M52TU Iron block with M54 Everything else - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #21
zx5rider

My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
Same here.

Right now I have the Technique Tuning stage 2 kit with a slightly bigger turbo, ZHP cams, and 1.5 PSI more boost so we shall see.

In theory I think I should have at least 430whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Cole View Post
I'm interested in this as well.
My goal is 500 wheel on pump gas, so the m54 might be a tougher route to go. So I suppose dropping a built s52 in my e46 wouldn't be too ridiculous, but tuning would be a different story.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr

Last edited by zx5rider; 03-13-2014 at 11:22 PM.
zx5rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:42 PM   #22
330Cole

My Ride: 01' 330Ci
How's it feel thus far? Butt-dyno wise

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • KW V1
  • Meyle HD Diff & Subframe Bushings
  • Meyle RTAB & TMS RTAB Limiter kit
  • Lemforder ZHP HD Control Arms
  • Meyle HD FCAB
  • TMS Subframe Reinforcement kit
  • TMS Swaybars F/R & Adjustable Endlinks
  • 3.38 Open Diff
  • BMW Performance SSK
  • BB Gen 3 Headers
  • Eisenmann Race Exhaust
  • 3.5" Longtube CAI
  • 3.5" Conforti Eurosport Filter
  • Shark Injector
  • Stoptech Slotted Rotors
  • TMS SS Brakelines
  • ST Sport Pads
330Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #23
zx5rider

My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
Ill let you know in a month

'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #24
summerlinbrayden

My Ride: 318ti
I know I'm bringing up an old thread, but I am wondering if anyone has every put an m54 head on m50/2 iron block. I understand the issue is a big coolant port on the m54 head that doesn't exist on the earlier model iron blocks; correct me if there are other reasons. If the one port is the issue and it's an addition to the m50 head's cooling capacity, then why couldn't we run it with the assumption that the head would simply have less cooling, equal to that of an m50 head? I honestly don't want anyone saying it won't work unless you have tried it and found that oil and water mixed, or it wouldn't cool right, or etc.. I don't have a way to properly test this on a project car or engine Dyno.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
summerlinbrayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #25
Sykriss

My Ride: 325XiT, 328i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlinbrayden View Post
I know I'm bringing up an old thread, but I am wondering if anyone has every put an m54 head on m50/2 iron block. I understand the issue is a big coolant port on the m54 head that doesn't exist on the earlier model iron blocks; correct me if there are other reasons. If the one port is the issue and it's an addition to the m50 head's cooling capacity, then why couldn't we run it with the assumption that the head would simply have less cooling, equal to that of an m50 head? I honestly don't want anyone saying it won't work unless you have tried it and found that oil and water mixed, or it wouldn't cool right, or etc.. I don't have a way to properly test this on a project car or engine Dyno.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I have been curious about this for quite some time now. I honestly think it would bolt up and function, however I'm pretty sure that that missing coolant channel would turn into a massive coolant leak from the head. It would need to be blocked off, or a plate made to return the coolant moving through it to the coolant system. However, if that port leads to its own 'closed circuit' of coolant, then it might just bolt up and work. I have also read a few posts saying that the coolant in an M52 circulates the opposite direction of an M54, but I don't see that as an obstacle worth stopping over. If I had the funds to get an M54 head and an M52 short block specifically for this experiment, I would. Maybe I will this spring when I level out a bit financially.
Sykriss is offline   Reply With Quote