E46 COOLING SYSTEM GUIDE - overheating/coolant/etc - Page 90 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 423 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #1781
Rotten Robbie

My Ride: 01 325i
Have you looked into the cost of hoses on Pellican Parts? They were by far the best price when I needed a real Bosh cooling fan assy.

I agree the hard lines under the manifold last the life of the car. I broke one when I replace my head gasket, but it was only $31 for a new Bosh, and it would not have broken otherwise.
Rotten Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #1782
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Robbie View Post
Have you looked into the cost of hoses on Pellican Parts?
It's all in the price finder:
www.furiousmethod.com
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #1783
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Finally took her out for a highway drive a couple hours ago. Runs great. No cooling issues.....for now. Will check fluid level tomorrow morning. The only thing left to do is replace the DISA because that's starting to get loud.....at least I think that's where the ticking noise is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I got my high pressure line for $90 i think.
Oh wow. The only prices I've seen coming close to that are off-brand ones on ECS and even cheaper no-name ones on other sites. Care to share where you purchased it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Robbie View Post
Have you looked into the cost of hoses on Pellican Parts? They were by far the best price when I needed a real Bosh cooling fan assy.
Pelican is one place I didn't look on for this project. Tischer/ECS/a local dealership (surprisingly very good pricing on most things!) was where I bought the majority of items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
The goal usually is to never take off the intake manifold unless you have to. Those hard heater pipes can last the life of the car.
Fuel injector O rings usually don't get replaced unless you have to take apart for other reasons. Easy to get to when I replaced my injectors.
I'd sooner worry about that PS hose.
Looks like the genuine BMW hose is expensive and the off brands are much more affordable.
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/Part...ch=32416774215
Usually this means that the off brands are Cheap Chinese Crap and you will pay the price for CCC!

www.furiousmethod.com
Thanks for the info. I've only used furious method once and it drove me crazy with all the new tabs opening up but I'll have to try it again for the 'pricier' parts.
Zardoz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #1784
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz33 View Post
Finally took her out for a highway drive a couple hours ago. Runs great. No cooling issues.....for now. Will check fluid level tomorrow morning. The only thing left to do is replace the DISA because that's starting to get loud.....at least I think that's where the ticking noise is coming from.

Oh wow. The only prices I've seen coming close to that are off-brand ones on ECS and even cheaper no-name ones on other sites. Care to share where you purchased it?

Pelican is one place I didn't look on for this project. Tischer/ECS/a local dealership (surprisingly very good pricing on most things!) was where I bought the majority of items.

Thanks for the info. I've only used furious method once and it drove me crazy with all the new tabs opening up but I'll have to try it again for the 'pricier' parts.
Same site i've made massive popular for years on this board: bmaparts.com

telling you i'm full of the best ideas!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #1785
tattedsmitty34

My Ride: 328ci
Hey guys. I've been following this thread to help me change to thermostat.only I'm having some issues. I will give a detailed description on this process to help better understand.
Before thermostat change:
Car had no heat.
Would over heat
Dump smoke under front driver side wheel.

After thermostat change:
Installed new thermostat
Bled cooling system
Filled system
Car produced heat
Temp Guage stayed in the middle and never smoked. Ran like new.

It has been sitting for a few hours now. I started it up to warm the car, come back outside and smoke pouring thru the wheel well again and no heat. Anyone have any suggestions? Full of coolant and 0 leaks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
tattedsmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #1786
Mango

that smoke isn't coming from the cooling system unless coolant is spraying or boiling but you'd notice that if it were the case. the smoke is likely an oil leak onto hot car parts. get her fixed. GL

|
|
|

-
-
Old 01-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #1787
tattedsmitty34

My Ride: 328ci
There was like a boiling sound coming from the expansion tank and smoke heavy smoke coming from that area. It was dark so I could see the smoke

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
tattedsmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #1788
Zardoz33

Quote:
Same site i've made massive popular for years on this board: bmaparts.com

telling you i'm full of the best ideas!!!!!!!!!
That's another site searched on but unfortunately, they barely had anything I was looking for. They do have a 'cheaper' hose though. Is the brand Burgaflex reputable? Funny how out of all the aftermarket high-pressure hoses I've look at, this one: http://www.bmaparts.com/item.wws?sku...X&weight=1.500 is the only one with the same plastic ring (around the middle part of top pipe) that the genuine one has. Hmm....

And yep, my Disa is making this exact same noise:

Embarrassed to say I've been driving with that noise since I bought her in Oct. 2012. I knew I should have bought the damn valve back then! They ended up jacking the price a couple months later.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #1789
Stinger9

general rule is that any brand name that we don't recognize as oem is Cheap Chinese Crap. Especially not recommended for critical applications such as a high pressure hose where a fail would be very awful.
I'd pass.
Promise to come back and confess if you use this hose and it explodes?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #1790
Stinger9

Quote:

Embarrassed to say I've been driving with that noise since I bought her in Oct. 2012. I knew I should have bought the damn valve back then! They ended up jacking the price a couple months later.
They sure jacked the price way sky high! I'd like to hear the real reason why.
Have you looked into the German Automotive Solutions rebuild kit?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #1791
Zardoz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
general rule is that any brand name that we don't recognize as oem is Cheap Chinese Crap. Especially not recommended for critical applications such as a high pressure hose where a fail would be very awful.
I'd pass.
Promise to come back and confess if you use this hose and it explodes?
lol If I do end up buying that particular one, yes I promise. I'll most likely just get the genuine one though in the summer. After my aftermarket a/c condenser (pain in the ass!) and radiator (almost exact fit - so the condenser might have been the culprit) didn't mount 100% correct, I really don't want to buy anymore non-genuine important parts.

Yep, I've looked into the G.A.S. repair kit. I took the disa off sometime late in 2012 I think. I changed the o-ring. At the time the diaphragm still held vacuum pressure. The noise has been consistent, so maybe its still 'good' and I can repair it.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #1792
Mango

Quote:
That's another site searched on but unfortunately, they barely had anything I was looking for. They do have a 'cheaper' hose though. Is the brand Burgaflex reputable? Funny how out of all the aftermarket high-pressure hoses I've look at, this one: http://www.bmaparts.com/item.wws?sku...X&weight=1.500 is the only one with the same plastic ring (around the middle part of top pipe) that the genuine one has. Hmm....

And yep, my Disa is making this exact same noise:

Again. Another common misconception which I've shot down. Remember if I say something, it's pure quality. Always ask me for a way to get what you want cause surely its there if it's quality and appropriate.

bmaparts can sell any BMW part on the planet as long as it has a bmw part# if it's not on the site, call or email them

|
|
|

-
-
Old 01-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #1793
Zardoz33

Quote:
Again. Another common misconception which I've shot down. Remember if I say something, it's pure quality. Always ask me for a way to get what you want cause surely its there if it's quality and appropriate.

bmaparts can sell any BMW part on the planet as long as it has a bmw part# if it's not on the site, call or email them
Sounds good I'll let you know if I need anything, seeing as I just pulled codes P0102, P0171 & P0174. SES light wasn't on before my project started but came on afterwards. I had the neg battery detached, took her out a couple times but the light is still on. All intake boots/tb gasket/disa gasket are just over 1 year old. Guess I'll clean the maf, then smoke test to check for vac leaks but from what I've read on here the codes can either be just one thing...or a few things.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 01-31-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #1794
Mango

Quote:
Sounds good I'll let you know if I need anything, seeing as I just pulled codes P0102, P0171 & P0174. SES light wasn't on before my project started but came on afterwards. I had the neg battery detached, took her out a couple times but the light is still on. All intake boots/tb gasket/disa gasket are just over 1 year old. Guess I'll clean the maf, then smoke test to check for vac leaks but from what I've read on here the codes can either be just one thing...or a few things.
lean codes can be anything. lots of ways for vacuum leaks to occur. for some, lean codes have also been reported to be caused by fuel delivery.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 01-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #1795
Zardoz33

Quote:
lean codes can be anything. lots of ways for vacuum leaks to occur. for some, lean codes have also been reported to be caused by fuel delivery.
PO had the fuel filter replaced about 2 months before I bought it. However, as far as I know the fuel pump is original. Thank you for jinxing me haha.

EDIT: Just saw on the paperwork he also had the fuel pump replaced, along with the filter.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 02-07-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #1796
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Mango,
I really can not express enough gratitude for all the money and time you've saved me and others due to your diligent, precise and accurate explanations in your posts. I know you spend an enormous amount of time and effort on these posts. Thanks again.
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:32 AM   #1797
Stinger9

Yeah, parallel world Bentley with more detailed real world info.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #1798
Zardoz33

That ticking noise still persisted even when my disa was unplugged. Do fuel injectors 'tick'? The sound is definitely coming from somewhere on the top part of the engine. The disa was bad anyway, its diaphragm wouldn't hold vacuum pressure. New one is on the way.

I've had the car sitting outside the past week. It's been extremely cold if that means anything about what I'm going to say? Haven't drove her since I went on two long test drives because of the codes and disa being fubar. So, I've been checking the coolant level at 2 day intervals. It had dropped a little bit, then I filled it to where the top of the cap is in-between the high and low spheres. A couple days later, it drops again and so on. I don't notice any coolant leaking or white residue anywhere.

Now, after the bleeding process, I still kept it in the garage for a few more days. I'd run it for about 15-20 min., then let it sit to check for any leaks. Repeat process the next day. Other than that drip spot I posted a page back, the coolant level never went down while it was inside.

Hopefully Auto Zone or wherever still has that coolant pressure tester to rent. I spent a lot of time, working very slow to redo the cooling system.

Judging by the pictures I posted on the previous page, the only things I can think of which are either anywhere near the vicinity of said drip spot or that are high up enough to let the coolant run down to that area are:

1.) The heater core itself. ?
2.) Both heater pipes on the block (their o-rings might be bad)
3.) The two transmission cooler lines, at the transmission housing itself (again, their o-rings).

If there even is a leak and I can't find the leak with the tester, then I'm pulling the intake manifold off. F*** it right? That'll give me an excuse to replace more stuff anyway. lol. My patience is beginning to wear a bit thin here.....or I might be overreacting, in which I blame the perfectionist part of my personality on. /endofmyfridaynightrant
Old 02-08-2014, 12:50 AM   #1799
Stinger9

Pressure test won't hurt at this point. You need to eliminate the possibility of an external leak. And a bad head gasket is certainly possible. Oil shows no sign of coolant?

Injectors do tick. You can listen with a cheap Harbor Freight stethoscope and hear them.

Last edited by Stinger9; 02-08-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #1800
inferno nexus

My Ride: F30 328i
Replaced my cooling system today. No fitment problems with the Behr radiator (auto) or URO mounting bracket. The old GEBA water pump (left) acutally feels more solid than the GRAF pump (right):

Thanks to Mango for the guide, Stinger9 for advice on brands and Hector45 for his help, tools and providing his garage.
inferno nexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, water pump