Starting with the battery - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
HarleyRob

My Ride: '03 330Ci
Starting with the battery

Hello all, been a while...

Helping a friend with the "cog of death". He was frustrated with the car in limp mode and was about to take it to a scrap yard. From what he tells me sounds like it could be the battery (I certainly realize it can be many other things as well). Won't hold a charge so I figured to start with the battery. My questions are 1) can someone suggest a battery (or where to get) for his 2003 330ci? Currently has a "NAPA" battery. And 2) after putting the new battery in does the "cog of death" have to be reset some how? Will it reset itself if indeed the battery was the issue? I've been reading past threads and haven't come across this exactly. Thx for the help!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HarleyRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
I suggest a new H7 MAXX Everstart from Walmart - and if that isn't what's wrong, you can return it the next day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

Last edited by All2kool; 09-10-2019 at 01:14 PM.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
HarleyRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
I suggest a new H7 MAXX Everstart from Walmart - and if that isn't what's wrong, you can return it the next day.
Thank you. So does the "cog" symbol have to be reset or will that happen automatically?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
BobC63

My Ride: 330ci convertible
Year: 2003
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 5 spd Auto
If the cause of the "cog" is the bad battery - then yes, it will reset itself when you remove the old battery and replace.

After installing the battery, test the alternator voltage while the car is running. Should be around 13.8 - 14.3 volts. If it is lower than that, the alternator might be bad (and that could have also ruined the first battery).
BobC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #5
HarleyRob

New battery, now what?

OK, installed a new battery. Let it idle for a bit but continues in limp mode. Should we try to drive it to help it reset from limp mode if it indeed was caused by the battery? Or will just idling do it? Also, Low coolant and low oil lights are now on but are sufficient when checked. Could those just be faulty sensors? Does anyone have a suggestion where to go from here. There are no engine codes btw.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
BobC63

Did you test the alternator to make sure that it is putting out the correct voltage? Otherwise you'll run that new battery down fast if the alternator is not functioning properly
Old 09-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
Silverdogz

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '04 330i
Year: 2004
Model: BMW 330i ZHP
Transmission: Manual 6spd
IIRC, the cog won't go away until you drive it a little, or clear the code in the computer, or both.

Also, the H7 is good, but an H8 will also fit.

Silverdogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #8
HarleyRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC63 View Post
Did you test the alternator to make sure that it is putting out the correct voltage? Otherwise you'll run that new battery down fast if the alternator is not functioning properly
Well, I tried by using the dash thingy but I could not get it to do anything. When pressed it does not allow you to cycle through to "19". How do I test at the alternator itself? I can probably look that up on youtube.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #9
HarleyRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdogz View Post
IIRC, the cog won't go away until you drive it a little, or clear the code in the computer, or both.

Also, the H7 is good, but an H8 will also fit.
I got the H7. I have obdfusion but not the other (I forget) that allows you to clear specific BMW transmission codes. Guess I'll have to take it out for a drive tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #10
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRob View Post
Well, I tried by using the dash thingy but I could not get it to do anything. When pressed it does not allow you to cycle through to "19". How do I test at the alternator itself? I can probably look that up on youtube.
You don't need to test at the alternator, anywhere in the system is fine. Test with a VOM either at the battery terminal or the junction lug near the drugs bin.

IIRC, when mine went into limp mode because of the battery it was good to go upon replacement of the battery. The cog of death cleared itself.

Last edited by VpointVick; 09-13-2019 at 07:16 AM.
VpointVick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #11
BobC63

Use a voltmeter (multimeter) at the battery terminals and verify that you read between 13.7 - 14.2 vdc while the car is running (idling). And yes, YouTube is your friend here. Much easier to watch a vid on "how to" than for me to write a long paragraph describing how to do it...