Need to break into the trunk 2001 e46 convertible - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
Daniel RS

My Ride: 01 325 convertible
Need to break into the trunk 2001 e46 convertible

I accidentally locked my keys in the trunk. The trunk button doesn't work, the button in the cockpit doesn't work and the extra keys don't either. Replacing the rear trunk harness is the cause and is a project that I haven't gotten around to doing yet.

The only way that I can think might work is if I remove the plastic ski-box that is between the rear seat backs. I wish I knew the correct name of the thing. It's simply a box that is attached by 4 allen bolts that are only accessible after removal of the rear seat backs.

I see that I'll need an Allen key to remove it but will I need a wrench at the back?

Will this idea work at all?

Other options?

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by Daniel RS; 11-19-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Daniel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel RS View Post
Will this idea work at all?
I could be wrong but the only way to access the trunk from inside the vehicle is if you have the 'Ski Pass Through' option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
Daniel RS

There is a plastic box that is fastened to the back wall of the car in which, I think, the ski bag once was. I think that it did have the ski option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
All2kool

Quote:
There is a plastic box that is fastened to the back wall of the car in which, I think, the ski bag once was. I think that it did have the ski option.
If your vehicle has the Harman Kardon option, you may be thinking of the sub-woofer.

Previous:

Old 11-19-2019, 11:49 PM   #5
Bidno

My Ride: 2002 325i
If worse comes to worse somebody suggested previously the cheapest way in is to break the passenger side tail light, reach inside the trunk, and pull the emergency trunk release (i.e. green handle) on the passenger-side trunk wall. I haven't evaluated or tested, just passing on info. GL

Edit: And advice may have been applicable to sedans

Last edited by Bidno; 11-19-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Bidno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:10 AM   #6
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330 CiC, 330i
When you say the other keys don't work, are you saying if you stick the key in the lock on the trunk handle and turn it won't open?
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #7
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrichar View Post
When you say the other keys don't work, are you saying if you stick the key in the lock on the trunk handle and turn it won't open?
TheRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #8
Daniel RS

Here is what I have so far...
The extra keys that I have are valet keys. They do not even go into the trunk lock.
Due to a failed harness there is no response to the trunk button in the wheel well or the button which is on the trunk.

The car does NOT have the ski bag option.

What it does have is a plastic box that is bolted in with 4 Allen head screws which are accessible via the passenger compartment.

From what I can tell my only option (aside from breaking a taillight or having a key made) is to remove that box.

SOOOOOO...my question comes down to, will I need a wrench at the back of the 4 Allen screws? I'm trying to avoid getting in there to find out the hard way and I'm not in a real rush.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #9
BobC63

My Ride: 330ci convertible
Year: 2003
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 5 spd Auto
I'd say at this point that you have nothing to lose by trying to loosen / remove those allen head screws... worst that can happen is that the screw just spins because of a nut on the other side... but you won't know until you try.
BobC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #10
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
If your vehicle has the Harman Kardon option, you may be thinking of the sub-woofer.
FWIW - when I remove the rear seat center cushion and then 'open' the Harman Kardon Sub-Woofer from the trunk, it's a clear pass through to the cabin. And I also noted that there are no screws or nuts visible on the trunk side sub-woofer when open.

So I believe that once you have removed the screws, the sub-woofer will easily push into the trunk. My research of images for the Sub-Woofer seem to show that they all open, hence, if you have the HK Audio package, you have the 'Ski Pass Through' as well.

Previous:

Old 11-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #11
tcphoto

My Ride: E92 335 MT Coupe
If you can't pull the sub, you might as well call a Locksmith.

tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
If you can't pull the sub, you might as well call a Locksmith.
If the sub doesn't push into the trunk after removing the nuts/screws, I'd suggest giving it a smack of two from inside the vehicle. The mechanism that holds it closed isn't very robust and will likely open rather easily without any damage.

Previous:

Old 12-01-2019, 07:47 PM   #13
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Jump the trunk lock motor at the gm module. The pinout is online somewhere

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #14
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogthebountyhunter View Post
Why would that work when the trunk release in the car and on the keys doesn't?

Previous:

Old 12-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Quote:
Quote:
Why would that work when the trunk release in the car and on the keys doesn't?
It works.

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:45 PM   #16
All2kool

Quote:
...and the extra keys don't either...
I'll ask - does the trunk not openly manually when your INSERT THE SPARE KEY into the lock?

Previous:

Old 12-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #17
All2kool

Quote:
It works.
I asked WHY would it work. Please explain why that works. And please don't answer with 'because it just does'.

Previous:

Old 12-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #18
Sev1980

My Ride: 05 M3 02 330cic
because failed relays in gm5 may have been why your trunk button was unresponsive.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #19
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev1980 View Post
because failed relays in gm5 may have been why your trunk button was unresponsive.
Still not clear how a failed relay in the GM5 module will magically work if you jump pins.

Previous:

Old 12-02-2019, 10:42 PM   #20
Sev1980

My Ride: 05 M3 02 330cic
Quote:
Still not clear how a failed relay in the GM5 module will magically work if you jump pins.
you know what, good luck to you man. Hope you figure it out.