The Permanent M54 CCV Delete - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #61
The_AK

My Ride: e90 330i 6MT
Vlad, any updates on this? Hows the car been running since this swap?
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #62
1stoutm5

My Ride: 2004 M3
Hate to bump an old thread but would this work on a 04 ZHP??
1stoutm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #63
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I don't see why it wouldn't, I'm really thinking seriously about this.

I wonder if there would be a conflict of any kind running the built in CCV in the M56 valve cover behind another PCV valve.... the ESS TS kits have a PCV valve in the ESS manifold....hmmm

Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wheelwell:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fuelly:
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #64
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: goes choo choo
Year: 2004
Model: 330Cic ZHP
Transmission: AT->5MT->6MT
Status Update:

My catch can finally took out my VCG. Was driving down the road and saw smoke billowing behind me. Complete failure. Nursed it home and it currently sits in my garage completely torn down just waiting for the new gasket to come in the mail.

Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
Instagram: @CarbonZHP
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #65
rkneeshaw

How did the catch can take out the VCG? Did it freeze or something?

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 01-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #66
VladBelsky

My Ride: E46 roadster/E85 Z4
Year: 2003
Model: 3.0i
Transmission: 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Vlad, any updates on this? Hows the car been running since this swap?
Car is currently put away for the winter, but was running great; no issues.
VladBelsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #67
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stoutm5 View Post
Hate to bump an old thread but would this work on a 04 ZHP??

Yes. The engine design is the same on all M54B30 engines.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #68
HakenTT

My Ride: 2002 330i
Job of CCV is to separate oil from going intake manifold and depositing in the intake runners and the valves. Deleting CCV is not smart.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #69
VladBelsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
Job of CCV is to separate oil from going intake manifold and depositing in the intake runners and the valves. Deleting CCV is not smart.
There's still a CCV with this; it's just built into the valve cover.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #70
Podozpbking

My Ride: Bmw 325xi, z4 (e86)
Year: 2001
Model: 325xi Sport Wagon
Transmission: 5-Speed
Thinking of adding this to the list of DIYs for my 330ci build. Love the idea. Replaced the CCV for my 325xi two years ago, no fun.
Podozpbking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #71
markusmarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post

The oil catch can does the job much better than the CCV. My theory is that the CCV was designed by an engineer fired by Audi! In reality the CCV design is poor.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #72
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
The oil catch can does the job much better than the CCV. My theory is that the CCV was designed by an engineer fired by Audi! In reality the CCV design is poor.
Except it doesnt drain back into the oil pan, you have to keep emptying the can.

What is poor about the CCV design?

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 02-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #73
markusmarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Except it doesnt drain back into the oil pan, you have to keep emptying the can.

What is poor about the CCV design?

The problem with the CCV is that it doesn't provide adequate and consistent vacuum. The design is poor. Yes, an oil catch can doesn't return "oil" back into the sump. But, if you've ever seen the stuff that accumulates in an oil catch can you wouldn't want it in your engine anyway. My oil catch can is in the drug bin. Easy access for me.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #74
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
For anyone interested, here's what the underside of the M56 valve cover looks like. First, a closeup from above of the cap to the integrated CCV. Interestingly, I looked in TIS to see if there were any instructions on when/how to clean it, but didn't find anything. Maybe there was a BMW technical bulletin on it? The other two pictures are of the underside. It looks like the CCV portion covers the entire underside. Also a shot of what is under the cap in the first picture with the vent outlet that connects via a hose to the intake manifold.
Thank you for posting these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
Also pictures without the plates?
See what is really inside.
Think it's service free because it's not easy to get in there.
Can anyone do this? It looks like there are just some torx screws holding on those plates, would be interested to see the "guts".

I'd love to not have to empty the oil catch can anymore....

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 02-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #75
VladBelsky

Quote:
Thank you for posting these.

Can anyone do this? It looks like there are just some torx screws holding on those plates, would be interested to see the "guts".

I'd love to not have to empty the oil catch can anymore....
These pictures are not mine; they were taken by irrogical on Bimmerforums. They show the inside of the CCV chamber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0025.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	624275   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0027.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	624276   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0022 (1).jpg
Views:	950
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	624277  

Old 02-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #76
rkneeshaw

Awesome, thank you, and while searching for one of these M56 covers I just stumbled accross this thread:

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1054058

Looks like what a catch can would do, with the walls in there like that.

With my ESS TS2 kit I have a PCV already, so I bet I could remove the spring out of the CCV in this valve cover and I'd get the proper "suction" and a built-in catch can too

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 02-15-2016, 03:35 PM   #77
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyride View Post
Which leads me to the regulator. I can see the spring in the regulator from inside the serpentine chamber. I would love to take it apart and clean it or replace it given how dirty the rest of the valve cover was, but it seem certain to be damaged if I try to pry it off.

Has anyone had any success (or even tried) to replace this:

with this:

Found at: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ve-11127547058

Obviously I don't want to try on my intact unit! Who has a "dead" valve cover this can be tried on?
Hey I was checking to see if I could remove this and replace it, but the fitment guide only mentions the 5 and 7 series cars, not the 325i, so I guess I'm curious if it would still fit or not...

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 02-15-2016, 08:25 PM   #78
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladBelsky View Post
OE M56 valve cover breather hose on (Part # 11157513756)

Hey did you happen to notice of the connector is different on this new breather hose, or did you only have to get a new one because of the length (and routing of the hose)?

I'm wondering if my M54 breather hose will connect right onto the M56 cover's "nipple" just the same or not...

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 02-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #79
PabloCruise

My Ride: 2002 325i
Year: 2002
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Hey did you happen to notice of the connector is different on this new breather hose, or did you only have to get a new one because of the length (and routing of the hose)?

I'm wondering if my M54 breather hose will connect right onto the M56 cover's "nipple" just the same or not...
Great thread! I am not sure if the CCV has ever been replaced on my 2002 325i (~128k miles)

I too am wondering about the connection to the M56 valve cover - where does this plug in?
PabloCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #80
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
I too am wondering about the connection to the M56 valve cover - where does this plug in?
Well earlier in the thread it was pointed out that there is a new shorter CCV breather hose part number that can be used to connect the nipple on the M56 valve cover to the port on the intake manifold.

But I don't have the stock intake manifold anymore because I have the ESS TS2 kit installed. It has its own hose that runs from the stock M54 valve cover to it's PCV. I'm wondering if that same hose will simply connect onto the M56 valve cover, which would mean the "nipple" would need to be the same.

Another question to ask to get the answer I need would be if anyone knows if the new shorter CCV hose has the same connector as our stock M54 CCV breather hose? It's simply a shorter breather hose?

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly: