluminum mounts and adapters etc.. Should be a fun project.

Since we run a farm that has retail sales to the local area, I'm still quite busy. Which we are grateful for, just wish it was under different circumstances.

#54 ·
Once, when I bought a new engine, I had to separate the front end, and I pulled out my ball joint separator. The guys ran a small shop and had always used the pickle fork. They were so happy at how easy it was that I left them the tool as a gift (they gave me some tie-downs for the truck bed!)

#56 ·
Control Arms on my 330 are a PITA. Original to the car with 15 years (i.e. Winters) and 210K+ miles on them. Passenger side, center ball joint (the one through the subframe) nut did not want to come loose.

After some experimentation, ultimately used an extended 21mm wrench, rubber hammer and more patience than I was expecting to burn but finally got it off. :censor:

Driver side I'm more optimistic about. Removed the entire intake track to the TB and can access the nut from the top so the impact gun can take care of it.

#57 ·
Passenger side, center ball joint (the one through the subframe) nut did not want to come loose.

After some experimentation, ultimately used an extended 21mm wrench, rubber hammer and more patience than I was expecting to burn but finally got it off. :censor:
Nice job. I haven't yet done my control arms, and I'm still unsure of how I'm supposed to torque that nut to spec given that there's absolutely no way to get a socket on it.

#59 ·
A bunch of retrofits (323i). Salvage yards remain open and continue to add cars to pull from.

1. HK amp/speakers/sub with working spatial button.
The spatial button works but doesn’t light up; its missing
resistors for the led to function in the center switch.

2. Interior trunk release button.

3. Sport steering wheel swap.

4. M56 valve cover conversion.

5. M50 manifold conversion.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

#61 · (Edited)
I am just lockdown quarantine in my home. No problem for introvert.
As long i have food and working internet + purring cats. No problemo.
I am not sure if i can go outside, i live in Finland and all we have here is lakes and forests. Luckily Finns are in self quarantine by design :D

Stay home and stay healthy.
Corona numbers are horrible there in States :(

#64 ·
The inner ball joint needs a pickle fork to separate from subframe. A 4 lb hammer will be twice as easy as a 2 lb hammer, you wont need to hit as hard in comparison with heavier hammer. Safer that way. Not sure a pry bar is a big enough wedge over a large enough area to work as easily as pickle fork. Autozone/O'REILLY will lend you a pickle fork.

Also, it's all doable on jack stands if the base self serve shop doesn't open anytime soon.

#69 ·
I'm about to do the control arms myself and reading all of these comments has me concerned, but I'm running a 325xi. Overboard, it looks like you have a 325i. I'm looking at the blueprints on realoem for both and it seems like mine is going to be a lot easier, which is a change for once. Everything is a PITA with an xi usually.

Good luck to all! (And me)

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

#71 ·
I'm about to do the control arms myself and reading all of these comments has me concerned, but I'm running a 325xi. Overboard, it looks like you have a 325i. I'm looking at the blueprints on realoem for both and it seems like mine is going to be a lot easier, which is a change for once. Everything is a PITA with an xi usually.

Good luck to all! (And me)

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk
Overboard=auto-corrected Overboost?

This post has been deleted
#77 · (Edited)
QuickJack is a game changer. I bought the BL7000-EXT to handle my X5 and E46. Best $1300 ever spent for my garage. Up in the air and all 4 wheels off in less than 2 minutes. BL-5000SLX for the E46 only is about $1100 :thumbsup:

This post has been deleted
#88 · (Edited)
Finished the E46 today. It didn't need a lot, it was only driven 5,000 miles since the last cleaning. She has 208,000 miles on her now but still looks new. :thumbup:

Attachments

#90 ·
I prefer not doing any pressure washing as I feel the pressure can push water into connectors that might lead to terminal and pin corrosion. I simply rinse mine after the Scrubbing Bubbles works its magic with a normal garden hose at slight spray pressure. I wouldn't drown the alternator but no, I don't cover anything, I just avoid the Xenon ballasts and headlight covers.

#92 ·
Someday, I would love to take one of those pressure washers and really clean the bottom of my car up on a lift for complete access. The front end and rear end are pretty clean from my suspension maintenance but the middle section of the car has never been touched in 18 years.

#95 · (Edited)
My longest-running project is actually going to get done!

When my car was stolen last year they stripped a bunch of parts and they keyed the hood, fenders, and doors. Today I replaced the fenders and doors, and pulled the hood to get it painted. Now all I have to do is the windshield and it is back!

Attachments

#96 ·
I still have to commute for work but I did squeeze in some time to put my summer wheels back on. I had TPMS sensors installed and balanced a few weeks ago... the car drives sooooo smooth. Next week I'm going back to my studio to get some final items before being away from home for two months. I will get my handheld foam sprayer so I can wash the car since it's getting filthy.

#100 ·
coilovers on but still making adjustments
control arms just waiting for the right time (I don't really have corona time, been busy at work,. they think i'm essential)
alignment after getting new tires
while waiting...thinking about strut brace.
im about to order right now, ill hear your advice. but Solidjake can override you who once said...everybody has to have strut brace (not exact quote)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.