Yellow plastic tip on the end of the AC hoses - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
damon forrer

My Ride: 16 Miata & 05 Xterra
Yellow plastic tip on the end of the AC hoses

I have just had my compressor to condenser hose extened to work on my LS swap. One of the guys at work TIG welded a pipe sleeve into the metal part of the hose to extend it 3" for me.
In the process he melted off the little yellow plastic end that is just before the O-ring.

Do you think the yellow plastic tip is necessary? The best we can figure is that is there to retain the O-ring when the hose is removed. The o-ring creates the seal so do you think I need the yellow plastic tip, and if so why?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC hose.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	793357  
damon forrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
I suspect that's just there to protect the finish...maybe hold the o-ring. Have you looked at realoem...or online at fcp to see if there's a pic. I think all ac hoses have a green o-ring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by damon forrer View Post
I have just had my compressor to condenser hose extened to work on my LS swap. One of the guys at work TIG welded a pipe sleeve into the metal part of the hose to extend it 3" for me.
In the process he melted off the little yellow plastic end that is just before the O-ring.

Do you think the yellow plastic tip is necessary? The best we can figure is that is there to retain the O-ring when the hose is removed. The o-ring creates the seal so do you think I need the yellow plastic tip, and if so why?
That's a locator so the o-ring is compressed evenly as you crank down the securing bolt (which inevitably applies a force to the o-ring against the wall towards the clockwise rotation.

I think I still have one from my last AC hose repair. I'll put it in the mail if it's that important to you but I imagine you can fashion one pretty easily.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
damon forrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
That's a locator so the o-ring is compressed evenly as you crank down the securing bolt (which inevitably applies a force to the o-ring against the wall towards the clockwise rotation.

I think I still have one from my last AC hose repair. I'll put it in the mail if it's that important to you but I imagine you can fashion one pretty easily.
If you happen to have the one that goes on the compressor end of the compressor to condenser hose I would be happy to pay you for it. The hoses all seem to have different sized ends on them.

I don't know how I would make one. Are they able to be removed and re-used on another hose?
Old 02-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
damon forrer

Just a quick follow up to let you guys know I picked up a used hose at you-pull-and-pay and pay. I was able to gently coax the yellow plastic tip off with a flat screwdriver and re-use it on my modified hose.
No further reason for concern.