Coolant System overhaul questions - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
mjbrox

My Ride: 325CI Convertible
Coolant System overhaul questions

im not the best mechanic in the world and I drink beer when I wrench, so anyway...

I dropped one of the bolts for the tstat housing and I cant find it. The dealer does not have it in stock. I want to buy one today. is there a spec on the bolt so I can go to napa or something like that?

this is the part number
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=11531740317

Also, do these bolts need antiseeze?

Oh, when I put this crap back together, what kind of grease should I use on the hoses?
mjbrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
mjbrox

okay, the other issue I am running into is the expansion tank mounting bracket. There is a male piece on the bracket that goes into a female piece on the radiator. But I has no o ring or anything like that. what is that? What is it for? Is this just for automatics? Mine is a manual.

Seems like it is going to leak, but maybe thats where it drains? I am so confused
Old 11-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #3
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Where did the bolt fall? On the engine somewhere, or on the floor? If on the engine, I'd make a more concerted effort to find it; if it shakes loose at an inopportune time it could easily wreck something.

I put a small dab of grease on the tips of the bolts.

No grease on the hose connections. A bit of coolant on the o-rings if you must.

If memory serves, yes, the mounting bracket element you mention confused me a bit as well. I believe it is, as you say, for the autos. If you study the galleries molded into the parts you'll see there's no risk of leakage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
mjbrox

i looked and looked. I just cant find the damn thing.

Im like you though, I am worried it could cause damage. Maybe Ill go look without beer.....
Old 11-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
assifitness

My Ride: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbrox View Post
i looked and looked. I just cant find the damn thing.

Im like you though, I am worried it could cause damage. Maybe Ill go look without beer.....
What kind of beer
assifitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
mjbrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by assifitness View Post
What kind of beer
http://skabrewing.com/brews/modus-hoperandi-ipa/
Old 11-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
Spannerhead

Shop light and magnetic wand? Is the belly pan still on? Did you hear it hit the floor?

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Old 11-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
mjbrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Shop light and magnetic wand? Is the belly pan still on? Did you hear it hit the floor?

I heard it hit metal

not the floor. I guess Ill just have to keep looking.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #9
mjbrox

Should I use anti seize on tstat bolts?
Old 11-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #10
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbrox View Post
Should I use anti seize on tstat bolts?
Not sure even the Co Winter would make this necessary.
These are low torque bolts, easy to remove...
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #11
mjbrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
Not sure even the Co Winter would make this necessary.
These are low torque bolts, easy to remove...

Okay. I had some seize on my Rover that resulted in replacing the intake manifold.

Then my Benz specifically said not to
Old 11-01-2017, 10:23 PM   #12
pgib8

My Ride: e46
for the bolt, check around the belt tensioner near the AC compressor. i've had one slip in there once and took a while to find.
Last edited by pgib8; Tomorrow at 33:46 AM.

Kraftfahrzeughaftpflichtversicherung = car insurance

Quote:
agreed. Pgib8 is an illiterate.
pgib8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:59 AM   #13
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
OP, go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car’s VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to the engine section icon and click on it. Scroll down to the waterpump / thermostat link and click on it. You’ll find the bolts for the both the pump and the thermostat. You’ll be able to see the specs for each bolt. Go to Home Depot and buy what you need.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #14
mjbrox

Napa had a bolt. Everything is back together.

I'll bleed the system tonight
Old 11-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #15
mjbrox

So. if filled the coolant per instructions. But a couple of notes

The floating dipstick thing was at the top even when I only had a gallon in there. Can someone explain that pos to me?

The bottom of my reservoir was leaking where it met the mounting bracket. It was leaking before I even turned the car on. It was not a large leak so I ran the vehicle anyway. Once up to temperature I put all my weight on top of it and try to make sure it sealed better. This morning there is no fluid under the car.

Oh the floating dipstick thing is still at the top.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #16
Spannerhead

Air. You need to bleed the system properly:

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Old 11-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #17
mjbrox

Okay so I stopped filling as soon as fluid cane out of the bleeder.

So now what? Should I just use the baster to remove some and call it a day?

If I have to bleed more out, can I just use di water? I'm out of coolant.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #18
Spannerhead

Did you watch the video? You have to keep filling as fluid continues to come out the bleeder screw. You stop when the bubbles stop.

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Old 11-03-2017, 08:30 AM   #19
mjbrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Did you watch the video? You have to keep filling as fluid continues to come out the bleeder screw. You stop when the bubbles stop.
I understand now.

But now that I've run the car to temp. Do I do the same thing?

I am so confused why you don't fill while it's running. Every other car I've done you fill while running

Also, if I have to add coolant, will water be okay? I currently have a 50/50 mix but I don't want to buy more coolant

Last edited by mjbrox; 11-03-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #20
Spannerhead

I wouldn't fill it with straight water, but YMMV.

Is the car parked on a slant with the nose higher? That's important.

The procedure might seem odd, but I and many others have used it many times with excellent results. Never had an issue.

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•