Speedometer not working - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
Deesbimmer

My Ride: 2003 325i M56
Year: 2003
Model: 325i
Transmission: Steptronic
Speedometer not working

So im working on the 99 328i that i got the other day. It got its problems including a nice crack in the rear subframe sheet metal but im trying to fix the speedometer for now.

Check engine is on
ABS + Traction light are on
Its got a welded diff so i expect abs to be on

** I just changed both rear wheel speed sensors and im not sure what else to check out. Checked fuses they seemed okay it was missing a sunroof fuse but i figured out the sunroof gets stuck so thats probably why the fuse was removed.

My INPA codes.
P.s do i need a exhaust cam sensor too?

130 CAN Signal ASC -Timeout
133 CAN Signal ASC -Timeout
214 Vehicle Speed Signal (VSS)

104 VANOS Error -Exhaust Camshaft
31 Ignition Coil Cyl 5
1 Ignition coil Cyl 2
126 Activation Tank Leak Pump Solenoid
209 EWS -Message Error

Last edited by Deesbimmer; 01-08-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Deesbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
My guess is the Wheel Speed Sensor is keeping the ABS and traction control from working.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:29 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
Maybe check the plugs behind the cluster? Two little torx screws at the top come out...then the cluster does. PO might have been back there and not plugged them back in firmly...maybe?

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 06:54 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
The left rear wheel speed sensor supplies the speed data. Swap it with the right rear sensor.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #5
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 F10 RT
Swapping the two rear sensors is a good idea. From there all the wheel speed signals go into the ABS/DSC unit. The signal from the rear is then passed along unto the many things that utilize the speed signal.
Speedometer, radio (or increasing volume) and others.

Often the DSC unit can be bad and the signal does not leave the module for those things I mentioned above.

After a sensor swap if your problem persists check a couple of other things to divide and conquer.
Drive the car and see if the cruise control works. I know it sounds crazy but a cluster issue can have the cruise work and not the speedo.
Try to drive with the fan off. Does the radio increase proportional to road speed?

If the two above yield no fruit, if you can find another same model DSC unit it can be swapped out for a road test.

Now That I've said all of this, try two things first:
Perform a cluster reset with function #21.
Perform a battery reset for 10 min by connecting the two disconnected battery cables together.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:39 PM   #6
Deesbimmer

I have new aftermarket speed sensors in the rear. I found a front speed sensor in the trunk from the PO but i guess this does not help me. My cars driving alot stronger after swapping the spark plugs but still no speedometer. Cleared codes.

No speedometer no mpg no trip counter/mileage

I have not checked behind the cluster but before i do that is there any other spots i should check like a fuse or relay? Could the module be bad
Old 01-10-2020, 07:03 AM   #7
markusmarkus

Speedometer not working

Never ever install aftermarket sensors of any kind in a BMW. They are typically junk. Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the carís vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to brakes to find the part # for the sensor. Then go to FCPEuro to buy a new sensor made by the supplier to BMW. Itís usually the second most expensive part shown.

Last edited by markusmarkus; 01-10-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #8
Deesbimmer

Sorry for the delayed response i had to do a whole cooling system overhaul.

So...
I tested the genuine speed sensor from the right side on the left and it still didnt work. Il take my chances for now going aftermarket until i get more frustrated LOL.
I happened to find a brand new in bag front speed sensor and i found a second one randomly in the box of parts from this car. Is there any use to installing both new front sensors too?

The code INPA is giving me the ASC timeout codes makes me think the module is the issue. If the module is bad how difficult is it to replace it and is worth buying new or junkyard.

I will do the tach #21 test and battery test next
No the cruise control does not work but i will double check
I have a cheap JVC aftermarket radio would i see this increase in volume with speed too

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Never ever install aftermarket sensors of any kind in a BMW. They are typically junk. Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the carís vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to brakes to find the part # for the sensor. Then go to FCPEuro to buy a new sensor made by the supplier to BMW. Itís usually the second most expensive part shown.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Only bought 1 wheel speed sensor and that was for my e36, other than being a little short it's been working fine for years.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:18 AM   #10
markusmarkus

I think the wheel speed sensors for the rear are different than those for the front. Check www.realoem.com.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #11
Deesbimmer

I know they are different. Front ones have a longer probe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
I think the wheel speed sensors for the rear are different than those for the front. Check www.realoem.com.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:40 PM   #12
Deesbimmer

SO after doing the #21 test, and battery test i still have no speedo. I located the ASC unit and unplugged and plugged it back in.

I found one on ebay with the same model number. Will this work once i swap it out and will i have to recode it to my VIN?

Do i lose any more functions when i disconnect the module and what kind of socket do i use to get off the 4 bolts holding it into the pump.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #13
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesbimmer View Post
I have new aftermarket speed sensors in the rear. I found a front speed sensor in the trunk from the PO but i guess this does not help me. My cars driving alot stronger after swapping the spark plugs but still no speedometer. Cleared codes.

No speedometer no mpg no trip counter/mileage

I have not checked behind the cluster but before i do that is there any other spots i should check like a fuse or relay? Could the module be bad

DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER

Are your new speed sensors the same as the old ones? Doesn't matter unless the speedometer worked before you changed them. The left rear tire drives the speedometer. My neighbor jacked his car by the lower control arm and damaged his speed sensor wires, you should check for this.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #14
Deesbimmer

The speedometer did not work before i changed them. Theres two new rear speed sensors and there not damaged at all.

This is why im thinking is a faulty DSC/ABS module and not the sensors or cluster itself
Old 01-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #15
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesbimmer View Post
The speedometer did not work before i changed them. Theres two new rear speed sensors and there not damaged at all.

This is why im thinking is a faulty DSC/ABS module and not the sensors or cluster itself

You still have a huge unknown. The speed sensors need to be long enough to reach the tone ring, if you have the wrong ones for whatever reason and they are too short, then they will not see the tone ring, and you will not have any speed data. Of course, the ABS and DSC won't work either.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #16
jdstrickland

Check engine is on
ABS + Traction light are on
Its got a welded diff so i expect abs to be on

This is a non-sequitur. ABS and DSC are on because there's no speed data, and the welded diff, in and of itself, should not play a role in this. If the welded diff resulted in a change of the tone ring, then this is where your problem is.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #17
Deesbimmer

I replaced the speed sensors with the same style sensor that came out. Same style realoem and fcp tell me to use so i dont think its that.

Also the codes from INPA dont point to a specific sensor its saying no communication pretty much.