2000 323i Fuel Pump Installation - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #1
BVWBMW

2000 323i Fuel Pump Installation

I was able to trace a my cars loss of power and now inability to start back to my fuel pump. would any of you DIYers be able to share how to remove and install the fuel pump. I have exposed the pump under the rear seat and see that it is secured by a very large flange, is there a special tool to remove that? I will appreciate as many details that you can provide. Thank you!
BVWBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:36 AM   #2
ADA

just out of curiousity, why do you say it is the fuel pump and not the fuel pressure regulator?
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
BVWBMW

after consulting 2 different mechanics,(I was fortuante enough to have the car die in a an Autozone parking lot) the fuel pump is not turning on, so no fuel is getting to the motor, I will also look at the relay as a cheap fix, but I want to be prepared to do the worst case scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
BVWBMW

Well I was able to figure out how to remove and replace it and I am happy to say that the problem is solved and I am 1 step closer to being a BMW mechanic..lol... Bottom loine is it was relitively easy.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
blkm

My Ride: m
so how do you do it . Since there are no DIY would you kindly let us know
Thanks
blkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
BVWBMW

Not a Problem, This is for the 2000 BMW e46 323i 4 door sedan

* Remove Back seat, pull up and it is held in by 2 clips
* Fuel Pump is located behind passangers seat, Lift up rubber flap and un-bolt 4 bolts holding cover down
* There is a flange that has grooves in it, assuming that a BMW tool is required to "unscrew it" It is similar to a mason jar lid. To remove this I recommend eith the tool or in my case I used a 6 inch chisel and tapped it until ring started to move. ( Unplug the wire, which is a ***** to remove) I would carefully use a thin regular screw driver to shimmy it off alternating sides. once the "lid is removed you will need to unclamp and remove the fuel line, cap it with a screw to avoid leaking.

* once you have removed the lid the Fuel pump should pop right out of the gas tank, remove the gasket your new pump should come with a new one. Install the new gasket and install the new pump. Put the lid/ flange back on and us the chissel to tighten until the glue mark is in the same place as the one that was removed. Attach the fuel line and replace clamp, plug in wire and withing 5 seconds your car should start up. allow to run and monitor for any leaks. Be advised if you have a full tank gas will spill over, take comfort that it will leak to the ground, but be very careful , you may want to roll the car away from the spilled gas before starting. .... if you can't figure out the rest, you may want to take to the stealership.

Peace!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
nycz_stix

My Ride: 323i
great DIY! just what i needed. but if you dont mind me asking....where did you buy a new fuel pump and for how much?
nycz_stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
SlyWms

My Ride: 20003231 Sport Wagon
Thanks for that info on the Install BVW. I had a Dealership / service manager in NJ tell me that they need to drop the tank. Part $437.00 + 3 hours labor. Close to a $1000.00 estmate. I got a pump from Bavauto $169.00 when I recieve it He and I are going to a have serious talk. I was stuck on the road so I had it towed to MtLaural. I know better now.
SlyWms is offline   Reply With Quote