Steering wheel play. How I found the cure. - Page 25 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 87 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #481
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by myBimmer325Ci View Post
Look at this page from one of the manuals. (Sorry about it being upside down)
See the paragraph on active steering.
You have an E46. This book doesn't apply to your car.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 02-05-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #482
ssurfer4

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssurfer4 View Post
Thanks and will do. we have some European junk yards around the St. Louis area. I do have one of the sports packages but not sure exactly which steering rack I have. Is there a mark on the rack that will identify it? Are different racks interchangeable for my 330Ci (produced 7/2003)?
Update: It was a bent tie rod that was causing my play. During replacement, when the old tie rods were off, I grabbed and shook that steering rack shaft for play and it didn't move one bit. The play seems to be gone now.
ssurfer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:33 AM   #483
CabrioPassion

My Ride: 330Ci Cabrio 6 MT
Transmission: Manual 6 gears
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssurfer4 View Post
Update: It was a bent tie rod that was causing my play. During replacement, when the old tie rods were off, I grabbed and shook that steering rack shaft for play and it didn't move one bit. The play seems to be gone now.
Do you have some pictures or a video please? Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CabrioPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #484
mjdarg

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Transmission: Manual
I replaced the steering guibo about 5k miles ago and although it was worn, it didn't completely remove my steering play. Play was noticeable while cruising on the highway and small adjustments were needed. It would also click when wiggling the wheel back and forth. Just a few days ago, I replaced the lower joint (u-joint assembly) and it fixed it completely. You can put the car on ramps and get under and wiggle the wheel back and forth. I just recorded it with my phone and sure enough, I saw some play in the joint.
mjdarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #485
ssurfer4

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabrioPassion View Post
Do you have some pictures or a video please? Thank you.
I do not. It was an obvious bent outer tie rod end.
ssurfer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #486
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdarg View Post
I replaced the steering guibo about 5k miles ago and although it was worn, it didn't completely remove my steering play. Play was noticeable while cruising on the highway and small adjustments were needed. It would also click when wiggling the wheel back and forth. Just a few days ago, I replaced the lower joint (u-joint assembly) and it fixed it completely. You can put the car on ramps and get under and wiggle the wheel back and forth. I just recorded it with my phone and sure enough, I saw some play in the joint.
This thread is now 12 years old, and not relevant anymore.
By now if the steering has a noticeable play on-center-only, particularly if it's there under all circumstances (regardless of speed, road inclination, acceleration/deceleration, etc.), the problem is that the steering rack gear is worn.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 06-07-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote