DAILY E46 MOD/REPAIR UPDATES - What have you done? - Page 2032 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2005 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #40621
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
^maybe. i don't know though... that can't be good for the battery especially with power hungry filament bulbs. also things like trees, trash cans dont have lights. i'd rather alert someone to my body getting out of the car vs the car just sitting there. that's what insurance is for.

Dusty old British laws that no one really obeys anymore.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q386.htm

The bulbs would run at very low voltage and the dash lights obviously don’t come on either, which saves a little power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 118k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
| drive tastefully
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #40622
Starbursty2122

My Ride: 2000 323i 5 speed
Here we go...

ECS Complete Performance Polyurethane Differential Bushing Set
OEM Right Tie Rod Assembly
OEM Left Tie Rod Assembly
OEM Trailing Arm Ball Joint(s)
OEM Rear Control Arm Bushing(s)
OEM Rear Lower Control Arm(s)
Polyurethane Trailing Arm Bushing(s)
OEM Rear Sway Bar End Link(s)
Performance Polyurethane Front Control Arm Bushing Set - With Brackets
Race Polyurethane Rear Subframe Bushing - Front Position
Race Polyurethane Rear Subframe Bushing - Rear Position Set
OEM Front Strut Mount(s)
OEM Rear Shock Mount(s)
OEM Rear Shock Mount Plate(s)
ECS Rear Urethane Trailing Arm Bushing Set
OEM Rear Brake Rotor(s)
Front Strut Assembly Bilstein B4(s)
Turner Rear Subframe/Chassis Reinforcement Kit
Valve Cover+Intake Boot & NGK Plugs
Power Steering Pump+Hoses+All Belts
Cooling System @112k, cars at 155k
OBX-R Catback Exhaust
Oil changes.. Duh

Trynna think of what else.... And yes I spend way to much on Lyda.

Last edited by Starbursty2122; 08-21-2017 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Clarity
Starbursty2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #40623
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Year: 2002
Transmission: ZF 5AT
Quote:
^maybe. i don't know though... that can't be good for the battery especially with power hungry filament bulbs. also things like trees, trash cans dont have lights. i'd rather alert someone to my body getting out of the car vs the car just sitting there. that's what insurance is for.
While I was skeptical of this before, I'm not now - whenever I park on a dark, not well-lit street, I flick my parking lights on. I probably wouldn't leave it running overnight, but several hours at a time seems to be no problem. Of course, this would be more useful to someone without reflectors, say on an M-Tech II bumper or something. I do it just for the added safety so nobody has an excuse to hit my car at night.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app

2002 BMW 330Ci 5AT
Quote:
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #40624
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
While I was skeptical of this before, I'm not now - whenever I park on a dark, not well-lit street, I flick my parking lights on. I probably wouldn't leave it running overnight, but several hours at a time seems to be no problem. Of course, this would be more useful to someone without reflectors, say on an M-Tech II bumper or something. I do it just for the added safety so nobody has an excuse to hit my car at night.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app
When they're drunk it doesn't matter if you have lights on, have reflectors, or even which side of the street it is in relation to them. Or if they stopped at the stop sign 100' before the car. Trust me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:44 AM   #40625
Assassin27

My Ride: E46 325ci

Installed matte grilles and an aux retrofit. Tires are almost done so might consider new wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #40626
DjDom

My Ride: E46
Year: 2006
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 6 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin27 View Post

Installed matte grilles and an aux retrofit. Tires are almost done so might consider new wheels

When will I see you at some meets up here?
DjDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #40627
Assassin27

My Ride: E46 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDom View Post
When will I see you at some meets up here?

Haha, maybe at kaiten if youre nearby. Could roll up with some other e46's im with

Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #40628
Kenacious D

My Ride: 2000 328i
Last week I got the new regulator and motor for the rear passenger window and did the replacement. I found a great tutorial video on YouTube and watched it a couple of times and went out and did the job. Worked like a charm and everything came out perfect. Front brakes are the next job.

Kenacious D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #40629
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 330iT
Assembled my new rear shocks. Sent the fronts to the mechanic to assemble (spidey senses going haywire with my crap spring compressor).
Installed a usb charge port in the cigarette socket. Easy to do, 5 min with a dremel and wire stripper. I'll likely rewire it for switched power when I retrofit the M3 power seats into the wagon (manual seats).

Also did the fuel filter. Sandblasted and painted the cover panel... never ending battle to head off rust.
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #40630
Neonnblack

My Ride: '03 330XI
Needed a roof rack this last weekend so I whipped one up. Thought I had a better picture of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using E46Fanatics mobile app
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #40631
jarjar

My Ride: 04 BMW 330CI
Notice any difference in performance after the filter change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayWagon View Post
Assembled my new rear shocks. Sent the fronts to the mechanic to assemble (spidey senses going haywire with my crap spring compressor).
Installed a usb charge port in the cigarette socket. Easy to do, 5 min with a dremel and wire stripper. I'll likely rewire it for switched power when I retrofit the M3 power seats into the wagon (manual seats).

Also did the fuel filter. Sandblasted and painted the cover panel... never ending battle to head off rust.
jarjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #40632
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 330iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjar View Post
Notice any difference in performance after the filter change?

Duno yet....
Still have to get the rest of the suspension back together.

I will report back. Hopefully it helps.. or I may have a fuel pump soft fail.

Sent from my XT1563 using E46Fanatics mobile app
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #40633
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
At least the fuel pump is an easy job.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #40634
veektor

My Ride: '02 325xi, '01 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
Needed a roof rack this last weekend so I whipped one up. Thought I had a better picture of it.

Is that aluminum? I'm impressed. Not the prettiest, but if it's cheap and functional, AND made from scratch, that always gets a thumbs up from me. Bonus points for already having the materials around the garage.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #40635
Neonnblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by veektor View Post
Is that aluminum? I'm impressed. Not the prettiest, but if it's cheap and functional, AND made from scratch, that always gets a thumbs up from me. Bonus points for already having the materials around the garage.
Just regular steel. Oh god no its ugly as ****. But it works great and will last forever. I didn't have enough time before hand to have a more aesthetic design. Other wise it would look slightly better. And yeah most of it laying around. Cost maybe 20 bucks for some random bits.

Last edited by Neonnblack; 08-24-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #40636
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post

closeups where they bolt to the roof? like what fastener did you use. does it scratch it? whats protecting it? just curious

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #40637
jeng

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I got it running again today.

And I'm very pleased. Back in February, my wife's car (2001 330ci, manual transmission, 184K) overheated. The dealer gave a list of things to replace and repair. $5500 worth.

I decided to DIY it and go past what the dealer recommended. Repairs include:
  • master refresh cooling kit
  • CCV valve
  • power steering hose
  • VANOS oil line
  • control arm bushings
  • front sway bar links
  • water inlet pipes & assorted hoses replaced
  • starter motor
  • several sensors
  • front windshield cowl
  • fuel filter
  • so many o-rings I lost count
  • oil filter & oil level sending sensor

I did several dopey things along the way like throwing away the plastic ring that connects the lower and upper intake boot. Did not realize I was supposed to keep that part. Also buying power steering fluid for the power steering instead of ATF fluid. So now I have two liters of power steering fluid that I'm not sure what to do with.

Had a moment of trepidation several days ago when fuel started spilling out of the injectors. Turns out the injectors were not fully seated in the fuel rail. I should have sensed something was wrong when I had trouble installing the engine cover.

I could not have done this project without the help of many E46 members and also without the many great videos posted on line. Thank you all and I will do my best to reciprocate in the future.

Now for the interior...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	675801  
jeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #40638
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
I'm at 81 miles and at nearly half a tank. Am I breaking some record? I put a fuel additive in but no different from any other tank. Seems to be going considerably quick....
OBC states an average speed of 20.6 MPH

|

BMWCCA GGC: 530872
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #40639
Neonnblack

Quote:
closeups where they bolt to the roof? like what fastener did you use. does it scratch it? whats protecting it? just curious
Sorry for the dark picture. Just an m6 cap screw. And it's very very close all around but no scratching.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #40640
Neonnblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
I'm at 81 miles and at nearly half a tank. Am I breaking some record? I put a fuel additive in but no different from any other tank. Seems to be going considerably quick....
OBC states an average speed of 20.6 MPH

seems like it's using a ton. I typically get 250miles a tank 80 city 20 highway. 350 a tank on road trips.