DAILY E46 MOD/REPAIR UPDATES - What have you done? - Page 2031 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2005 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #40601
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby13 View Post
I'd rather show up in a plain silver wheel rather than some gun metal painted wheel that always look like it's covered in brake dust.
They are definitely best in silver. Dark/black is overplayed. plus i'm sure your brakes stay just that much cooler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #40602
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Year: 2002
Transmission: ZF 5AT
Oil change after 7,500mi today with Liqui-Moly 5w-40, along with oil/air filter and belt service - wish I could've gotten the change done sooner, but I've been way too busy in between moving and whatnot to get it done myself.

Desert made the filter really gross after only 10,000mi, old vs new:

Belts looked like they could've failed at any moment

Also tested all the pulleys, all seem to spin normally and have appropriate resistance. Bonus was I got to see some cooling system parts, all of which had roundels stamped on them and Behr radiator is dated to 2013. Gives me a little comfort that cooling system work was taken care of by the PO.

2002 BMW 330Ci 5AT
Quote:
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.

Last edited by hodgkinsc330ci; 08-16-2017 at 07:08 PM.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:53 AM   #40603
Neonnblack

My Ride: '03 330XI
Needed a roof rack for camping this weekend so I tossed this together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using E46Fanatics mobile app
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 AM   #40604
Neonnblack

My Ride: '03 330XI
Needed a roof rack for camping this weekend so I tossed this together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using E46Fanatics mobile app
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:17 AM   #40605
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
DAILY E46 MOD/REPAIR UPDATES - What have you done?

Having an angel eye conundrum which is furthering my belief that maybe they just donít belong in my car.

Upgraded from CCFL (right) to cotton LED (left). Iím not interested in having them as DRLs. So instead they are wired direct to my side light bulb holders.

They work great, but one of my indicators was on constantly. Obviously the angel eyes are not drawing enough power and the car is doing its thing.

Hereís where it gets weird...

I unplug the angel eye and put my factory sidelight bulb back in to the bulb holder. The indicator is still illuminated. Why?

To get around this, Iíve got the angel eye and the OEM sidelight running off the bulb holder. That draws more power and the indicator is no longer on. So itís fixed. But itís not ideal.

Why would this only happen on one side of the car, and why when I switch back to the OEM bulb does the indicator still stay illuminated?

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 118k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

|
|
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 08-17-2017 at 04:19 AM.
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:59 AM   #40606
Brian22601

My Ride: 323ci,325i,325i-Mspt
Ordered two new keys from eBay, had a local locksmith cut them. Spent some time with PA Soft and reading threads in here to find out PA Soft doesn't have the capability to activate the new. I am new with PA Soft and when I saw all the options for the EWS I assumed it would activate a new key to work in the ignition, NOT.

So I ordered an AK-90 after finding threads in here -- now I am waiting on that boat from China....
Brian22601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:00 AM   #40607
Brian22601

Ordered two new keys from eBay, had a local locksmith cut them. Spent some time with PA Soft and reading threads in here to find out PA Soft doesn't have the capability to activate the new. I am new with PA Soft and when I saw all the options for the EWS I assumed it would activate a new key to work in the ignition, NOT.

So I ordered an AK-90 after finding threads in here -- now I am waiting on that boat from China....

Last edited by Brian22601; 08-17-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #40608
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
Oil change after 7,500mi today with Liqui-Moly 5w-40, along with oil/air filter and belt service - wish I could've gotten the change done sooner, but I've been way too busy in between moving and whatnot to get it done myself.

Desert made the filter really gross after only 10,000mi, old vs new:

Belts looked like they could've failed at any moment

Also tested all the pulleys, all seem to spin normally and have appropriate resistance. Bonus was I got to see some cooling system parts, all of which had roundels stamped on them and Behr radiator is dated to 2013. Gives me a little comfort that cooling system work was taken care of by the PO.

My alt belt was good. My ac belt was as bad as your best one. Then I noticed the ac pulley had the resistance of outer space. I was wondering what that whine was, LOL.

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 Z125 PRO
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica

Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #40609
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 330iT
In preparation of a full rear end bushing refresh, and 330 brake swap... started cleaning up parts.
Sandblasted the rear trailing arm bracket and gave it a lick of paint. Eventually the control arms, trailing arms and subframe will get the same treatment.. in baby blue or keylime.
...no one will ever see my suspension bits but me...
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #40610
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
Year: 2004
Model: 330cic
Transmission: auto
I finally got my airbags replaced at the dealership today. Took about 1 hr 45 minutes and they washed the car (whish they hadn't, now I have to wash it again to get rid of the spots). They also put the top up to wash the car so I had to drive home with the top up because I didn't want to store the top wet.

Courtesy vehicle inspection report said "no additional repairs needed at this time".
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #40611
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
Year: 2004
Model: 330cic
Transmission: auto
I finally got my airbags replaced at the dealership today. Took about 1 hr 45 minutes and they washed the car (wish they hadn't, now I have to wash it again to get rid of the spots). They also put the top up to wash the car so I had to drive home with the top up because I didn't want to store the top wet.

Courtesy vehicle inspection report said "no additional repairs needed at this time".

Last edited by Max'd out; 08-17-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #40612
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 330iT
New Guibo, polyurethane transmission mounts and fuel filter.
Outside chance the new filter will help with my unpredictable power delivery...

And, started to replace the rear shocks. A very involved process on a touring. Made some custom tower plates with studs so I'll never have to take apart the interior again.
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #40613
bendoscopy

My lock pin fell into the door cavity a couple of months ago. Finally decided to find it. Presumed it would be a five minute job. Of course, it took way longer.

Every time I put the door card back on, and secured all the clips/screws, the pin fell inside the door again. Third attempt, I just did it from the outside, shining a light through the tiny grommet hole and peering into the larger hole.

|
|
| drive tastefully
Old 08-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #40614
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post

They work great, but one of my indicators was on constantly. Obviously the angel eyes are not drawing enough power and the car is doing its thing.

Hereís where it gets weird...

I unplug the angel eye and put my factory sidelight bulb back in to the bulb holder. The indicator is still illuminated. Why?

To get around this, Iíve got the angel eye and the OEM sidelight running off the bulb holder. That draws more power and the indicator is no longer on. So itís fixed. But itís not ideal.

Why would this only happen on one side of the car, and why when I switch back to the OEM bulb does the indicator still stay illuminated?
Are you aware if you turn off the car, with the blinker (side signal) activated, the signal light remains on (not blinking). Drove me bonkers the first time it happened, after owning the car for 3 years.
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #40615
bendoscopy

DAILY E46 MOD/REPAIR UPDATES - What have you done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADF15H View Post
Are you aware if you turn off the car, with the blinker (side signal) activated, the signal light remains on (not blinking). Drove me bonkers the first time it happened, after owning the car for 3 years.

Hahah, yeah. I did think it was that for a while, but I double-checked. Iíve never met anyone who uses parking lights!

This issue kinda resolved itself... I got the same bulb error on the other sidelight a day later. Guess it just took a while for it to register.

|
|
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 08-20-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #40616
Brian22601

Four new tires mounted, balanced, and installed today. The tires that were on it when we bought it last month had great tread, but all four were cupped for the first inch or so on the inside tread of all the tires. The front tires were cupped slightly more than the rear tires. Old tires were 225/50/r16 and we just bought four new 205/55/r16. Have to get it into the shop soon for an alignment. Not sure what made them cup. Struts look good with no leaking, so perhaps the alignment shop can shed some light on the reason behind the cupping.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #40617
Kpriest

My Ride: 325i
Year: 2005
Transmission: Auto
Just changed the transmission fluid and filter along with a new pan gasket on my GM trans. Old fluid was dark after 100k miles and the pan gasket was seeping but the magnet was surprisingly clean. Had the normal metallic paste but no shavings or metal bits in the pan.

I used Redline D4 ATF and the tranny is shifting much smoother. I didn't have issues before but I notice how much better it is after. The spotless clean trans pan with new bolts really makes me smile looking at the underside of the car now. It's the little things.
Kpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #40618
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADF15H View Post
Pretty neat feature... i guess they say its for european streets where space is limited and you want to warn people driving down the street that you are exiting your car or getting into it.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 08-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #40619
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Pretty neat feature... i guess they say its for european streets where space is limited and you want to warn people driving down the street that you are exiting your car or getting into it.
Back when I discovered this, I was told its so you can park your car overnight and people will be able to see your car and therefore less likely to hit it. Either way, yes nice feature! Too bad I lost it after changing LCM's
|

BMWCCA GGC: 530872
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #40620
Mango

^maybe. i don't know though... that can't be good for the battery especially with power hungry filament bulbs. also things like trees, trash cans dont have lights. i'd rather alert someone to my body getting out of the car vs the car just sitting there. that's what insurance is for.

|
|
|

-
-