Let windshield washer fluid mix itself in reservoar? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Gew

My Ride: ŠKODA
Let windshield washer fluid mix itself in reservoar?

Okey, not BMW specific, but generally. I live in a country where it gets very cold so you buy fluid concentrate and then you're supposed to mix it with water in a separate tank / big bottle, shake, and then pour it into the car reservoar.

My question is, how bad is it to just pour concentrate into the car reservoar, and then top it up with the desired part water?

Will it blend effectually, or will I take a considerable big risk of water not mixing, hence freezing and blowing my car reservoar when it hits those subzero Celcius degrees?
Gew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
No clue. I also live in a part of the world where it gets very cold and I've never had to mix a concentrate, they use sell it premixed. No issues when the temp dips below 32 in freedom units.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
You put it in the radiator to mix it up. Then it automatically gets pumped into the windshield waster reservoir.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Original BMW came conentrated, at least some years back. I mixed it in the gallon of distilled water, drained a bit of the water and put the concentrate in. The bmw kind was very, very flammable...
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Gew

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
You put it in the radiator to mix it up. Then it automatically gets pumped into the windshield waster reservoir.
You mean where coolant goes?
You can't be serious?
Old 11-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #6
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gew View Post
You mean where coolant goes?
You can't be serious?
The washer fluid has a different gravity than coolant and naturally floats to the top to be siphoned off to the washer holding tank.

I'm taking it you have the blue-colored concentrate. Skodas are unique in that they use a miniature mass-spectrometer to separate the fluids by color. Just be sure to not add any water to the concentrate or the wavelength analyzer will have a rough time of it.

In any event, there is the added bonus that your washer fluid will be preheated for use with both systems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #7
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
lol

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info:

S54 VANOS DIY Video:
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:21 AM   #8
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
if you pee in it hard enough, it will mix well, plus will de-ice

SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #9
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
The washer fluid has a different gravity than coolant and naturally floats to the top to be siphoned off to the washer holding tank.

I'm taking it you have the blue-colored concentrate. Skodas are unique in that they use a miniature mass-spectrometer to separate the fluids by color. Just be sure to not add any water to the concentrate or the wavelength analyzer will have a rough time of it.

In any event, there is the added bonus that your washer fluid will be preheated for use with both systems.
Yep! Beginner bimmer hack. Everybody knows this stuff.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
trizzuth

My Ride: Best M5 ever made
The simply fact that you are asking this question, almost as if it's a SH*T TON of work to put your bottle of concentrate into the jug of water and shake it PRIOR to filling your reservoir, rather than just tossing the concentrate into the reservoir and then adding the water like the fat lazy dumba$$ you obviously are, makes me not even want to reply to your dumba$$ thread.

You definitely should put it into the radiator. Once that is full, make sure you top off your brake fluid reservoir with the same fluid as well.

2003 BMW E39 M5 - Current!
2001 BMW 330i - Totaled at 236K :(
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K

trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
The simply fact that you are asking this question, almost as if it's a SH*T TON of work to put your bottle of concentrate into the jug of water and shake it PRIOR to filling your reservoir, rather than just tossing the concentrate into the reservoir and then adding the water like the fat lazy dumba$$ you obviously are, makes me not even want to reply to your dumba$$ thread.

You definitely should put it into the radiator. Once that is full, make sure you top off your brake fluid reservoir with the same fluid as well.
Don't forget the blinker fluid and headlight coolant.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Make sure you recharge your flux capacitor fully when you fill your reservoar.

bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #13
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Not nice guys, some people are just very, very beginners in auto maintenance. Throw them a bone and steer them in the right direction...
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
joeski3d

I think the reservoar be busted.Time to replace the entire BMW.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #15
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post
Not nice guys, some people are just very, very beginners in auto maintenance. Throw them a bone and steer them in the right direction...
Join date = 2004

Total Forum Posts = 58

I guess some of us who joined long ago are still just very, very beginners in auto maintenance. Either that or they're stingy with the information they possess, and fail to share it with others on the forum they are a member of.

Ironic? Or did you just forget to also offer the OP advice on his thoroughly intriguing, complex question?

Old 11-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #16
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
guys while we are on topic...what oil should i use for my 2001 330ci?
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #17
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
guys while we are on topic...what oil should i use for my 2001 330ci?
Coconut oil you god damn hipster.

bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #18
Gew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post
Actually just wanted to see if anyone actually knew if the shaking really do make all the difference!
Old 11-08-2019, 10:43 PM   #19
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Quote:
Actually just wanted to see if anyone actually knew if the shaking really do make all the difference!

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #20
trizzuth

Quote:
*That's what she said*