***The Official Jeep Thread*** - Page 33 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #641
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Which forum are you on? I've had good luck with Wranglerforum. Remember that most Jeep people are the same as the tacticool folks on gun forums. They want the most expensive bomb proof thing you can buy just to roll over a few curbs. The people who are doing some real sh1t aren't asking questions on forums lol.

I used the 3M one on my passat. I didn't bother with the UV coating beyond whatever came in the kit. For the amount of effort, I'll just sand the hazing off again in a few years.

For some reason, mid 00's Lexus headlights are notorious for hazing. Every GX/LS/LX/IS of that era I see has yellow headlights. It looks JDM AF.
Well I'm in a WJ so Wrangler forum doesn't help me find WJ suspension **** unfortunately. Whatever, I can figure out most of it anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:04 AM   #642
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback

That makes sense, I didn't connect those dots for some reason.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:07 PM   #643
lexpression

My Ride: '06 Lexus GX470
Send a message via AIM to lexpression
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Headlight restoration is really easy. The 3M one is known to be extremely good. I think it includes sandpaper and a polish compound which is needed for very dull lights. Sometimes you can just get away with compound. Unfortunately, the UV coating (really it's just a regular sealant) isn't nearly as good as a clear coat.

I do 1200 grit wet sandpaper and then Spraymax 2K Clearcoat. Sometimes you have to go down to lower grits to get everything but you must get back up to 1200 before you clear coat. This is the most permanent and best looking way. You must get a respirator rated for organic vapors to use the 2K clearcoat (it contains isocyanates). If you do it in your garage, I'd keep the door cracked with a fan blowing out. I'd also recommend you send the wife and kids out for the next few hours.

So basically your process is

1. Sand completely to 1200 grit (rinse and dry to see unsanded areas, sand different grits perpendicular to the last grit so you can see when you're done with that grit). Don't forget to protect your paint with tape or remove the headlight completely.

2. Rinse and Dry completely

3. Wipe with IPA and a lint free cloth

4. Masking tape appropriately

5. Spray first coat of 2K clear evenly. Wait the amount of time on the can before a second coat. If it sags you can sand it after a certain amount of time if needed (also on can).

6. spray at least a second coat if not a third as well.

7. Polish as needed

I thought I messed up on my E46 when the clear dried with a cracked appearance but I just sanded it out and did another light one. That one had slight orange peel so I sanded lightly with 1200 and polished that out with Meg's 105. Perfect.
Awesome, I appreciate the thorough response, confirmed what I had heard about the 3M being a good kit too.

Quote:
I used the 3M one on my passat. I didn't bother with the UV coating beyond whatever came in the kit. For the amount of effort, I'll just sand the hazing off again in a few years.

For some reason, mid 00's Lexus headlights are notorious for hazing. Every GX/LS/LX/IS of that era I see has yellow headlights. It looks JDM AF.
Yeah, I've noticed that on a lot of Lexus headlights as well. Sun really took a toll on mine (and 13 years of age), but I figured I'd give the kit a try before purchasing full replacements since I can't just bake and replace the lens. Two votes for the 3M kit, so that sounds like the winner.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #644
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexpression View Post
Awesome, I appreciate the thorough response, confirmed what I had heard about the 3M being a good kit too.

Yeah, I've noticed that on a lot of Lexus headlights as well. Sun really took a toll on mine (and 13 years of age), but I figured I'd give the kit a try before purchasing full replacements since I can't just bake and replace the lens. Two votes for the 3M kit, so that sounds like the winner.
I think this is the one. It'll definitely work. It's not worth new headlights. My BIL unfortunately replaced my WJ's lights with some crappy aftermarket stock appearance ones. They are missed the adjuster screw so I have to take the headlight out to move it.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39014-Lens...547084&sr=8-13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:21 PM   #645
lexpression

Quote:
I think this is the one. It'll definitely work. It's not worth new headlights. My BIL unfortunately replaced my WJ's lights with some crappy aftermarket stock appearance ones. They are missed the adjuster screw so I have to take the headlight out to move it.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39014-Lens...547084&sr=8-13
This is the one I was looking at, looks like it includes everything in the kit you linked plus some basic UV protection: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FQMY3Z..._t2_B006VB8JTQ
Old 11-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #646
WDE46

Saw a black lifted GX470 on my commute today haha

Old 11-04-2019, 12:56 PM   #647
lexpression

Quote:
Saw a black lifted GX470 on my commute today haha
They're becoming quite popular, market prices are starting to reflect this as well. Finally got mine out yesterday to test everything out, was very impressed by how she did:

Old 11-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #648
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Ive actually abandoned my want for the JL. With my family of 4 and the type of travel I do, I've decided (after a lot of back and forth) that the Gladiator makes much more sense. So, hopefully after the winter, I'll be ordering one. The diesel JLs start production on November 25th, and hoping the Gladiator will be Q1 or Q2 of next year. There are substantiated rumors that Jeep will release the Hercules next year, a gladiator with a 500hp twin turbo inline six as a 2021 model (so Q4 of 2020) so deciding between that and the diesel will be hard.....BUT, with the absolute castration of the diesel industry by the EPA, I will most likely abandon my quest for diesel for good.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-04-2019 at 07:09 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #649
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexpression View Post
Thanks man! Definitely plan on off roading it, hoping to break her in next weekend at Uwharrie actually. I have looked at skids, but until I have a few trips under my belt I plan on trying to avoid the heavy rocky trails if I can. It's still my daily driver, so I was trying to avoid adding too much weight as I've read the aluminum skids don't provide near the protection as steel, but you have a really good point. Saving some money and going with a Hidden Winch and skids is certainly another option, but it's going to be more of a overland rig than a dedicated trail rig.
I've amassed quite a bit of offroad trail time under my belt. Believe it or not, from my experience, including out west, most damage that would have been prevented by the skids does't come from rocks, but actually, rouge branches. I've seen quite a few transmission lines (especially on JK/JL automatics) ripped off getting snagged on fairly thin branches, which is why the first mod after tires I always recommend new owners is a set of quality skids. For the JK/JL, only the transmission skid and maybe the oil pan if you wheel hard. The gas tank skid is fantastic from OEM, and there is 0 need to replace it.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #650
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Ive actually abandoned my want for the JL. With my family of 4 and the type of travel I do, I've decided (after a lot of back and forth) that the Gladiator makes much more sense. So, hopefully after the winter, I'll be ordering one. The diesel JLs start production on November 25th, and hoping the Gladiator will be Q1 or Q2 of next year. There are substantiated rumors that Jeep will release the Hercules next year, a gladiator with a 500hp twin turbo inline six as a 2021 model (so Q4 of 2020) so deciding between that and the diesel will be hard.....BUT, with the absolute castration of the diesel industry by the EPA, I will most likely abandon my quest for diesel for good.
As long as you're ok not hitting hard trails without doing massive mods to the Jeep then I'd agree that's the right path. My only gripe with the Gladiator is how fvcking expensive it is. I can't imagine how ungodly expensive a diesel one would be let alone a Hercules. Could probably get the SRT GC or even an AMG SUV for similar pricing.

Quote:
I've amassed quite a bit of offroad trail time under my belt. Believe it or not, from my experience, including out west, most damage that would have been prevented by the skids does't come from rocks, but actually, rouge branches. I've seen quite a few transmission lines (especially on JK/JL automatics) ripped off getting snagged on fairly thin branches, which is why the first mod after tires I always recommend new owners is a set of quality skids. For the JK/JL, only the transmission skid and maybe the oil pan if you wheel hard. The gas tank skid is fantastic from OEM, and there is 0 need to replace it.
Trans and oil pan skids are number 2 and 3 on my list of things to buy over the winter. First up is rock rails. For some reason, the person who had mine before took off the stock ones and put on nerf bars instead.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #651
WDE46

Quote:
As long as you're ok not hitting hard trails without doing massive mods to the Jeep then I'd agree that's the right path. My only gripe with the Gladiator is how fvcking expensive it is. I can't imagine how ungodly expensive a diesel one would be let alone a Hercules. Could probably get the SRT GC or even an AMG SUV for similar pricing.

Trans and oil pan skids are number 2 and 3 on my list of things to buy over the winter. First up is rock rails. For some reason, the person who had mine before took off the stock ones and put on nerf bars instead.

I think the biggest problem with the gladiator off-road is the departure angle right?

They’re very expensive but in-line with Colorado and Canyon costs AFAIK.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Old 11-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #652
lexpression

Quote:
That actually makes a lot of sense, ground branches are something I didn't really think about. The trails I hit Sunday were actually pretty clean and open of any debris like that, but were extremely rocky. Didn't have any clearance issues, but I also stuck to yellows, I have a feeling once I move up in trail difficulty, the need for skids will become apparent.

Quote:
I actually had to remove mine after mounting the tires due to rubbing, but they would have been worthless anyway. Waiting for the Black Friday deals to start rolling out, planning on picking up some sliders and a rack hopefully!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #653
SamDoe1

Quote:
I think the biggest problem with the gladiator off-road is the departure angle right?

They're very expensive but in-line with Colorado and Canyon costs AFAIK.

I think the Gladiator comes in at $10k more once you option equally. Base price is about the same.

The biggest problem is the breakover angle, that's what gets you stuck more than dragging your ass off a hill. That said, the departure angle is so bad that they had to add factory rock rails aft of the rear wheels to protect the bed lol. To be fair though, 90% of the people buying these things will never take them on something more than a dirt road so whatever.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-05-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #654
WDE46

Yeah that long wheelbase is ripe for high-centering.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:12 AM   #655
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

The diesel is a 4K MSRP option, so closer to 3k real life...IMHO, worth it for the torque and the range. While mine will be massively modded, even stock they can do most mild trails, and by mild, I mean Jeep mild, not SUV mild. A loaded Gladiator real world pricing (with auto and every other option that matters) is 51-53k before taxes. A diesel would be around 55-57k pre tax, and that's loaded. I think it's perfectly reasonable for a truck with that much equipment. No other truck can touch it offroad stock for stock, and modded vs modded, it's not even a contest. The raptor can go fast on dirt, but useless everywhere else.

Mine would be something along these lines, on 37s or 38s.

Dont think Im going to go this crazy with the kitchen (including the proverbial kitchen sink).....but fridge and cooker for sure.

Keep in mind, pics are deceiving, I stood next to one on 38s the other day, and from the floor to the bottom of the door was almost 2 feet.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-06-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:15 AM   #656
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

They're very expensive but in-line with Colorado and Canyon costs AFAIK.

Stock their biggest problem is actually the breakover.....but nothing a lift and tires can't fix....not to mention, I haven't met a gladiator owner yet that left it stock. Departure angle is less of an issue. Yes you scrape the hitch but that's about it. Having said that, most of the trails I run aren't that extreme, like Holy Cross, but overland type with varying terrain, and while there are ledges to climb (gladiator has the advantage there because of length) and rocks to traverse, having an extreme rock crawling rig isn't necessary for the stuff I do. The GX posted above, which is very nice, would have a hard time keeping up with a stock gladiator offroad, especially without damage.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-06-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:18 AM   #657
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I think the Gladiator comes in at $10k more once you option equally. Base price is about the same.

The biggest problem is the breakover angle, that's what gets you stuck more than dragging your ass off a hill. That said, the departure angle is so bad that they had to add factory rock rails aft of the rear wheels to protect the bed lol. To be fair though, 90% of the people buying these things will never take them on something more than a dirt road so whatever.
Current deals are around 7-8% below INVOICE. There are select dealers that honor the "forum deal" for the JL/JT so it's not all of them, but they are sprinkled throughout the nation so one is never too far.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #658
SamDoe1

Quote:
The diesel is a 4K MSRP option, so closer to 3k real life...IMHO, worth it for the torque and the range. While mine will be massively modded, even stock they can do most mild trails, and by mild, I mean Jeep mild, not SUV mild. A loaded Gladiator real world pricing (with auto and every other option that matters) is 51-53k before taxes. A diesel would be around 55-57k pre tax, and that's loaded. I think it's perfectly reasonable for a truck with that much equipment. No other truck can touch it offroad stock for stock, and modded vs modded, it's not even a contest. The raptor can go fast on dirt, but useless everywhere else.

Mine would be something along these lines, on 37s or 38s.

Dont think Im going to go this crazy with the kitchen (including the proverbial kitchen sink).....but fridge and cooker for sure.

Keep in mind, pics are deceiving, I stood next to one on 38s the other day, and from the floor to the bottom of the door was almost 2 feet.
So...a $53k truck that you have to immediately modify for it to be what you actually want at a tune of (based on those pictures) $15k-$20k for quality parts puts you at a $75k Jeep truck. Again, you can get a damn good AMG SUV for that much and just keep the JK for the trail rides.

Raptor isn't good for technical rock crawling but everything that a Gladiator can do, you can do with a Raptor. Especially so with some minor mods.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-07-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #659
WDE46

And that $15-20K in mods isn't coming back when you get rid of it. It's a near immediate loss, right? Maybe it's different for Jeeps.

I don't really see why there's the need to get a vehicle to do it all when that just means it's going to be meh at most things.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #660
SamDoe1

And terrible at what it does most often lol.

And yes, it's a near immediate loss. You can get more money by parting out than by selling as is.