hazard button dropped into console - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
Fibonacci_E46

My Ride: 2002 330CI
Year: 2002
Model: 330CI
Transmission: manual
hazard button dropped into console

pressing the door unlock button - the assembly dropped into the console .

Has this happened to anyone? I searched the forums but I don't think I'm searching for the right words.

look like the button housing is intact, but the plastic around the trim/console is cracked.

Any creative fixes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Console_bad.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	784977  

past rides
1985 528e
1981 320i

and lots of other Italian, Japanese and German cars. I tend to stay with the WWII Axis powers
Fibonacci_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
Jagdtiger

My Ride: 05 330CI
It happened to me. I had to remove the console to get it back out. I just snapped mine back in. I'll glue it if that ever happens again. The button looked ok to me but I think the slot in the console it sits in was damaged.
Jagdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
You'll need to follow a very prescribed sequence.

You'll need a paperclip, piece of cardboard, lighter fluid, lighter, and a nurse or doctor.

Seriously, though, I'd guess you can wedge something in somewhere, possibly use a lighter to heat the paperclip to make some form of frame repair and/or clip repair.

Possibly a new switch? realoem.com for all your part number needs. Might be you can buy your broken part. I'll look around for grins...see if I can help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Find your local u-pull-it yard. It's not a common issue at all, so chances are very good if there's an E46 or two on the lot, the button/console should be intact.

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S '85 RX-7 GSL

Last edited by Spannerhead; 09-30-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3241

It's the whole console ...which isn't a horrible repair.

But in looking closer, maybe you could build a new frame to wedge in or possible glue from underneath?

A thin sheet of metal and some gorilla glue...and a couple of clamps overnight should hold pretty well. Not sure what's underneath where the tab broke, but if you can find that piece, you'll know what to replicate.

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
Fibonacci_E46

My Ride: 2002 330CI
Year: 2002
Model: 330CI
Transmission: manual
Awesome, I will attempt to repair it this week but looks like it is easy to find a replacement if needed. thanks !!

past rides
1985 528e
1981 320i

and lots of other Italian, Japanese and German cars. I tend to stay with the WWII Axis powers
Fibonacci_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Wrap some electrical tape around it so it fits snug.

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #8
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Pick up a beater console and a can of BMW Black LVP spray paint and one of adhesion promotor. Clean all the BMW soft surface off and re-spray - looks like new. Not hard. Not expensive. Crappy trim pieces are a dime a dozen.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
There's a chance the bottom dropped out of the switch, a common occurrence. When you get it out re-glue or put some tape over the bottom of the switch as pm.

Bad outer xi ball joint?

Last edited by jmo69; 09-30-2019 at 09:00 PM.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:23 AM   #10
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
Pick up a beater console and a can of BMW Black LVP spray paint and one of adhesion promotor. Clean all the BMW soft surface off and re-spray - looks like new. Not hard. Not expensive. Crappy trim pieces are a dime a dozen.
That's a great idea. Is this the paint you mentioned?
Colorbond 258 BMW Black LVP
https://www.sylshop.com/product/colo...ay-paint-12-oz
https://www.colorbondpaint.com/produ...iant=312977347

Last edited by BaliDawg; 10-01-2019 at 12:26 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:58 AM   #11
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
yes happened to me. dealership clowns pressed the hazards when in line to do the airbag recalls. pressing too hard pushes the switch in past its retaining top trim and into the console body.
your console is fine! its the switch, its two piece. one piece is a top trim and the other is a body. you can probably find the trim pieces in the console and glue back together with epoxy. i then sprayed it black. i did this about a year half ago been fine. but if you press hazards again be gently, or it might break trim again and fall down.
looking on eBay you can get a new one for like $12 shipped. if need be I would go this route next time and not hassle again. bmw doesnt sell the little trim separately and how often do you really use the hazards. aftermarket switch should be fine.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #12
BobC63

My Ride: 330ci convertible
Year: 2003
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 5 spd Auto
Pretty common problem from what I've seen. In my case, I just unbolted the center console and pushed it back up through. Then I put a small piece of wood underneath the switch to hold it up in the proper place (there's only about a half inch of space between the bottom of the switch and the trans tunnel).
Sounds a bit 'ghetto', but it is rock-solid in place, can never fall through again - and looks OEM from inside the cabin. Plus, it didn't cost me anything but maybe a half hour of my time...
BobC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
Newbimer

My Ride: 2005 325i
If only problem is its not staying in place. Hot glue will fix that.
Newbimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #14
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

here is a closer look at the switch and the top bezel/surround. the switch body clips into the bezel and that being wider is what holds it in place when inserted into the console opening.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Old 10-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #15
Newbimer

My Ride: 2005 325i
The console holds it in placer, but the plastic that holds it in is thin and flimsy, most of the time it bends out of shape if you remove/replace it incorrectly. If that happens you can heat up the retaining clips on the bezel and push them back into position, then use hot glue to keep it in position.
Newbimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #16
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
There's a chance the bottom dropped out of the switch, a common occurrence. When you get it out re-glue or put some tape over the bottom of the switch as pm.
^ this vid is a different issue of the bottom coming apart. although well meaning i HIGHLY suggest not making some hook and jamming it up, that increased chance of breaking the bezel. and a good chance of also scratching the buttons. looking closely at vid it appears bezel has been cracked at top section between hazard and door lock buttons.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #17
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
^ this vid is a different issue of the bottom coming apart. although well meaning i HIGHLY suggest not making some hook and jamming it up, that increased chance of breaking the bezel. and a good chance of also scratching the buttons. looking closely at vid it appears bezel has been cracked at top section between hazard and door lock buttons.
I realized that, but it still might be a good idea to reinforce the bottom of the switch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #18
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
That's a great idea. Is this the paint you mentioned?
Colorbond 258 BMW Black LVP
https://www.sylshop.com/product/colo...ay-paint-12-oz
https://www.colorbondpaint.com/produ...iant=312977347
That's the one!
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote