Convertible roof cleaning - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Mjwuae

Convertible roof cleaning

Hey guys

New to the forum, first post so please don't scream at me if I'm wrong place

I have recently bought a 323Ci and the soft top has some brown stains on it

I was hoping someone else has had this and could advise best way to clean it if it's even possible

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1BB6E405-69B8-4923-8E3C-566844C97D09_1570373733858.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	785305  
Mjwuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
bremerd1

My Ride: 323
Year: 2000
Model: CI
Transmission: ZF 5HP19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjwuae View Post
Hey guys

New to the forum, first post so please don't scream at me if I'm wrong place

I have recently bought a 323Ci and the soft top has some brown stains on it

I was hoping someone else has had this and could advise best way to clean it if it's even possible

Thanks
The first time out (it's new to you), a commercial product may yield the best results at removing a brown stain. Afterwards, I typically use a horse-hair brush (like you'd polish shoes with), and Woolite (same stuff that goes in a washing machine). It may not all come out the first time 'round - It's a literal wash, rinse, dry, repeat.

Dan B
bremerd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
I've been using a soft bristle brush I got at Dollar Tree and laundry soap since purchase. After all, the top is fabric. I've scrubbed some spots repeatedly without a single fiber being damaged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
tedavis01

Once you have cleaned it throughly you could re dye it.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
tedavis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
tcphoto

My Ride: E92 335 MT Coupe
I would strongly suggest a soft brush and Ragg Top, it will clean and protect the top. Do not use a nylon brush or harsh cleaner because it will do more damage than good.

tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
Zyaltr

My Ride: 03-330cic,14-535 IX
Looks like someone power washed the roof...not a good idea.
Zyaltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyaltr View Post
Looks like someone power washed the roof...not a good idea.
Agree - and after the car sat under a tree leaching pollen for what looks to have been a few years.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:48 AM   #8
Mjwuae

Great guys thanks for your replies

Sorry for delay in responding it's taken me a while to figure out how to reply ***x1f602; probably still done it wrong

I've tried to turtle wax roof cleaner and I can see an improvement. I think I just need to apply a few more coats and also limit my expectation of how much it can recover to its former glory

You're quite right also the car had been sitting for a year barely done any miles in that period
Mjwuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:57 AM   #9
Jcs02325

Transmission: Auto
I just cleaned the roof of the 325ci I recently acquired. It had been sitting outside and the top was quite covered in pollen and other outdoor debris. The sides were speckled green with moss and mildew growth and the edges were completely green.

I used the 303 cleaning and conditioning set with a horsehair brush and the top looks great now. Jet black again.
Jcs02325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
poolview

My Ride: 330ci
just purchased some ragg top cleaner- worked great. my top pretty dirty and green in spots...all gone
but- i do have an outside hot water bibb- that too is great money spent
poolview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #11
andremajic

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2005
Model: 330 CI
Transmission: Automatic
If you use a mild soap that foams, a horsehair shoeshine brush to scrub, and a vacuum to suck up the soap and dirt, you will eventually pull out all the stains. It takes a lot of time but you don't need anything fancy soap wise. Don't ever pressure wash it unless it's a wide fan and you keep far enough back to prevent damaging the cloth. Previous owner of mine left permanent marks on my top by using a pressure washer.

I used LA awesome cleaner from the dollar tree and dish soap to help it foam. Since it rains all the time around here, I just do my cleaning before it rains. Distilled water rinse. After intensive cleaning you will have to re-treat the top to waterproof it again.

Andy
andremajic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:48 PM   #12
choularton

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedavis01 View Post
Once you have cleaned it throughly you could re dye it.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Have yet to find good info on this forum on recommended dye products. Any chance someone has experience with using any?

My original top is in remarkable condition considering it's parked predominately outside for the past 7 years, albeit covered when I have the patience. Although I've regularly used 303 Fabric Guard, the SoCal sun has still does its work with fading the color, thus I'm looking to restore to a deeper black before I do the next round of weather sealing.
choularton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #13
BobC63

My Ride: 330ci convertible
Year: 2003
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 5 spd Auto
If, after you wash / dry your vert top you still see staining or fading... try this.

Sharpie magic marker. Seriously.

My vert top had heavy 'fade' marks running across the top along the bends in the vert top framing (probably caused by being stored 'top down' too long).

After washing and drying I figured why not give it a try. 'Colored in' the faded areas using a fat - point Sharpie marker.

See the photos and tell me if you can tell where I used the marker vs. the OEM black of the canvas top..?

Sounds crazy - but it works!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3997.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	789821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3998.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	789823  
BobC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #14
[email protected]

I had some pollen on mine and used a lint roller like you'd get at the dry cleaner - this seems like a different more substantial issue but might be of use going forward - rather than rubbing pollen/feather-like plant stuff into the top like I was about to might be worth trying a lint roller. Even the heavy spray at local self car wash wouldn't make the pollen budge but the lint roller took it all right off. Hope you found something that worked!
Nhbrown@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:40 AM   #15
choularton

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC63 View Post
If, after you wash / dry your vert top you still see staining or fading... try this.

Sharpie magic marker. Seriously.

My vert top had heavy 'fade' marks running across the top along the bends in the vert top framing (probably caused by being stored 'top down' too long).

After washing and drying I figured why not give it a try. 'Colored in' the faded areas using a fat - point Sharpie marker.

See the photos and tell me if you can tell where I used the marker vs. the OEM black of the canvas top..?

Sounds crazy - but it works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I had some pollen on mine and used a lint roller like you'd get at the dry cleaner - this seems like a different more substantial issue but might be of use going forward - rather than rubbing pollen/feather-like plant stuff into the top like I was about to might be worth trying a lint roller. Even the heavy spray at local self car wash wouldn't make the pollen budge but the lint roller took it all right off. Hope you found something that worked!
Appreciate the suggestions. From those shots, I honestly cannot see any major blemishes in the color, so I will absolutely keep a sharpie in mind for a spot or two where I suspect bird droppings have 'burned' the color.

The lint roller is an excellent idea IMO, for regular cleaning and especially right before applying a sealant to ensure the majority of dust/debris is removed. I'll have to give this a go and see what things look like before I decide whether to move forward with a full dye job.

Haven't been able to find my soft fabric brush for cleaning since a recent move, about to grab to another to do the first proper cleaning in a while. I'll post a follow-up if I end up deciding to do a full dye, etc.
choularton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:04 AM   #16
BenFaneli

My Ride: M5
Hello. I got a convertible from my grandfather, I love it very much but don't want to wash it, it's good that I have a Best Top Load Washing Machine in India, it's very easy and simple to wash sneezes from under the seats. _sl_

Last edited by BenFaneli; 03-09-2020 at 01:04 AM.
BenFaneli is offline   Reply With Quote