Cabinet Painting - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #21
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
^ Those cabinets aren't bad at all, If you're not changing the layout of the kitchen I'd do the same thing and paint them. We changed the layout and our cabinets were sh1tty ones that looked like (because they were) straight out of the 80's with gold hardware and all.

I'm glad you're spraying though, painting that sort of thing with a brush is an exercise in futility. Just make sure you degrease the sh1t (simplegreen works great) out of the ones close to the cook top and sand till your hands go numb. An oscillating multi tool with a sanding head is a godsend for projects like this. If you don't have one, buy one and thank me later.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #22
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
Yeah that TSP cleaner should take care of the grease very nicely.

The cabinets themselves are a decent style (pretty neutral) it's just the color is not great. I have that Ryobi mouse style sander and I think I'm going to get the Bauer RO sander from Harbor Freight or the equivalent Ryobi. Sanding blows but that's where so much of your final result comes in.

The decision to spray initially came from a desire to save time and also improve the finish. But the more I dove into this, the more my process escalated and I realized it's really the only way to do it right. I went from being pretty set on using that Behr Alkyd product (spray doors and roll boxes) to reading more about how it's hard to spray consistently and then finding out none of the consumer grade paints (including the highly touted BM Advanced ****) are really that durable and they take forever to cure. People are painting their tiny kitchens in a weekend and then selling the house a year later. They post their DIY finished result after zero wear and tear and declare the products amazing. They don't give a **** and they don't post that their lovely reno actually ended up chipping and sucking. So I found some painter forums and read some threads and found out about these pretty cool waterborne lacquers that commercial cabinet makers use.

It's also why I'm doing this thread so other people can see what I've done and see if it's suitable for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-09-2019 at 12:30 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #23
SamDoe1

Remember that you don't need to sand down to bare wood, just need to scuff the surface for the primer and remove any debris. The mouse one will probably be fine, the multi tool just works awesome because it's a tiny head that can fit in anywhere.

Whatever sander you do get, hook up a shop vac while you're using it otherwise dust will go EVERYWHERE. My life changed the minute I hooked a vac up to my sander and I sand a LOT. Also, your sandpaper lasts longer if you use a vac.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #24
WDE46

I learned the dust extraction thing when I sanded my drywall after scraping the popcorn. I use my Rigid vac with the dust filter and the dust bags generally. Definitely will get the sander hooked up to the vacuum. I'll also probably keep my cheapo HEPA filter running nearby and just plan on getting a couple extra filters for that. I don't care if it dies. It's old now. I will tent each section as I work on them as tight as I can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-09-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #25
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post

There's a lot to balance. We have a trip to Key West to pay for over Thanksgiving. We want to go to Europe next year. I may need a new HVAC installation (furnace and AC components). I want to put in Low-e windows inserts to replace the shitty glass in the house. I want to insulate the attic to like R-30 or so (whatever is double my current). I want to redo the master bath shower situation.

Lots to consider.
Just something to consider:

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #26
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
My attic has an insane amount of blown insulation...I'm talking like 30" deep. Previous owner was nuts about that stuff....he had the house built with 2x10s so that he could fit extra insulation on the exterior walls, haha.

SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #27
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
My attic has an insane amount of blown insulation...I'm talking like 30" deep. Previous owner was nuts about that stuff....he had the house built with 2x10s so that he could fit extra insulation on the exterior walls, haha.
Isn't there a point when there's too much insulation and doesn't all the house to breathe anymore?
Old 10-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #28
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Isn't there a point when there's too much insulation and doesn't all the house to breathe anymore?

If you cover up the soffit vents then that would be bad. There are definitely diminishing returns for insulation. The minimum required in Alabama is pretty ****. Itís half of what you northern people get and we need it just as bad. Yeah the winters arenít as cold but insulation really cuts the AC bill in the summer. Most of my roof area is west angled and it gets stupid hot in the attic. The roof passes heat through radiation to my ceiling joists and heats the house up. So I am going to bury everything in another foot or so of insulation eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Old 10-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #29
SLVR JDM

Quote:
yes, and I haven't seen if it is covering the soffits...mostly because I'm not sure if it worth it to try to get over there and wade through to check it out.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #30
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
yes, and I haven't seen if it is covering the soffits...mostly because I'm not sure if it worth it to try to get over there and wade through to check it out.
Find a soffit close to the ground and pull it off from underneath. Should be able to tell pretty fast lol.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #31
WDE46

If itís piled real high then you should have little baffles that keep the insulation back.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #32
WDE46

Bought the Earlex HV5500. Got a good deal on a lightly used one for $100 less than new.

Thatís a first step. Kind of just waiting to go to KW and get back and work on this before Xmas. Travelled twice for work recently too so no housework this winter so far. That and the WJ kept me from doing any cabinet prep!

Old 11-17-2019, 10:46 PM   #33
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
I guess I'll me the minority here. I think painted cabinetry looks cheap, and gets old FAST, especially white cabinets. Great looking on brochures and selling houses, but makes the kitchen feel like a lab. I never liked them...not to mention, they usually look dirty (and suck for resale unless new.) I have similar cabinets to yours, although mine are maple so they are lighter and even toned. I think what dates yours is the hardware. Is it the color you dislike? Maybe a nice dark stain to make them walnut or a dark cherry would give you the new look youre after? As is, your kitchen appears to be warm, which is nice and never goes out of style. An updated backsplash with some hardware is where I'd start before going ham on cabinets that seem fairly nice.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-17-2019 at 10:47 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #34
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I guess I'll me the minority here. I think painted cabinetry looks cheap, and gets old FAST, especially white cabinets. Great looking on brochures and selling houses, but makes the kitchen feel like a lab. I never liked them...not to mention, they usually look dirty (and suck for resale unless new.) I have similar cabinets to yours, although mine are maple so they are lighter and even toned. I think what dates yours is the hardware. Is it the color you dislike? Maybe a nice dark stain to make them walnut or a dark cherry would give you the new look youre after? As is, your kitchen appears to be warm, which is nice and never goes out of style. An updated backsplash with some hardware is where I'd start before going ham on cabinets that seem fairly nice.
Re-staining finished cabinets is an exercise in futility. It'll never look nice.

Painted cabinets are "in" right now. A lot of the high end homes you come across have painted cabinets. Reason is that it looks a lot nicer for the price. Good hardwood lumber is expensive to procure, finish, and get to look perfect especially for the volume of lumber required to make cabinets. Additionally, the traditionally plywood sides and backs of cabinets never match the hardwood face frames because of different veneers. This is why painted finishes are so desirable right now. That said, there's a difference in paint quality depending on how much you spend as is typical with everything these days.

I do agree that new hardware and backsplash would do wonders for that kitchen.

tl;dr: Hardwood cabinets are incredibly hard and expensive to look nice. Painted requires a lot less effort and still looks good.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-18-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #35
WDE46

Quote:
I don't think you're in the minority. Wood finishes are definitely more timeless than a paint color. You're right there. I would prefer a stain if possible, but the effort required to get everything stripped to that level would be monumental for this kitchen. And the grain pattern on the wood isn't that great anyway. That particular cabinet has a nice grain but some of the others look pretty silly. They're not very nice cabinets. They aren't utter shite but they're not some top of the line cabinet. This is a pretty cheap house. So I think a high quality paint is the best bet for me. It won't look dated in 5 years. 10 years? Probably? 15? Definitely, but I won't be living here still most likely, and if I am, I'll be making a lot more and I'll just redo the whole thing.

I'm still going to go near white with them (not perfectly white). The point of using a really high quality product for the finish is to help them stay that way for years. These OEM finishes are durable and highly cleanable and don't yellow. Paired with a soapstone countertop and a new backsplash, I think the kitchen update will be bangin'

Last edited by WDE46; 11-18-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #36
SLVR JDM

Yep, I think your plan will hold you solid for at least a decade or more. I'm coming into the home stretch of our remodel (counters/appliances this week), so once this is done, I'm not doing it again for 20 years. I'll be in my house a long time unless something completely unforeseen happens.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #37
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Re-staining finished cabinets is an exercise in futility. It'll never look nice.

Painted cabinets are "in" right now. A lot of the high end homes you come across have painted cabinets. Reason is that it looks a lot nicer for the price. Good hardwood lumber is expensive to procure, finish, and get to look perfect especially for the volume of lumber required to make cabinets. Additionally, the traditionally plywood sides and backs of cabinets never match the hardwood face frames because of different veneers. This is why painted finishes are so desirable right now. That said, there's a difference in paint quality depending on how much you spend as is typical with everything these days.

I do agree that new hardware and backsplash would do wonders for that kitchen.

tl;dr: Hardwood cabinets are incredibly hard and expensive to look nice. Painted requires a lot less effort and still looks good.
I can agree with some of this, with one caveat...new factory painted cabinets are not the same as home made painted cabinets. . All the home versions I've seen have been sh!t. Having said that, WDE probably has a little more skill than the average homeowner, so hopefully he will get the result he will the result he wants.

WDE, are you sure that off the shelf new white cabinets are expensive? Ive seen quite a few, full kitchen for a couple of grand.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-18-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #38
SamDoe1

I have full faith in WD based on how much research he posted in here. Doesn't seem like he's the typical homeowner with a jar of low end Behr paint and a foam brush lol.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #39
NFRs2000nyc

I guess like all things paint, it's all in the prep.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #40
WDE46

Quote:
I can agree with some of this, with one caveat...new factory painted cabinets are not the same as home made painted cabinets. . All the home versions I've seen have been sh!t. Having said that, WDE probably has a little more skill than the average homeowner, so hopefully he will get the result he will the result he wants.

WDE, are you sure that off the shelf new white cabinets are expensive? Ive seen quite a few, full kitchen for a couple of grand.
I'd say my house has well over double the cabinet space compared to the average similarly sized house. I think I have 45' of countertop and top and bottom cabinets on all but 4' of that. It really blows up the budget. I had a guy quote professional refinishing at $7000 lmao. I played around with IKEA's online tool and the price went up really fast. I suppose I could get a quote for some new cabinets, but if I get new cabinets, I'll want to go into a deeper remodel and it increases the budget a lot. Plus, I can do this piecemeal. I can do cabinets this winter and counters later next year.

Quote:
I have full faith in WD based on how much research he posted in here. Doesn't seem like he's the typical homeowner with a jar of low end Behr paint and a foam brush lol.
Quote:
I guess like all things paint, it's all in the prep.
For sure. Prep is absolutely key. The proper techniques and products won't help with crappy prep, but it takes a whole system to make as close to an OE finish as possible. So I looked at some cabinet forums and found what products they all touted as great to work with (good results and no call backs from customers) and what techniques they used to refinish or even paint brand new cabinets. The general consensus was sanding to an even ~220 finish, using a top quality primer (BIN Shellac primer is praised all over), sand if necessary, then use an HVLP with a high quality finishing coat product (mentioned previously).

Last edited by WDE46; 11-18-2019 at 03:19 PM.