Serious question. What do i need to repair if i want to redline often. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
E46Coupemanualblk

Serious question. What do i need to repair if i want to redline often.

Hey guys ive had my e46 coupe manual for a while. But recently ive been broke until now. Been fixing basic things such as thermostat, coolant, etc. I know this question might sound stupid to some of you, but what should i replace if i want to redline often? I know some of you guys might think why would you wanna do that. Well im young just turned 20, i wanna enjoy my bmw. I love the sound. And just because i can as an American citizen lol. Money is not an issue. So obviously oil change first... What else? Thank you.
E46Coupemanualblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
A bunch of extra engines ready to go in.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
66intheSky
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2000
Model: 328i ZSP
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
Lol Yep, you're gonna need em if you rev it like that.
66intheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
E46Coupemanualblk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
like i said money is not an issue, lll replace every single part if i have to. But for starters what should i replace?
Old 11-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Coupemanualblk View Post
But for starters what should i replace?
Your BMW with a rotary Mazda. I suggest an RX-3 from 1971-1978.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

Last edited by All2kool; 11-30-2019 at 02:34 PM.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi MT, mustang gt
I always redline first and second gear its perfectly fine just dont abuse it. 195k miles and no issues from high revs.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #7
mega_stihl

My Ride: E46 & E32
I might be wrong about this, but iirc cars with hydraulic lifters like ours are no fans of really high revving. Therefore solid lifters are better.
mega_stihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:02 AM   #8
RangerDave

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 257k
Year: 2000
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5MT
I'm surprised to hear all you guys are afraid to redline your BMWs. These are some of the best engines ever made and are designed for high revs. I've had my 328i more than 12 years and in all honesty, I have brought it to redline almost every single day since I bought it. I don't do it when the car is having issues, and if your car hasn't been maintained well then redlining it certainly could cause problems. Personally, I've never had anything go wrong from doing it - and we're talking thousands of times. I only do it in 1st gear when I'm pissed off, but 2nd and 3rd are fun as hell. If I were you , the things I would be concerned about are pulleys, belts, tires, oil/fluids, and making sure no parts in your cooling system are past due for replacement. I'm 34 years old and my car has 257k miles on it, btw.

Last edited by RangerDave; 12-01-2019 at 01:05 AM.
RangerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:57 AM   #9

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
like i said money is not an issue, lll replace every single part if i have to. But for starters what should i replace?
They are saying that because the red line is there to tell you where NOT to go because damage to the engine is imminent. The red line threshold represents a point beyond which the knwn properties of the materials and components like metals, bearings and lubricants break down and cease to function in a predictable manner. Heat dissipation. I think what you are asking is what do you need to replace (rather than repair) to make failure less likely if you persistently push it into the failure zone. The short answer is NOTHING. A goodly supply of replacement engines is the the only real answer to be fair.
74123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #10
doukas007

My Ride: e46 320 coupe
Year: 2001
Model: 320ci
Transmission: manual
well , some Redline oil , oil pump upgrated integrated shaft and cog , someone is selling them on ebay , a solid lifter conversion and some forged conrods with arp fasteners .but these are only for the engine .probably your main pulley damper is already shot and also I would convert the flywheel to single mass .with all that you will be able to rev to about 7300 also
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:54 AM   #11
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
An occasional run up to redline when a properly maintained engine is at its operating temperature is fine. BMW engines, with the exception of the eta engine (I owned a 325e!), love to rev. I’m sure the BMW engineers design these engines to rev passed the redline without issues. The electronic rev limiter is there so that BMW doesn’t have replace engines left and right.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #12
Efthreeoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDave View Post
I'm surprised to hear all you guys are afraid to redline your BMWs. These are some of the best engines ever made and are designed for high revs. I've had my 328i more than 12 years and in all honesty, I have brought it to redline almost every single day since I bought it. I don't do it when the car is having issues, and if your car hasn't been maintained well then redlining it certainly could cause problems. Personally, I've never had anything go wrong from doing it - and we're talking thousands of times. I only do it in 1st gear when I'm pissed off, but 2nd and 3rd are fun as hell. If I were you , the things I would be concerned about are pulleys, belts, tires, oil/fluids, and making sure no parts in your cooling system are past due for replacement. I'm 34 years old and my car has 257k miles on it, btw.
Exactly. Every manufacturer sets the redline of their engines safely below the engine's mechanical limits. The fuel injection system will cut fuel above the engine's set redline limit.
Efthreeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #13
Effduration

My Ride: '05 330CiC
I never go near the redline while daily driving. However, I am on a 24hr of lemons race team and our non-BMW race car broke on a Friday of race weekend. We were able to rent a race-prepped E36 with a stock M52 engine for $1500 for 3 days. I was shocked at how well it handled the frequent red-line driving for 2 days. But 2 days is not much of a test case, but that car is still running great.

I would not do what you are proposing, but if I were going to, I would:

Have a spare engine (they're cheap an easy to find)

- keep every consumable fresh (oil, plugs, trans fluid, hoses, CCV, filters, coolant, brake pads)
- probably run high octane gas
- change the oil pump nut to the race version that can be secured in place
- run an oil analysis every oil change (every 3k miles?)
- visually check the engine bay weekly or more
- replace shifter bushings
Effduration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #14
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Honestly a lot depends on whether you have a 330 or 325. With the 330, oil pump shaft failure is a real concern with extended time at high RPM due to the different harmonics of the B30's additional stroke.

If you have a 325, wind it out as much as you want.

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #15
E46Coupemanualblk

I have a 323ci manual. Also plannin on puttin turbo on it. Project car.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #16
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
You can redline all you want and your car will be okay. Obviously don't drive around in 1st gear all day, but running through the gears is perfectly fine. I'd change your belt, pulleys, and water pump if planning on driving at high rpms a lot, but you don't need to.

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #17
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
since "money is not an issue" buy an M3 which is made to rev high.

no power reason to rev a stock 323Ci M52TUB25 engine over 5500 rpm because it stops making power at that point.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #18
smolck

My Ride: 2003 330ci (manual)
Quote:
Hey guys ive had my e46 coupe manual for a while. But recently ive been broke until now. Been fixing basic things such as thermostat, coolant, etc. I know this question might sound stupid to some of you, but what should i replace if i want to redline often? I know some of you guys might think why would you wanna do that. Well im young just turned 20, i wanna enjoy my bmw. I love the sound. And just because i can as an American citizen lol. Money is not an issue. So obviously oil change first... What else? Thank you.
Nothing. Just drive it. I am on my 4th E46 since 2007 and redlined ALL of them everytime i drove them. If you dont hold the engine above 6000rpm for a long time (like track use) you probably wont have the oil pump nut back off. Sure, it CAN happen, but it is rare in cars that dont see the track. Other than that, redline the heck out of it.

Check out my youtube page for the videos of my 204k mile ZHP after I put headers on it. M54 engines like to rev, you wont hurt it.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff

Last edited by smolck; 12-02-2019 at 09:50 PM.
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #19
Bird-Dog

My Ride: 2004 330Cic ZHP
Wait until you grow up and figure out the reasons you gave for wanting to were stupid.
Bird-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #20
Oomlot

My Ride: 99 540 sport
I guess some people aren't familiar the ever popular " money shift"!!!!
Oomlot is offline   Reply With Quote