Loose Fabric on Interior Pillar Parts - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2020, 06:31 AM   #41
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
If you guys think $517 is a lot for a set of pillar covers, just check out the price of the black set for sedans.

Still pissed I didn't buy one when the price was more reasonable.
the prices are diff for each side , the rear i was able to re glue

the front's avg $100 a side

ecs seems ti have them cheaper than fcp, i've found depending on the part, this seems to be the case , so i always compare both sites

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #42
beechbmw

My Ride: 2004 330ci Coupe
Transmission: 6 spd SSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
the prices are diff for each side , the rear i was able to re glue
ecs seems to have them cheaper than fcp, i've found depending on the part, this seems to be the case , so i always compare both sites
Maybe FCPEuro is trying to cover a little for their warranty because they are projecting that they are going to probably get returns on these for which they will have to provide replacements. Just a guess on my part. Ive already bought a set of As and Cs for my car from FCPEuro.
beechbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #43
wasp9166

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechbmw View Post
Maybe FCPEuro is trying to cover a little for their warranty because they are projecting that they are going to probably get returns on these for which they will have to provide replacements. Just a guess on my part. Ive already bought a set of As and Cs for my car from FCPEuro.
yeah, but mine took 16 yrs to start peeling

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
Old 03-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #44
JochenWoern

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2003
Model: 330i
Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Yes! Post pics of the result! Thanks for exploring this Bali.
YES, THANK YOU Bali

DAUGHTER's 2003 BMW 330i, 111k miles.
Sport & Premium Package, 2 Tone Black/Natural Brown Interior, Harmon Kardon, PDC, Navigation, Xenon Headlights.

2010 BMW R1200R (MINE)
2002 KTM 400 MXC (MINE)
2004 KTM 250 EXC (SONs)
JochenWoern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #45
Contant

My Ride: N/A
I think that rubber glue may be suitable for fabric bonding, at least there will be no problems with smearing it and it copes well with these types of materials.
Contant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:46 AM   #46
wasp9166

i used this on the back

Quote:
Old 03-31-2020, 04:37 PM   #47
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
The paint arrived today. Photo of the paint can's cap color against the pillar cloth.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/AC...w1912-h1434-no

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:03 PM   #48
330XiNamedBif

My Ride: 2005 330Xi 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow323i View Post
I was having the same issue in my car. As a member previously mentioned, both 'A' pillar tabs broke when I tried to reinstall them. I used the Permatex spray adhesive to re-glue the fabric. You can try it yourself, but take your time and don't use too much adhesive. Though, in my opinion it's not worth the effort. The fabric is too thin, delicate, and difficult to glue back on properly, and the glue tends to seep through. Don't expect perfection. You can try finding pieces in better shape at your local U-Pull scrapyard. That's what I'll be doing as my local dealer wants $160 CAD for each side (not surprisingly).
Feel any better about buying new from FCP Euro? They come with lifetime money back guarantee so it would be the last pair you pay for, even if they end up "melting" again.

A pillars: $100 each
B pillars: $130 each
C pillars: $80 each.

The B pillars are the only ones that really bother me in my 2005. Of course they're the most expensive and most involved to replace.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:08 PM   #49
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
The paint arrived today. Photo of the paint can's cap color against the pillar cloth.
Nice! Can't wait to see the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XiNamedBif View Post
Feel any better about buying new from FCP Euro? They come with lifetime money back guarantee so it would be the last pair you pay for, even if they end up "melting" again.

The B pillars are the only ones that really bother me in my 2005. Of course they're the most expensive and most involved to replace.
That's all fine and good, but A) that's still mighty pricey and B) at some point BMW will stop making them and then FCP won't have any to sell. Hence the desire for an alternate solution.

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:21 PM   #50
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XiNamedBif View Post

After having removed all six pillars in my facelift coupe recently and pulling off the pillar cloth, I would (and may still) just have them recovered at an upholstery shop like 325ciLover and Archbid did. The plastic covers and the thin airbag strips stay intact if you are careful removing them.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:33 PM   #51
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Well, I shot the first two coats straight into the foam backing and although the color match is damn near perfect, it looks....terrible!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pJ...w1912-h1434-no

Going to take them to my upholstery guy and have them properly recovered.
[Hangs head and slowly walks away...]

Last edited by BaliDawg; 03-31-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:02 PM   #52
Spannerhead

Quote:
Well, I shot the first two coats straight into the foam backing and although the color match is damn near perfect, it looks....terrible!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pJ...w1912-h1434-no

Going to take them to my upholstery guy and have them properly recovered.
[Hangs head and slowly walks away...]
Thanks for trying! Before you take them to your upholstery guy, why not try to scrape off all the adhesive/foam residue and reshoot?

Current:

Past BMWs:

Old 03-31-2020, 07:09 PM   #53
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Thanks for trying! Before you take them to your upholstery guy, why not try to scrape off all the adhesive/foam residue and reshoot?
Before I painted, I tried picking at the foam backing from an edge and it was seriously stuck on there. I didnt apply heat though, so maybe Ill try that. If its really hard removing the foam backing I am not going that route.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:06 PM   #54
Spannerhead

Quote:
Before I painted, I tried picking at the foam backing from an edge and it was seriously stuck on there. I didnt apply heat though, so maybe Ill try that. If its really hard removing the foam backing I am not going that route.
Why not try a chemical solvent like acetone?

Just trying to save you (and us!) time and money...

Current:

Past BMWs:

Old 03-31-2020, 08:36 PM   #55
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Why not try a chemical solvent like acetone?

Just trying to save you (and us!) time and money...
Yeah, thats a good suggestion! Feeling the peer pressure now. Haha

Old 03-31-2020, 10:27 PM   #56
FelixJ7

Loose fabric on interior pillar parts

Take the entire pillar cover off by gently prying out the center section and removing the screws. From there' it's pretty easy to re-stretch the fabric and re-glue. I used a spray adhesive on mine, and it worked very well. Be patient, stretch as you re-apply the existing fabric. I would NOT advise pulling off the fabric with the pillar cover still screwed on. That'll make the job twice as hard and almost impossible to get it just right.
FelixJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:15 AM   #57
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Quote:
Totally agree. At some point, new pillars are going to be NLA, and upholsterers can't recover them satisfactorily, so IMO we need to figure out a paint solution if we're going to make these look acceptable long-term.
Why can't upholsterers recover them? Mine look great recovered.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:16 AM   #58
325ciLover

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
The upholsterer I used did a great job.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
325ciLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #59
Spannerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
I'm still waiting to see a reupholstered A-pillar with the fabric tucked down into the screw recess in a way that allows the cover piece to sit flush with surface of the A-pillar. It would really bother me if it sat up from the surface. YMMV.

Current:

Past BMWs:

Old 04-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #60
205_zhp

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i ZHP
Year: 2005
Model: 330i ZHP
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
I'm still waiting to see a reupholstered A-pillar with the fabric tucked down into the screw recess in a way that allows the cover piece to sit flush with surface of the A-pillar. It would really bother me if it sat up from the surface. YMMV.

Im recovering mine this week but with a foam backed headliner material. Well see how it turns out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05 BMW 330i ZHP DINAN3

Instagram @205_zhp
205_zhp is offline   Reply With Quote