Loose Fabric on Interior Pillar Parts - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #21
JochenWoern

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2003
Model: 330i
Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JochenWoern View Post
Just searched on YouTube and seen this video where the guy simply removes the fabric.

Is that the way to go? Will it look cheesy?

Has anyone done this with a tan interior and how does it look? Any pics?

Thanks Guys
So after reading everyone's reply, it appears that NO ONE simply removed the fabric as the dude in the video?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DAUGHTER's 2003 BMW 330i, 111k miles.
Sport & Premium Package, 2 Tone Black/Natural Brown Interior, Harmon Kardon, PDC, Navigation, Xenon Headlights.

2010 BMW R1200R (MINE)
2002 KTM 400 MXC (MINE)
2004 KTM 250 EXC (SON’s)
JochenWoern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #22
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
So after reading everyone's reply, it appears that NO ONE simply removed the fabric as the dude in the video?
Holy crap, that is brilliant! Gonna try that today on an already sagging pillar and see how it looks on my sand beige interior. Never liked that cloth anyway.

Edit: welp, the residual foam backing under the sand beige cloth is a very light yellowish color. Does NOT look good after fabric peeled off!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 04-15-2020 at 06:17 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #23
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
I pulled the fabric off my right side C-pillar when it started sagging. I actually popped off the plastic panel and peeled off the fabric rather than trying to peel it off in place.

I plan to remove the adhesive and foam residue and try to match it to the gray of the rest of the interior with some SEM interior paint.

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL

Last edited by Spannerhead; 03-26-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 09:33 PM   #24
ZHPizza

My Ride: 2005 ZHP Coupe
Quote:
Yeah I did that on all of my pillars. It releases cleaner if you lightly heat it (heat gun or even hair dryer will do). Looks fine to me.

ZHPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:42 PM   #25
Jagdtiger

My Ride: 05 330CI
My A pillars looked the same Bali. Just gnarly yellowed plastic.
Jagdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:00 PM   #26
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
You need to remove the pillars to get the fabric right, mostly because you are going to want to wrap it around the edges.

I have used this and it works well. I don't have 10 years on it, but certainly more than a month or so:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would not reuse fabric. I would buy new fabric that is a reasonable match from an online vendor that sells real auto headliner fabric. The actual headliner has foam, pillar fabric does not. The most important factor is stretchiness!!!

As for glue "showing through", this may be operator error, or just crap old fabric. The most important thing about gluing is that you have to spray both fabric and pillar, then wait until it is no longer wet. This is so critical. Then you adhere it. You get bleed-through when you saturate the fabric or pillar and connect them.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:00 PM   #27
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
All of that said, and even though I had the fabric, adhesive, and some experience, I still had a pro do it, because it sucks to do...
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:04 PM   #28
IdahoDoug

My Ride: Quattro 20V
That's amazing that Elmer's glue works here and holds in the heat. BTW, someone said it well. This is not a glue problem. There is a thin layer of foam between the fabric and the plastic pillar trim. That foam disintegrates into foam sand. So either you saturate the foam with enough glue that the foam becomes hard and part of the glue which attaches to the plastic trim, or you remove the foam and glue something directly to the plastic trim. The glue is not failing from BMW, it's the foam that glue was attached to that simply falls to tiny grains. Like trying to glue to a layer of flour over something...
Current fleet: 1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Toyota Supra 5M Targa (project), 1987 VW Vanagon, 1988 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V 5M, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 1997 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 2018 Subaru Outback, 2002 325Xi sedan bought w/ 61K.
IdahoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:07 PM   #29
325ciLover

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
All of that said, and even though I had the fabric, adhesive, and some experience, I still had a pro do it, because it sucks to do...
Amen.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
325ciLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:03 AM   #30
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

I will remove all six pillars on my facelift coupe and either paint or wrap them. Screw this cloth nonsense.

SEM interior paint color chart: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...source=sh/x/im
Going to search our forum to see if anyone found a color match to sand beige.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 03-29-2020 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #31
Spannerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
I think I will remove all three pillars on my facelift coupe and either paint or wrap them. Screw this cloth nonsense.
Totally agree. At some point, new pillars are going to be NLA, and upholsterers can't recover them satisfactorily, so IMO we need to figure out a paint solution if we're going to make these look acceptable long-term.

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Old 03-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #32
rizzo2008

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Just searched on YouTube and seen this video where the guy simply removes the fabric.

Is that the way to go? Will it look cheesy?

Has anyone done this with a tan interior and how does it look? Any pics?

Thanks Guys
Don't do this. The only way to fix the problem correctly is.

1. Find an automotive upholstery shop that can rewrap them (often expensive and difficult quality control). You aren't going to be able to glue the original fabric back correctly yourself.
2. Find replacement A, B, C pillars in the correct color for your car.
Usually you can get away with salvaged and used parts for many jobs but this is not one of them.

A and C pillars are not difficult to replace. B pillars can be kind of a pain in the ass but much easier on the sedan than the coupe in my opinion. Just remember to disconnect the battery for the A pillar replacement as there are armed airbags in there.

Last edited by rizzo2008; 03-27-2020 at 12:11 PM.
rizzo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #33
IdahoDoug

My Ride: Quattro 20V
One consideration on changing the pillars from fabric covered to hard plastic is the acoustics. You'll notice a bit more noise from these and they are up at ear level where that will maximize reflections. If your hearing is good enough to notice the difference in noise from your sunroof shade closed, to open where its now a sound reflector down on you, you'll notice the pillars. So if you can find a soft rubberized paint or stick with a fabric you'll preserve the remarkable quietness of these cars.
Current fleet: 1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Toyota Supra 5M Targa (project), 1987 VW Vanagon, 1988 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V 5M, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 1997 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 2018 Subaru Outback, 2002 325Xi sedan bought w/ 61K.
IdahoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #34
205_zhp

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i ZHP
Year: 2005
Model: 330i ZHP
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
You need to remove the pillars to get the fabric right, mostly because you are going to want to wrap it around the edges.

I have used this and it works well. I don't have 10 years on it, but certainly more than a month or so:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would not reuse fabric. I would buy new fabric that is a reasonable match from an online vendor that sells real auto headliner fabric. The actual headliner has foam, pillar fabric does not. The most important factor is stretchiness!!!

As for glue "showing through", this may be operator error, or just crap old fabric. The most important thing about gluing is that you have to spray both fabric and pillar, then wait until it is no longer wet. This is so critical. Then you adhere it. You get bleed-through when you saturate the fabric or pillar and connect them.

Have you ever tried foam backed fabric on the pillars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05 BMW • 330i • ZHP • DINAN3

Instagram @205_zhp
205_zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:31 AM   #35
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

Today I pulled off the fabric from the A, B, C pillar covers in my facelift coupe with sand beige interior. The pillar covers now have a light yellow-white cloth-ish surface. I’ll remove them and just paint with a matching SEM color. Attached nude photos of pillar covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E4B5165C-DA0D-4A96-9145-9BF12B554F49.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	796665   Click image for larger version

Name:	AB0125F4-A1D8-4D86-8301-CAB772A5F443.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	796667   Click image for larger version

Name:	E8F86104-B02E-4B9F-9104-30E3C558FCE6.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	796783  

Last edited by BaliDawg; 03-29-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:56 AM   #36
Spannerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Today I pulled off the fabric from the A, B, C pillar covers in my facelift coupe with sand beige interior. The pillar covers now have a light yellow-white cloth-ish surface. I’ll remove them and just paint with a matching SEM color. Attached nude photos of pillar covers.
Yes! Post pics of the result! Thanks for exploring this Bali.

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Old 03-29-2020, 05:29 AM   #37
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

I've removed all the pillar covers and peeled off the loose outer cloth leaving the foam still attached.
Now looking for the right SEM paint color to shoot them. This thread mentions Sandstone and Santa Fe.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=645344

Sandstone (SEM-15143) https://www.amazon.com/dp/4678615143/
Santa Fe (SEM-15123) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PH6LXJ4/

Ordered the Sandstone from Amazon, should be here in a week.
I'll post pics once I test spray something to check color match.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 03-31-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:40 AM   #38
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

A full set of new sand beige pillar covers from ECS Tuning is only $517.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...51168238963kt/
So....there's that.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #39
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
yeah, i gota do the two front myself this year

fkn expensive they are

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #40
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
If you guys think $517 is a lot for a set of pillar covers, just check out the price of the black set for sedans.

Still pissed I didn't buy one when the price was more reasonable.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote