Why won't my E46 M3 sell? - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 07:39 PM   #21
Cooolone

My Ride: 330XI
Rebuilt! That's why... I wouldn't either, just saying.

Also, 10 pics basically showing nothing but ascetics. Take more of engine bay, trunk, underside, suspension, etc., as a suggestion.
Cooolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:35 AM   #22
///Mark_D

My Ride: 04 325i & 02 325iT
I'm in the market for an M3 but mainly looking for a rough cosmetic car with solid mechanicals for an S54 swap into my wagon. I check CL daily and did notice your car (I'm up in WI) but its too nice and too expensive for someone like me to buy as a swap donor.

There are a lot of E46 M3's on autotrader and CL for sale right now and most have been sitting for a while... so I don't think you're alone. Winter is a tough time to sell a car in general, especially in the midwest. You'll probably have better luck once the weather gets better in a few months.

You're also pretty high on asking price considering the rebuilt title. If I were looking for a car to keep as a driver and not part out I'd be in the 10-15k range for a clean title car with 150k miles or less. You've only got 68K miles which should help a lot, but I think all the mods probably turn some buyers off who are looking for a clean stock example. If yours was bone stock you might start attracting the EAG type crowd with such low miles.

Not that you should convert your car back to stock by any means, but will probably just take longer to find that right buyer with similar cosmetic tastes and who thinks the mechanical upgrades are worth what you're asking.
///Mark_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #23
BobC63

My Ride: 330ci convertible
Year: 2003
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 5 spd Auto
It's definitely the salvage title coupled with how 'young' the car was at the time of salvage... as others have pointed out, a 1-year old M3 (with probably less than 20K miles on it at the time?) doesn't get 'totaled' from a 4K bodywork accident. Now, giving it some thought I personally would rationalize that the car should still be OK as-is now, since that was 13 years and probably 50K miles ago. So, in my head I wouldn't see the salvage title as an absolute red flag from purchasing. HOWEVER, I would expect a VERY big reduction in asking price vs. a clean title car of the same vintage / condition. Because, again, something much bigger than a "fender bender" happened to that car 13 years ago...
BobC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #24
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC63 View Post
It's definitely the salvage title coupled with how 'young' the car was at the time of salvage... as others have pointed out, a 1-year old M3 (with probably less than 20K miles on it at the time?) doesn't get 'totaled' from a 4K bodywork accident. Now, giving it some thought I personally would rationalize that the car should still be OK as-is now, since that was 13 years and probably 50K miles ago. So, in my head I wouldn't see the salvage title as an absolute red flag from purchasing. HOWEVER, I would expect a VERY big reduction in asking price vs. a clean title car of the same vintage / condition. Because, again, something much bigger than a "fender bender" happened to that car 13 years ago...
Great point.
But, I bet most people just think Salvage is salvage

Last edited by OnTheFence; 01-15-2020 at 03:52 PM.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:53 PM   #25
das_autobahn

My Ride: 2004 330ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Great point.

technically it is just salvage.
das_autobahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #26
malapane

My Ride: E46 M3, 325iT & F30
The only ones that bring bigger numbers are clean unmolested ones with the right options. There are many in that mid to low price range that have one ore more misses on the checklist for very picky M3 buyers. Yours has two misses, salvage title and it's been modded. Might need to drop it down a little bit to sell even when the weather turns.

I wish you good luck in a few months.
malapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #27
BobC63

My Ride: 330ci convertible
Year: 2003
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 5 spd Auto
Quote:
Great point.
True. I've been toying with possibly picking up a similar vintage Jag or MB and have been watching for a decent one locally for some time now...

What I've seen with those 2 brands anyway (and I'd guess BMW would be similar) is that the ones w/ a salvage title are asking about HALF of what a clean titled car of same type / age / condition is going for.
And these aren't wrecks; these are fully repaired / restored vehicles that visually you would never think "salvage title". But that salvage title is cutting the value (and asking price) pretty much in half.

Looking at the OPs case, if a minty lo miles 06 M3 is going for $17 - 18K ish...

IMO that's a sub - $10K car he's got with that title...
BobC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #28
ceaser187

Agree with everyone else and I'll add a few things-

Put the stock rims back on it. Nothing says "I treated this car like ****" more to me than aftermarket rims . I don't know why - maybe its just me - but, that's how I feel.

Also mods devalue a car again, tons of mods usually say "I treated this car like ****". Most people don't want someone else' project.
ceaser187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #29
doukas007

My Ride: e46 320 coupe
Year: 2001
Model: 320ci
Transmission: manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaser187 View Post
Agree with everyone else and I'll add a few things-

Put the stock rims back on it. Nothing says "I treated this car like ****" more to me than aftermarket rims . I don't know why - maybe its just me - but, that's how I feel.

Also mods devalue a car again, tons of mods usually say "I treated this car like ****". Most people don't want someone else' project.
I would feel the same about the wheels , doesn't look clean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #30
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Mods actually subtract value.
Nothing is worth more than an unmolested original survivor.
well that’s not always true. especially when using genuine OE parts.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #31
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
it’s not selling because:
1) the price is too high.
2) Rebuilt title
3) “modded” cars limit the buyer pool. especially when it’s engine related and not just cosmetic.
4) winter
5) “firm” on price

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:29 PM   #32
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
5) “firm” on price
^This is a really underrated factor. Buyers want to be able to haggle---it's just part of the process---and to hopefully be able to talk you down, even if it's only a couple hundred. It makes them feel more discriminating.

Saying "firm" up front can also imply that you're a more confrontational seller, further reducing the pool of prospective buyers.

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:32 PM   #33
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Saying "firm" up front can also imply that you're a more confrontational seller, further reducing the pool of prospective buyers.
Yeah I have to say, every tie I read that line I get the impression that the seller is an ass and just move on.

TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:18 PM   #34
BNMTOOLS

Car prices fluctuate.
M3s haven't been selling because they are only worth what we are willing to pay. Right now they are over priced, people are putting their money into other cars.

The value of all cars depreciate, it's a select few cars that appreciate, but only after they have hit the bottom. NADA and KBB set the value that insurance companies use to pay out if it's totaled. As an investment, I don't buy cars that I can't fully insure, at the time of purchase.

Collectible cars with mods are worth less.

Advice:
Hold on to it until demand comes back.

More important is that Rebuilt Title. If that car is fully repaired, some states have a mechanism to have the tile restored. If so, get that done.
BNMTOOLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:07 PM   #35
BNMTOOLS

Realistically, the car is worth what an insurance company will insure it for with collision coverage.

It's not as much with a rebuilt title.
BNMTOOLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:50 AM   #36
BiH55

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
If someone crashes that car the insurance would pay only 50% value
BiH55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:38 AM   #37
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
If it was clean title you could get 17k for it no problem. I'd say it's worth 13ish. If also suggest posting it in the Facebook marketplace as well. Craigslist is mostly dead nowadays imo

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:11 AM   #38
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
because they are maint hogs, you're too high and it's a s title

pretty simple

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #39
docnabimmer

My Ride: 2004 325XIT
Year: 2004
Model: 325XIT
Transmission: standard
If You want a closer to realistic value for your vehicle your selling or buying is to go to your bank and ask them what the loan value is of that vehicle. They already take into account market prices as well as insurance risks to the equation when they value a vehicle.
Loan value will be the amount the financial institution is willing to let yhe consumer borrow to purchase a vehicle.
And we know banks don't like losing money.
docnabimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #40
dougdye325

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
I tried to sell an M3 in the Winter in Wisconsin and had similar results. Based on your photos, I would recommend lots of photos showing no rust damage and no rear suspension mount damage. As well, Craigslist people are super cheap and most likely don't have the funds to pay $17,000 for a fifteen year old car. I would list it on Autotrader or try Bring a trailer so that you put the car in front of more enthusiasts or at least have it where there is a better search engine for people looking for an E46 M3. You may also take into consideration that people on a budget will want to drive your car to where they live- a real challenge during Midwest winters. Lovely car though!
dougdye325 is offline   Reply With Quote