The Vaping Lung Disease - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
MachRc
When Keepin' it real goes..

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
The Vaping Lung Disease

Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with E-Cigarette Use, or Vaping

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_in...g-disease.html

Quote:
What we know

There are 530* cases of lung injury reported from 38 states and 1 U.S. territory. Seven deaths have been confirmed in 6 states.

CDC has received complete sex and age data on 373 of 530 cases.
Nearly three fourths (72%) of cases are male
Two thirds (67%) of cases are 18 to 34 years old
16% of cases are under 18 years and 17% are 35 years or older

All reported cases have a history of e-cigarette product use or vaping.
Based on initial data from certain states we know: Most patients have reported a history of using e-cigarette products containing THC. Many patients have reported using THC and nicotine. Some have reported the use of e-cigarette products containing only nicotine.

What we donít know

We do not yet know the specific cause of these lung injuries. The investigation has not identified any specific e-cigarette or vaping product (devices, liquids, refill pods, and/or cartridges) or substance that is linked to all cases.

Curious to see what causes these issues

vitamin E coating your lungs?
is it beacuse people are smoking the wick?
bad batches of homemade THC cartridges/ knock offs

all of the above

its quite interesting that not even a year ago Phillip Morris buys Juul for like 13 billion dollars, and now its dealing with bans around the world. And banning of flavors tied to electronic cigarettes pretty much overnight.

Mechanical mods and stuff have been around for YEARS
I am quite interested in what is causing these deaths and if it is prolonged use of vaporizers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When I found you, that's when I hold tight. You're like my north star on a black night. It's true, no limit to what we could do..
We could be kings.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
MachRc

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/996756...olidified-oil/

Quote:
This shocking scan of 19-year-old Anthony Mayo's lungs show them congested with solidified vape oil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When I found you, that's when I hold tight. You're like my north star on a black night. It's true, no limit to what we could do..
We could be kings.."
Old 09-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Kjdad

My Ride: 1999 323i
IDK but vaping is rampant in my kids school. Like bad, it's easier to hide compared to regular smokes. Kids vape during class by putting the e cig up their sleeve and blow the vapor into their sleeve.

The school is so strict that if my son gets caught even holding one..even for a friend he missing a week of soccer..second offense..missing the season..third..banned from sports for the rest of high school.

Last edited by Kjdad; 09-20-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Kjdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
Stankia

My Ride: Germans
It's the counterfeit cartridges with weed in them that are causing the problems. People are over-reacting.

Stankia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
MachRc

I have a feeling it IS fake carts

https://dabconnection.com/oil-pen-tests/

here are the lab tests for the popular ones

We could be kings.."
Old 09-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
wild willy

My Ride: Cars
KIds these days are fkn stupid...if they are not vaping they are eating tide pods.......
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
It's the counterfeit cartridges with weed in them that are causing the problems. People are over-reacting.
I've heard this is a possible source but nothing has been confirmed.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #8
allikanbe

My Ride: 2013 335is vert
Vape is short for dumbaZZ
allikanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
Stankia

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
I've heard this is a possible source but nothing has been confirmed.
Pretty sure most of the sick people admitted it. I've been mixing my own juice for years, it's just Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerin and Food grade flavoring. If this concoction did something bad we would have noticed a while ago.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 PM   #10
Bidno

My Ride: 2002 325i
Heard rumor one company's sold THC cutting agent consisting of mineral oil -- something you NEVER want in your lungs i.e. manslaughter. Have vaped almost five years since quitting cigarettes and the current histeria is absolute BS. Somebody is spending big money to drag ecig's into unrelated issue with black market dab. Most likely it's money coming from big pharma or big tobacco. If it this were about health, cigarettes would be illegal, not ecigs. This issue is being heavily spun for profits -- not public health. Watch to learn how corporate America manipulates both media and government.

Last edited by Bidno; 09-20-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Bidno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:02 AM   #11
Stankia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidno View Post
Heard rumor one company's sold THC cutting agent consisting of mineral oil -- something you NEVER want in your lungs i.e. manslaughter. Have vaped almost five years since quitting cigarettes and the current histeria is absolute BS. Somebody is spending big money to drag ecig's into unrelated issue with black market dab. Most likely it's money coming from big pharma or big tobacco. If it this were about health, cigarettes would be illegal, not ecigs. This issue is being heavily spun for profits -- not public health. Watch to learn how corporate America manipulates both media and government.
Philip Morris owns Juul. I don't think there's a grand conspiracy here, just people over-reacting. "Think of the children!", no idea why similar laws aren't passed when someone shoots up a school though...

Last edited by Stankia; 09-21-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:17 AM   #12
MachRc

Vaping thc has been a godsend for the stoner community.

I still like trees and keep a listerine in my cab

But the lowkey nature of thc vapes make them super popular

Too bad my stiizys contain benzothine

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We could be kings.."
Old 09-21-2019, 01:35 PM   #13
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Whodathunk our lungs aren't built to inhale large amounts of smoke or vapor on a regular basis, and doing so might be bad.

All those hotshots on the wilderness fire lines should quit worrying about smoke inhalation, everything out there is 100% natural...
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #14
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
You see... it's a conspiracy.

Phillip Morris started Mission Winnow, which isn't entirely clear as to what it is. Something about "investing in progress" and "looking forward to the future". There was some thought that it had something to do with vaping, then there was a lot of thought that it had something to do with cigarettes. The logo supposedly resembles a cigarette and they keep saying, "Mission Winnow has nothing to do with CIGARETTES." They keep putting "cigarettes" in your face.

Now that the name has been established and it's been advertised on Formula 1 cars, we're comfortable with it and we take it at face value. "It's a thing and that's all there is to it." Now that we've let our guard down, they've taken the opportunity to strike. They've released contaminated vape juices and THC-infused oils and juices throughout the country to stir up a giant controversy about vaping. As a result, the government has now stepped in (which Phillip Morris has been lobbying for) and is threatening to ban all flavored vape juices.

Mission Winnow's "looking to the future" is that Phillip Morris knew vaping would start dominating cigarette sales. So the push is on to wipe out (or reduce) vaping and keep people smoking cigarettes, a far more harmful method of nicotine delivery, in order to keep the world population under control.

That or people are just fucking morons for buying black market and homemade shit they don't know anything about.

SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #15
MachRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post

That or people are just fucking morons for buying black market and homemade shit they don't know anything about.

man, just saw the singapore grand prix too!

If you check out the(my closest) local dispensary
https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/k-town-vermont?page=3

its 5 pages of vapable thc products. More than half of them Ive just heard of right now.

i get stiizys( and theyre fake stiizys too)
those syringe refills go for half the price of regular pods, and I could see a combination of bad fake refill syringes and fake pods used with higher amp vape mods to deliver those hot steam of crap that clogs your lungs.

I just picked up a stiizy for my girl yesterday( nobody wants to smell like weed), I drove extra to a california licensed shop( sh^t looked the same yo with same syringe types, same skimpy dressed b'tender.. it came out 65 bucks for a damn gram of stiizy.

paying extra 15 for nothing.

We could be kings.."
Old 09-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #16
Stankia

Mission Winnow is all about this :

https://www.pmi.com/smoke-free-produ...heating-system

Very popular in Europe, not yet available in the US.

Last edited by Stankia; 09-23-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #17
trizzuth

My Ride: Best M5 ever made
Well, consider this:

You can vape via a pen with some liquid substrate in there, and you might know what it is if it says and is bought from a real shop, or you get something off the black market and have no idea what it is even though the packaging might look legit.

However, you can vape straight concentrate in a pen, or via a dab. The concentrate is either chemically extracted using substances like butane (which, if done properly, should no longer be there in the final concentrate product, but this all depends on how thorough the supplier is to evacuate all leftover butane), or you can get a totally non-chemical extract that is done by applying a low heat like 200 degrees and a press, which basically heats and squeezes the THC crystals out and it turns into rosin. The latter is likely the safest method to use outside of smoking the plant, as there is no introduction of chemicals after the fact, only a possible introduction of chemicals BEFORE the fact in the fertilizer or pesticides that could potentially be used. All flower sold in shops should be tested in a lab for these contaminants, so you may get confidence from that.

Otherwise, grow your own, then only YOU know what's in it. Time will tell what is clogging lungs and killing people, but my bet is on the black market liquid type vapes that include both THC and Nicotine vapes.

2003 BMW E39 M5 - Current!
2001 BMW 330i - Totaled at 236K :(
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K

trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #18
Bidno

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Philip Morris owns Juul. I don't think there's a grand conspiracy here, just people over-reacting. "Think of the children!", no idea why similar laws aren't passed when someone shoots up a school though...
Could be but I am not buying. I follow this stuff closely and no one should be nieve about the reality of modern day capitalism in the US. When there is money to be made, smalll details like human health and life bear little consequence. Examples: opioid profiteering, big oilís financing of climate change denial, surveillance capitalism, big techís scam to import a foreign workforce, the NRAís blocking background checks, amnesty for bank and Wall Street crimes, etc. The true agenda is clear when one recognizes that ecig sales, already illegal to teens, are now being blocked for adults while tobacco cigarette sales continue unabated.
Bidno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #19
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
Quote:
What's a counterfeit cartridge? Nothing surrounding vaping feels very "official." They're all little startup companies.

Quote:
Cigarettes/tobacco are extremely tightly regulated. Flavored cigs were banned a long time ago. Even cloves are banned. Advertising is basically banned except a few forms. The tobacco companies have to run massive stop smoking campaigns.

Last edited by WDE46; 09-25-2019 at 04:47 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #20
Stankia

Quote:
Could be but I am not buying. I follow this stuff closely and no one should be nieve about the reality of modern day capitalism in the US. When there is money to be made, smalll details like human health and life bear little consequence. Examples: opioid profiteering, big oilís financing of climate change denial, surveillance capitalism, big techís scam to import a foreign workforce, the NRAís blocking background checks, amnesty for bank and Wall Street crimes, etc. The true agenda is clear when one recognizes that ecig sales, already illegal to teens, are now being blocked for adults while tobacco cigarette sales continue unabated.
Normally I would agree but there's just no financial reason for tobacco companies to replace vapes since they know that the youths aren't keen to the old cancer sticks. Tobacco companies aren't stupid, that's why they started acquiring vape companies. They would be shooting themselves in the foot by lobbying to ban vapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
What's a counterfeit cartridge? Nothing surrounding vaping feels very "official." They're all little startup companies.
Um not exactly anymore. Altria/Philip Morris bought Juul for $12.8B for a 35% stake. The cartridges are expensive so I'm not surprised that teenagers get them at the black market especially if they have weed in them. It's no different than buying moonshine from a questionable source.