BMW E46 Sunshade Sunroof Final Fix COMPLETE Pictorial DIY! - Page 7 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #121
halo0

My Ride: '02 330i 5mt
Sounds like it's probably white lithium which would be fine but you might want to check the ingredients.

I've gotten mine all back together and it seems to work fine with the exception of the fact that whenever I slide it all the way back it catches for a second right at the beginning as it starts to lower below the roof. Normally that would make me think it's too high but it's actually slightly below flush with the roof in the back yet it still catches when it first starts. Does anyone have any tips on how to adjust that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^Click, stop by and say hi.^ ------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #122
lllRazorlll

My Ride: Accord Coupe
Side question: if you press the button to close the sunroof and it starts closing but then opens back up after one second, is that an electric issue related to the battery/voltage regulator?

lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:15 AM   #123
rayxi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
There is a safety feature that stops the motor when closing if it senses resistance (physical not electrical). So either the rails are dirty or the air deflector arm is dirty. The problem I had was with the air deflector arms. It would stop when it hit the deflector arms instead of pushing it down. A good cleaning and a bit (thin film) of lithium grease on the arms where it contacts the sunroof fixed it.
rayxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 AM   #124
lllRazorlll

My Ride: Accord Coupe
I'll go back and clean it out. I left the shade out but now I want to go back and put it in using a different technique. How close to the front of the car is the driver supposed to be? Mine is close to the back end of the sunroof where it is under roof and has to be pulled forward with a screwdriver which leads me to believe the driver is messed up?

lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #125
bmwshift

My Ride: 325i
well still no answer on removing the driver.

Your sunroof maybe different based on year, model and any mods made by
previous owner, manufacturer or present owner. This is a 2003 325i
Here are some thoughts on the mechanisms. First the driver is two parts you may have noticed even if the driver (rear driver for this discussion) does not move the sunshade back the front of the track also pushes on the front sunshade retainer while the rear driver maintains an equal pushing force to prevent rotation of the sunshade. if you push something on one side and friction is involved the surface will rotate about the point of friction. while with new components this is not a problem over time as friction builds up the system will fail because the rear driver will stick while the front driver (for lake of a better name) will continue to work shoving the sunshade retaining clip over the back driver and eventually the front drive shoves the back driver to the rear of the vehicle. Also notice that the rear driver has at least three rubber componets one component is on the head the other two are on the feet ( the feet are on the outside rail) the feet are important because when they break the rear driver will bind so you cannot just fix the head.

I still do not know how to remove it. Let me know if someone has found away without removing the cassette and headliner. obviously maybe a partial dropping of the rear end of the cassette may work. I will post if I come up with an answer.

Someone also asked about the rain diverter. First if you think you have a leak into the passenger compartment and you suspect clogged drain lines
do not exceed the capacity of this drain system. The drain system is the 4 drain tubes attached to the four corners of the cassette drain gutter to remove small amounts of water that accumulate because seals are not perfect, the vent position of the sunroof which uses a rain deverter to move rain into either side of the rain gutter so that it drains out the tubes. Again never overrun the capacity of the two rear drain tubes which can maybe drain a couple of ounces a second. if you are running your hose on top of your roof and water does not escape fast enough through the drains the water will raise above the height of the cassette gutter and run on top of your headliner and either come out in the rear or front of the headliner depending on the pitch of the car up hill or down hill. ALso note the headliner can also send the excess water down your pillar covers.
This also occurs during heavy rain when the rear of the sunroof is not
correctly set if it is below the front of the roof so that the seals (there are two one on the sunroof and one on the roof of the vehicle) do not compress together tight enough it will leak how much it leaks will determine if it overruns the cassette gutter and comes into the passenger compartment.
They can also be worn so they do not hold a seal. Many people have tried to unclog their drains and this should be done but do not put more water in than this system can accomadate and that should not happen if the seals are working properly

The rain diverter is a rubber deflector that remains below the roof level of your car and moves water into this drainage system. It is a large rubber flap the width of the rear of the sunroof and is connected to its own metal mounting bracket that is used when the sunroof is in the vent position.

It connects in four spots two rods attach with plastic clips to the bracket that opens the sunroof. The plastic clips break and it may come disconnected. The other two connections are in the same rail that the sunshade driver moves in only they occupy the inner part of the rail. Someone has suggested that there is a cutout in this inner rail to remove the diverter. I have not found this on a 2003 325i but I have learned that model years and modifications change a lot of things. Anyhow I did not have to work hard to remove mine because one of the legs was already bent out. It was jamming up. On the ends of these legs are clear vinyl like hose pieces about 1/4 inch long with small diameters. Hint hint. Whatever you use it must slide well. They are either not there or ready to fall off. They need to be replaced if that is the case along with the plastic clips which are also by the way not for sale. again either small pieces of hose or shrink tubing used in covering wires.

Last item there are two pop rivets with the kit that sells for about $250 more or less and contains the rear driver the water diverter the 4 clips for
the sunshade with screws for the driver side clips plus two sided tape and a
plastic cover.

Does anyone know what the pop rivets are for in this application? It looks like they maybe used to replace something that needs to be taken apart in the sunroof cassette that has not been mentioned maybe people would buy the kit if they knew or maybe not...Does ecs tuning provide instructions they seem to have the best price,

Hope this helps and thanks for all the help from other contributors.
bmwshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #126
bmwshift

My Ride: 325i
before I get zinged there are not two gaskets on this mode sorry about that..l just make sure the gasket on the sunroof is not worn and it is in contact fully with the metal flange of the roof line the rear is suppose to be slightly higher by a couple of mm above the front. If you need to make adjustments remember the automatic adjustment is just for the stop points so if at the stop point for were the window is closed properly you will need to adjust the height of the sunroof to the top of the vehicle roof with the torx used to remove the glass. It will not adjust by holding the switch for 20 seconds that only works for the stop points,

Also I removed the rear driver without taking the roof apart. On mine the driver head was already missing part of the rubber bumper also the feet which push against the outer rail were shot. So if the head on your rear driver has only the metal left you should see the pin underneath it which is
in the rail. If you are careful you can bend this out of the rail then move it back so that the top of the outside rail releases the top of the rear driver now you can remove the bottom of the rear driver (the rubber feet on mine were also missing) by moving the top of the driver towards the outside and pulling the botton toward the inside basically twisting it off the outside rail.
I assume you might be able to install one by either the reverse is the pin will make it or if there was a slot in the top of the inside rail. Someone showed a slot somewhere in the rail for removing the rain diverter but I haven't found it or maybe he made it would have to be behind the outside rail that has the top guide for the top of the rear driver so that you could perform the same twisting to reinsert the rear driver. If you look at the two rails and how the rear driver is attached it should be clear. Right well ask any questions I will try to provide some pics.
bmwshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #127
Jmaeser82

My Ride: 99 323i
I happened upon this thread while researching a fix for my own issue which is outlined in the fantastic DIY instruction. I have not begun the tackle this project yet. I noticed the photos stored on imageshack are not displaying. This is a fairly old thread and perhaps they got moved, deleted, expired, etc...

I was wondering if the OP happened to still have these somewhere or would be able to update the links?

The written instructions appear to be relatively solid, so maybe they won't matter much but I figured I would ask just in case

Thanks for any effort with this request in advance and certainly a thank you for posting this originally and for what is here currently!

-Jason
Jmaeser82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #128
John in VA

My Ride: 328i/325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaeser82 View Post
I noticed the photos stored on imageshack are not displaying. This is a fairly old thread and perhaps they got moved, deleted, expired, etc...
I was wondering if the OP happened to still have these somewhere or would be able to update the links?
Folks have been asking this for 1.5 years, unfortunately.
'03 530i
'02 325xi
'00 328i
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:05 AM   #129
Rusty325Ci

My Ride: 325Ci
Hello OP, back in 2017 hoping that the images resurface
Rusty325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:09 AM   #130
Theador

My Ride: 330ci Clubsport
Gahhh!! All the images are missing. Just to add. My sunroof was stuck open with the little driver stopping the glass closing. To get the glass closed I removed the sunroof motor and could then pull the glass out enough to get to the screws and remove the glass.
Theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #131
EHGVETTE

My Ride: 02 330I
Sunroof stuck half open

It is stuck half open.It won't go forward and clacks and stop when going to the rear. I sure hope I do not have to drop the headliner to fix.
Help is greatly appreciated.
EHGVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #132
3.nigel

My Ride: 2004 325i
I opened up my sunroof today to fix an issue with the clips, and it turns out that one of the integrated metal prongs on the passenger side is somehow completely busted.

Instead of purchasing an entirely new sunshade, I found an aftermarket metal clip that appears to replace the passenger side clips: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3D5M629PRM7QL

Anyone have experience with this or have any inclination if it might work?
3.nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #133
halo0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.nigel View Post
I opened up my sunroof today to fix an issue with the clips, and it turns out that one of the integrated metal prongs on the passenger side is somehow completely busted.

Instead of purchasing an entirely new sunshade, I found an aftermarket metal clip that appears to replace the passenger side clips: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3D5M629PRM7QL

Anyone have experience with this or have any inclination if it might work?
It looks like a decent facsimile of the oem clips. But you don't have to buy an entire new sunshade from bmw to get them.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #134
halo0

clip part number in here http://www.csfrancis.net/BMW/sunshadediy.pdf

Old 10-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #135
3.nigel

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo0 View Post
Interesting...would definitely buy OEM if possible. Unfortunately it looks like that part number is for the plastic slider, and not the metal prongs that go into it, which is what I need. Looks like realoem does not list anything for the metal component either.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=54_0205
3.nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #136
halo0

Whoops my bad, yeah that metal part is molded into the fiberglass iirc.