Hk sub wiring - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
jarjar

My Ride: 04 BMW 330CI
Hk sub wiring

Could someone explain where the signal for the hk 6x9 subs comes from.

I've looked at wiring diagrams and there is no "dedicated sub" line. I'm assuming the rear headunit line of the oem harness drives it.

Does the speaker output come from the rear speakers too?
jarjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
baders

My Ride: BMW 635 CSI S38B36
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15289065

Search is your friend
Old 02-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
jarjar

I definitely used that wiring diagram to wore my current set up. Are th hk subs considered part of rear woofers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baders View Post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 11:49 PM   #4
jarjar

Actually it makes sense I looked only at the coloured diagram which dosmt display the subs
Old 03-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
jarjar

If I connect an aftermarket amp to the subs, should connect the new wires from amp before or after the hk amp?

also it appears there is only a positive and negative wire for the subs, but there are 2 subs. I'm assuming both outputs come from the hk amp, is this correct?

Last edited by jarjar; 03-07-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
hlmiii

My Ride: M3's, M5, Z8, etc.
"If I connect an aftermarket amp to the subs, should connect the new wires from amp before or after the hk amp?"
Connect your aftermarket sub amplifier to the sub line signal wires after they leave main HK amp connector, before they connect to HK sub amplifier.

" Also it appears there is only a positive and negative wire for the subs, but there are 2 subs. I'm assuming both outputs come from the hk amp, is this correct?"
Yes. The one subwoofer amplifier powers both sub speakers.
hlmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
jarjar

Thank you so much for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
"If I connect an aftermarket amp to the subs, should connect the new wires from amp before or after the hk amp?"
Connect your aftermarket sub amplifier to the sub line signal wires after they leave main HK amp connector, before they connect to HK sub amplifier.

" Also it appears there is only a positive and negative wire for the subs, but there are 2 subs. I'm assuming both outputs come from the hk amp, is this correct?"
Old 04-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #8
jarjar

Just a quick question, i found this thread https://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=568846

and the one wiring diagram with the numbers shows there is a positive and negative on the input to the sub amp. Are these the wires that i tap. If i tap before the sub amp, i'm assuming that the signal from the amplifier will be divided into two signals for each wire (could you please confirm)?

So essentially i need only one channel on my amplifier to drive both subs because the hk sub amplifier which will receive the signal from my aftermarker amplifier will split the signal into 2 thus driving the hk subs (does this sound right)?

Also if i do this, i will not have to touch the 2 green and 2 grey wires going to each hk sub?

Thanks

Quote:

Old 04-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
jarjar

Just tried tapping the hk sub amp with no luck. Any thought?
Old 04-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #10
hlmiii

My Ride: M3's, M5, Z8, etc.
Did you tap from the signal input wires going from the main amp harness into the sub amp connector?
Or did you tap from the sub amp wires going to the speakers?

If the former then something is wrong upstream from the subwoofer. Has there been any work done to the OEM audio setup? Headunit, wiring, HK amp?

If the latter then there are the above issues plus the issue of the HK sub amp's operation plus level/impedance issues.

(The above assumes your new taps are correctly done.)
hlmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #11
jarjar

I tapped the signal input wire going into the hk sub amp coming from the stock harness.

I actually removed the stock hk amp and replaced it with and aftermarket amp. For this installation I tapped the front and rear head unit signal wires from the stock harness so that it would provide 4 channels. Then I hooked up the speakers by again tapping the stock harness speaker wires.

When I tried to hook up the sub. I tapped the +/- wires going into the hk sub amp in the thread that I linked and connected it to channel 3 (rear head unit input signal).

When I did this I couldn't hear any sound from the sub.

Hope my description is clear. Thank you so much for the help.

Quote:
Did you tap from the signal input wires going from the main amp harness into the sub amp connector?
Or did you tap from the sub amp wires going to the speakers?

If the former then something is wrong upstream from the subwoofer. Has there been any work done to the OEM audio setup? Headunit, wiring, HK amp?

If the latter then there are the above issues plus the issue of the HK sub amp's operation plus level/impedance issues.

(The above assumes your new taps are correctly done.)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #12
jarjar

I think I might know what the problem is. I did not attach a 12v power line, a ground, nor a remote wire, lol. For some reason i thought the speaker wire would just send power to the amp lol (it was cold outside). I will be doing that soon.

For the 12V, can i tap the stock harness. I've heard people getting power from the battery, but i'm not sure what type of wire to use for this installation.