Do both tailpipes always emit exhaust? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
sparky2708

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Do both tailpipes always emit exhaust?

Do both tailpipes always emit exhaust? I noticed exhaust is blowing from only 1 of the tailpipes. Is this normal. Notice how one of the tailpipes (the one on the right) is so much cleaner than the other... When I start the car nothing is blowing out of the right pipe

2002 BMW 325XI
sparky2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Perfectly normal - the other side opens under hard acceleration.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #3

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky2708 View Post
Do both tailpipes always emit exhaust? I noticed exhaust is blowing from only 1 of the tailpipes. Is this normal. Notice how one of the tailpipes (the one on the right) is so much cleaner than the other... When I start the car nothing is blowing out of the right pipe

2002 BMW 325XI
Given that there is only one pipe entering the back box then I would say yes. You should expect exhaust fumes out of both of them.
74123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Given that there is only one pipe entering the back box then I would say yes. You should expect exhaust fumes out of both of them.
You would be incorrect.

The 'golf tee' mod opens both exhaust pipes full time. Google 'golf tee mod' for more info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

Last edited by All2kool; 11-19-2019 at 11:07 AM.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Does the OP 325 even have the exhaust flap?

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
You would be incorrect.

The 'golf tee' mod opens both exhaust pipes full time. Google 'golf tee mod' for more info.
The golf tee mod. Is that stock? Or is it a modification? I have a haynes manual. It shows a single pipe into the back box.

EDIT: But I have just checked realoem for my 2.2 an it shows two pipes. So you are right.

Last edited by RayPooley; 11-19-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
The golf tee mod. Is that stock? Or is it a modification?
The flap is operated closed by vacuum. By default, the flap is open. At WOT, no vacuum and the flap is open, as soon as the car returns to closed throttle, vacuum closes the flap. The golf tee mod simply plugs the vacuum hose to the flap and the flap remains open all the time.

No Fear

Old 11-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
The flap is operated closed by vacuum. By default, the flap is open. At WOT, no vacuum and the flap is open, as soon as the car returns to closed throttle, vacuum closes the flap. The golf tee mod simply plugs the vacuum hose to the flap and the flap remains open all the time.
So thats none stock?
Old 11-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
So thats none stock?
No BMW part number on a golf tee so no, not stock.

No Fear

Old 11-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #10
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Quote:
The golf tee mod. Is that stock? Or is it a modification?
Do you really think BMW engineers would actually put in a golf tee on every car?
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonRed View Post
Do you really think BMW engineers would actually put in a golf tee on every car?

I think it's pretty clear from my comments so far that I have no idea what a "golf tee" is in this context so why not? There are several parts on these cars that have casual names: the "front aggregate protection plate" is often called the "belly pan". The "snorkel" above the radiator. The engineers see fit to put one on every car. Right?

However, since being made aware of the term I have looked it up. I may be wrong but it seems the primary purpose of this mod is to make more noise. Well, not being an adolescent who likes riding round making unnecessarily loud noises and disturbing the peace the "golf tee mod" is not something I would ever have come into contact with were it not for this revelation here today.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
BobC63

My Ride: 330ci convertible
Year: 2003
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 5 spd Auto
Quote:
I think it's pretty clear from my comments so far that I have no idea what a "golf tee" is in this context so why not? There are several parts on these cars that have casual names: the "front aggregate protection plate" is often called the "belly pan". The "snorkel" above the radiator. The engineers see fit to put one on every car. Right?

However, since being made aware of the term I have looked it up. I may be wrong but it seems the primary purpose of this mod is to make more noise. Well, not being an adolescent who likes riding round making unnecessarily loud noises and disturbing the peace the "golf tee mod" is not something I would ever have come into contact with were it not for this revelation here today.
Aw, Ray, don't be so negative

I have done this mod. Super easy (yes you are literally closing off the vacuum line with a golf tee) and it takes 5 minutes to do. IMO it doesn't make the vehicle exhaust more 'noisy' at idle; it does add a little more tone to the exhaust under light to medium acceleration (under heavy acceleration the port flap would be opened anyway, so no difference there).

Personally, having a convertible - I enjoy hearing just a tad bit more of an exhaust that no longer sounds like a late 90's Honda Accord at anything less than full throttle... Just saying.
BobC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #13
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC63 View Post
Personally, having a convertible - I enjoy hearing just a tad bit more of an exhaust that no longer sounds like a late 90's Honda Accord at anything less than full throttle... Just saying.
ZHP muffler FTW!

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 11-19-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #14
mega_stihl

My Ride: E46 & E32
Quote:
The golf tee mod. Is that stock? Or is it a modification? I have a haynes manual. It shows a single pipe into the back box.
You just answered it yourself
mega_stihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega_stihl View Post
You just answered it yourself
The first question was rhetorical.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #16
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:

The M54B22 is the only six-cylinder E46 without the exhaust flap, so can't blame you for not knowing. Always liked that about my 320Ci.

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 118k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

|
|
| drive tastefully
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #17
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
The M54B22 is the only six-cylinder E46 without the exhaust flap, so can't blame you for not knowing. Always liked that about my 320Ci.
My 2002 325i M54B25 did not have the flap or hoses on the factory muffler. I replaced it with a ZHP muffler and they have no flap either.

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 11-19-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #18
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
My 2002 325i M54B25 did not have the flap or hoses on the factory muffler. I replaced it with a ZHP muffler and they have no flap either.
Ah really? Maybe I was a little gung ho in my comment.

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 118k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

|
|
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 11-19-2019 at 04:57 PM.
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #19
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
Ah really? Maybe I was a little gung ho in my comment.
I think it was a 330 thing. It may well be a USA destination thing too

I guess the engineers didn't think the 2.5 liter made enough sound to warrant the flap...

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 11-19-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #20
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Quote:
ZHP muffler FTW!
Is the ZHP muffler different?
Archbid is online now   Reply With Quote