330ci power loss between 60 and 80mph - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
mzKas

My Ride: -
330ci power loss between 60 and 80mph

Hey all,

So, 2 months ago, i swapped my manual 320cd for a auto 330ci which i love.

But I'm having a problem (one of many, but the most worrying, rest are bits and pieces, or it wouldn't be an e46):

So, just fyi, and this was already like this when i swapped, i have spacers on back (12mm) with 255/35/R18 tyres and on front (20mm) with 225/40/R18.

If i leave DSC on, even at 30mph the light starts kicking in and i feel car is slowing down, on a straight line...

If i partially turn it off (simple press) runs better, but between 60 and 80 it cuts power abruptly...
Be it on Drive, Sport mode or manual... an struggles to pass 80, like its choking...

Now if i completely turn it off (5 sec press) then it turns into an unleashed beast... no limit whatsoever... took it to 130 sooooo easily... no stutter, choke, nothing.

Any idea of what this might be? wheel sensors?

Thanks for your help in advance guys.
cheers and stay safe!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited by mzKas; 03-31-2020 at 05:13 PM.
mzKas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
venceslau

My Ride: 2002 325xi B/B
Year: 2002
Model: 325xi
Transmission: Manual
Maybe DSC, KOMBI and/or EGS module(s) needs to be re-coded to match the new engine.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

325xi 2002 B/B
venceslau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:15 PM   #3
mzKas

My Ride: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by venceslau View Post
Maybe DSC, KOMBI and/or EGS module(s) needs to be re-coded to match the new engine.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Hey, thanks for your reply.
I didn't swap engine, swapped car

Sent from my S10 using Tapatalk
mzKas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 05:37 PM   #4
TobyB

My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
Time to ask the car if it can tell you what is happening.

I start with PASoft, myself...

t
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
DSC has quite a few features to aid stability control, part of which is controlling throttle. Have a read through this document for the details.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...6&d=1302781986

Sounds like yours is misbehaving and cutting throttle when it should not. Some folks have had ABS kicking in when their tire diameters were too different.

As TobyB suggested, read the ABS module trouble codes using BMW Scanner 1.4 or INPA and post them here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote