Let's talk about winter storage - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #21
Antti

My Ride: 330CI / 316 1.8i
Year: 2005
Model: 330CI M-Sport II
Transmission: Automatic
Hello

My 330CI is in heated garage from September to May, or so long as we have snow and bad weather outside.

I dont add anything special in gas tank. Gas will be just fine when i need to drive it next year.
I charge battery couple of times per winter season with CTEK MXS 5.0 automatic charger.
I have car covered with linen sheets.
If i have some reason to start car, then i let car idle for a while.
My garage tempeature is approx. +20celsius.
I always do oil service before driving season, so there will be fresh oil for summer.

Covers do not scratch anything, as long you have clean car and clean soft cover.

Most of the time it is parked like this

Some months car is usually in jack stands when i do paintwork polishing.

BMW E46 316 1.8i Sport 2005 Mysticblau metallic /Showroom
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Renault Clio RS197 2007 Ultra Red

Last edited by Antti; 12-03-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #22
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
if you cover it outside , it does in fact scratch the paint , trust me

of course not inside, there isn't wind and dirt

i don't even scrape snow across paint , i've gotten compliments on how i keep it so shiny so old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 12-03-2019 at 09:23 AM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #23
BobC63

My Ride: 330ci convertible
Year: 2003
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 5 spd Auto
Lots of great tips and suggestions here

My 330cic is stored in a garage from about October - March. In prep for storage, I run the gas down to just about empty and then fill back up. Check and top off (if needed) all fluids. Attach the battery tender and cover the cockpit (I start the storage with the top down; I find it helps avoid a buildup of that "old car" smell). About once a month (if weather permits) I start it up, raise the top, and take it for a 15 - 20 minute drive through town and onto the freeway. Run through all the heat / blower settings (once warmed up); hit the AC briefly, run the tranny through normal / sport / manual modes, etc. Turn on lights, raise / lower all windows, etc. just to check that their are no obvious issues. Bring it back home and stow it away until the next drive time. Since I generally drive it around once a month I don't set the tire pressure any higher than normal.

I guess my only 'tip' to add to this thread is that, unless you live in a location where snow is on the ground CONTINUOUSLY throughout the winter months... I highly recommend at least the occasional (monthly or so) "warm up drive". Allows fluids to circulate and lubricate, etc., pumps and belts to spin and bearings to rotate; bushings to flex and compress, etc. All things that won't happen in a static storage situation...
BobC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #24
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC63 View Post
Lots of great tips and suggestions here

My 330cic is stored in a garage from about October - March. In prep for storage, I run the gas down to just about empty and then fill back up. Check and top off (if needed) all fluids. Attach the battery tender and cover the cockpit (I start the storage with the top down; I find it helps avoid a buildup of that "old car" smell). About once a month (if weather permits) I start it up, raise the top, and take it for a 15 - 20 minute drive through town and onto the freeway. Run through all the heat / blower settings (once warmed up); hit the AC briefly, run the tranny through normal / sport / manual modes, etc. Turn on lights, raise / lower all windows, etc. just to check that their are no obvious issues. Bring it back home and stow it away until the next drive time. Since I generally drive it around once a month I don't set the tire pressure any higher than normal.

I guess my only 'tip' to add to this thread is that, unless you live in a location where snow is on the ground CONTINUOUSLY throughout the winter months... I highly recommend at least the occasional (monthly or so) "warm up drive". Allows fluids to circulate and lubricate, etc., pumps and belts to spin and bearings to rotate; bushings to flex and compress, etc. All things that won't happen in a static storage situation...
The recommendation to drive a car stored during the winter as frequently as possible as time and weather permits should be followed. I maintain a fleet of 6 old cars ranging in age from 60 years old to 20 years old (my 2000 328ci is the newest). They are only driven by 3 family members and some of them end up sitting for long periods and the older ones are only driven several hundred miles per year. Over many years I have had success by driving each car on a regular basis, every week or two in nice weather and as much as possible in the winter. I have had occasion where my E46 sat for two months and started right up and ran fine. One of the cars is a 1996 Lexus which often sits 6 months between use and starts right up and drives fine. All of these cars receive routine maintenance and all but 2 are stored inside with battery disconnected if its not going to be driven often). Another great recommendation is to use all features and accessories when taking the car for exercise during the winter months such as power windows, locks, seat, cruise control, tilt wheel, HVAC, top (covertibles) etc. so you keep things moving and know whether any issues arise.

IxNay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #25
tbouchard991

My Ride: -
Year: 2000
Model: 323iT
Transmission: ZF 5 Speed Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Fill fuel tank full. Add correct amount of gas stabilizer. Run engine for several minutes or drive home from gas station. Park it. Max out tire air pressure. Attached battery maintainer to under-hood terminals. Stuff rags in air box intake. Stuff rags in tail pipe openings. Moth ball in cabin. Peppermint bag under the hood.
Wouldn't it be easier to unplug the battery instead of having a battery maintainer?
tbouchard991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #26
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
never heard of stuffing tailpipe , they will make a nest in the head? lol, never seen this starting every couple weeks wards this off i bet
Mine sat for a long weekend one summer, a rodent started to build a nest on top of the fuel tank. It chewed the top of the sending unit on the left side of the tank. I keep finding evidence of activity on top of the intake manifold too.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #27
tbouchard991

My Ride: -
Year: 2000
Model: 323iT
Transmission: ZF 5 Speed Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
Mine sat for a long weekend one summer, a rodent started to build a nest on top of the fuel tank. It chewed the top of the sending unit on the left side of the tank. I keep finding evidence of activity on top of the intake manifold too.
I've had issue with this too, with activity on the intake manifold, making a home in the U and going under the engine cover. However got some mothballs which i put around the car, and in the car, hopefully this will fix the issue.

Last edited by tbouchard991; 12-03-2019 at 06:29 PM.
tbouchard991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #28
jmo69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbouchard991 View Post
I've had issue with this too, with activity on the intake manifold, making a home in the U and going under the engine cover. However got some mothballs which i put around the car, and in the car, hopefully this will fix the issue.
I've got the M56 valve cover without the covers so it's easy to see any activity. I haven't been successful with the trap yet. Pretty sure I got the one that tried to nest on the fuel sender though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bad outer xi ball joint?
Old 12-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #29
wasp9166

i chased an evp leak , ended up, there is a plastic post on top of the fuel pump, for whatever reason ...................the bast sit up there and chew the end off , so keep that in mind

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
Old 12-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #30
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 F10 RT
All kidding aside, just about 80% of the CEL for evap codes are caused by mice or rodents climbing on top of the fuel tank and making a nest. For whatever reason, they like German plastic & rubber.

If your car is in the garage, I'd suggest a couple of those ultrasonic pest deterrents that plug into the wall plugs. Work well for my customers, most (not all) of the time.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #31
E46brad

My Ride: 325i
Year: 2003
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Winter Storage

I stored my E46 in the old Limestone mine for winter time Nov. to April.

_nr_

Last edited by E46brad; 12-06-2019 at 12:39 PM.
E46brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #32
IxNay

Quote:
I've got the M56 valve cover without the covers so it's easy to see any activity. I haven't been successful with the trap yet. Pretty sure I got the one that tried to nest on the fuel sender though.

Last year I saw signs of mice in the same exact spot on my intake manifold and I ended up catching three mice before the winter arrived putting an end to the problem. Now I check frequently and have not had a problem since. Keeping the engine bay clean makes it easy to see where mice have been as they piss everywhere and often leave bits of nesting materials or food along their way.

Old 12-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #33
IxNay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post

never heard of stuffing tailpipe , they will make a nest in the head? lol, never seen this

starting every couple weeks wards this off i bet

def trickle
I never considered this until one time with another car I own, an old Studebaker, that was sitting for several months as bodywork was being done. When the bodywork and paint were done I could not start the car. After doing a full tune-up on the engine, checking timing and ignition dwell, I finally determined that mice had nested in the muffler completely clogging it which prevented the engine from starting due to excessive back pressure in the exhaust system.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:21 PM   #34
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
NC? Drive it year round.
No reason you can't drive it once a month.
Get a trickle charger
Old 12-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #35
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
NC? Drive it year round.
No reason you can't drive it once a month.
Get a trickle charger
If that post was for me I explained I have no need to store my car for the winter, I live in the south. I'm just trying to get an education on what our brethren from the north go through to protect our cars from the elements.

I use my X5 as a daily driver because the E46 is at 205,000 miles now. I do keep the E46 parked for up to a couple of months when I'm off racing and it is kept on a Battery Tender. I do get some flat spotting on my tires though but I'm sure it's just the fact they are 5 years old now.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 12-05-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #36
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:

Can you jam pieces of peanut, cashew, almond, or whatever into the trap trigger and then cover with a smear of peanut butter? I've had good results getting mice in the garage this way. They get the PB without setting it off, but then will trip it when they start pulling on the lodged peanut pieces.

:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:56 PM   #37
jmo69

I've tried the peanut butter but not with a nut, the wife buys big bags of peanuts for her birds and squirrels. I'll have to try that, I have used liquid bait with some success getting them as they come into the garage.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #38
IxNay

I use old fashioned wooden mouse traps with peanut butter which seems to work best.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #39
wasp9166

you have to smear the pb so it gets into the holes , then when they dig, blammo

and yeah, these are the best

i don't put em on my car tho , in the apt

Quote:

Last edited by wasp9166; 12-07-2019 at 06:44 AM.