E46 COOLING SYSTEM GUIDE - overheating/coolant/etc - Page 89 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 423 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 01:14 AM   #1761
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I don't think you have anything to worry about. The engine is designed to run at 95C and it will do so in that weather. Run premium gas and there will be no problems in that heat. That'll keep it from having to adjust timing to avoid detonation due to overly warm fuel/air mixture.
+1
Run my car in 115F (46C) and it never skips a beat.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:10 AM   #1762
Moonshot

My Ride: E46
It's relatively cold weather now, averaging 20 deg, and the temp ranges between 84 up to 98 read from the dash, depending if on highway or in traffic. So as per your comments I shouldn't be worried. Cool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

E24 635 CSI 1989 Black/Black with 18'' BBS RS 285 90K Km
E46 330CI Convertible 2003 Silver/Black M-Tech II package 42K Km
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #1763
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
Yes that is a relatively good temp range but I think you may have a slightly out of tune thermostat. I'd get a new Wahler thermostat. It should keep your car at 95C unless you go high RPM. Just monitor it if you are nervous. If it goes too high then I would take action at that time.

In the meantime, I would clean my radiator and AC condenser really well to increase their capacity just for peace of mind.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-26-2014 at 10:34 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #1764
Stinger9

Quote:
=Moonshot;15964645 the temp ranges between 84 up to 98 read from the dash,
My engine temperature moves up to about 95C very quickly and stays around there no matter what. Lower like you say is not best for the engine.

Last edited by Stinger9; 01-26-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #1765
WDE46

You can get it to 84 if you floor it. The thermostat heater will open it earlier then. Otherwise under normal driving it should be 95C plus or minus just a few degrees.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 01-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #1766
Rotten Robbie

My Ride: 01 325i
Good news, I replaced my thermostat assy, and my gauge is right back down in the smack dab middle -knock on wood!
I got it from Napa for $51, but it is some reboxed German brand, and it was on the shelf in my own village...

Last edited by Rotten Robbie; 01-26-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Rotten Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #1767
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Unhappy

I finished installing everything last night, then bled the system, etc. Didn't start her up though because it was too late and I didn't want to open the garage.

Unfortunately, I found a leak this morning. I double-checked all the hoses, looked from the bottom up and top down yet can't find the source. Any ideas guys?

In picture #1 with the red arrow: measuring from the front of the radiator, it's pretty much 33 1/2" straight back.

In picture #2: The yellow circled area is where the coolant is pooling up and eventually dripping from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	544380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	544381  

Last edited by Zardoz33; 01-28-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Zardoz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #1768
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
probably one of the hoses you reused. check

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #1769
Zardoz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
probably one of the hoses you reused. check
The only one I reused was one of the heater control valve hoses. I replaced its other one and everything else with new hoses. I'll double-check again.

Scratch what I just wrote. I was incorrect. The only 2 hoses I did not replace are the ones on the heater control valve.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 01-28-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #1770
Rotten Robbie

My Ride: 01 325i
I like to make sure the sealing surfaces for the hoses are wiped clean, then a little KY on the O ring makes them assemble with less trauma -can't hurt...

It looks like it is under your coolant recovery tank? -there are several coolant fittings in that area...
Rotten Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #1771
Zardoz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Robbie View Post
I like to make sure the sealing surfaces for the hoses are wiped clean, then a little KY on the O ring makes them assemble with less trauma -can't hurt...

It looks like it is under your coolant recovery tank? -there are several coolant fittings in that area...
The perspective in pic #1 is misleading. It looks like it's right underneath the expansion tank but it's not. That drip spot is actually 33.5" towards the rear of the car, measuring from the front of the rad/expansion tank area.

Edit: Since it's such a small amount it could have been excess coolant that I didn't clean up from when I was bleeding last night. My car is on ramps so it just might be trickling down to that lower area.....

Last edited by Zardoz33; 01-28-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #1772
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz33 View Post

Edit: Since it's such a small amount it could have been excess coolant that I didn't clean up from when I was bleeding last night. My car is on ramps so it just might be trickling down to that lower area.....
So run the car a bit and see what happens.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #1773
Zardoz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
So run the car a bit and see what happens.
I'm being overly paranoid because this is the 1st project I've done by myself on the car. I just ran it for 5 mins. and everything is ok. No leaking anywhere. Letting it cool down now and I'll check the coolant level afterwards.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #1774
Stinger9

Quote:
I'm being overly paranoid because this is the 1st project I've done by myself on the car. I just ran it for 5 mins. and everything is ok. No leaking anywhere. Letting it cool down now and I'll check the coolant level afterwards.
I understand. But give yourself a bit more credit, and know doing damage is not that hair-trigger as you are treating it. If you use the car a bit and see no warning signs, there is very little potential for damage.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #1775
WDE46

Was your bleeding messy? Mine was. It could just be remaining coolant that worked it's way down overnight. I'd drive it, get it really warm to cook anything off, then park it again like you did with the cardboard.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #1776
Zardoz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Was your bleeding messy? Mine was. It could just be remaining coolant that worked it's way down overnight. I'd drive it, get it really warm to cook anything off, then park it again like you did with the cardboard.
Yep things got a bit messy, which is probably the remainder of the coolant that I couldn't see when wiping things down. I'm taking it out later after I do the oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
I understand. But give yourself a bit more credit, and know doing damage is not that hair-trigger as you are treating it. If you use the car a bit and see no warning signs, there is very little potential for damage.
I also read too many 'cooling horror story' threads from other noobs like myself before embarking on my project which added to me being overly cautious. I now know just to stick with reading posts from you E46 veterans. Thanks to all your advice, Mango's and others!

So, I replaced everything associated (including mounting parts and bolts) with the cooling system, minus the two heater control valve hoses and two hard plastic hoses connected to the block.

I also replaced:

1.) A/C condenser & o-rings.
2.) All pulleys/tensioners/belts.
3.) Did the electric fan mod swap.
4.) The washer fluid reservoir, both motors, grommets, fluid sensor & headlight nozzle o-rings.
5.) Power steering reservoir & all hoses (minus the high pressure hose - wasn't leaking).
6.) About 90% of all bolts/nuts/plastic tabs associated with the parts listed above.

Next project will be to degrease the engine properly when the weather gets nice out. The po drive around with oil leaks for about 3 years. He would go to the dealer to get something replaced then in their quote sheet: "ofhg is leaking", "valve cover gasket leaking", etc. would be written down but the guy only had the vcg replaced by some indie shop which did a shoddy job. The amount of oil change paperwork from Jiffy Lube that I have is hilarious. He was going there almost every 4 months. Soooooo, you can imagine the amount of crap that is caked-on certain areas of the engine. It is absolutely appalling. She muuuust get clean.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #1777
Mango

Quote:
Yep things got a bit messy, which is probably the remainder of the coolant that I couldn't see when wiping things down. I'm taking it out later after I do the oil change.

I also read too many 'cooling horror story' threads from other noobs like myself before embarking on my project which added to me being overly cautious. I now know just to stick with reading posts from you E46 veterans. Thanks to all your advice, Mango's and others!

So, I replaced everything associated (including mounting parts and bolts) with the cooling system, minus the two heater control valve hoses and two hard plastic hoses connected to the block.

I also replaced:

1.) A/C condenser & o-rings.
2.) All pulleys/tensioners/belts.
3.) Did the electric fan mod swap.
4.) The washer fluid reservoir, both motors, grommets, fluid sensor & headlight nozzle o-rings.
5.) Power steering reservoir & all hoses (minus the high pressure hose - wasn't leaking).
6.) About 90% of all bolts/nuts/plastic tabs associated with the parts listed above.

Next project will be to degrease the engine properly when the weather gets nice out. The po drive around with oil leaks for about 3 years. He would go to the dealer to get something replaced then in their quote sheet: "ofhg is leaking", "valve cover gasket leaking", etc. would be written down but the guy only had the vcg replaced by some indie shop which did a shoddy job. The amount of oil change paperwork from Jiffy Lube that I have is hilarious. He was going there almost every 4 months. Soooooo, you can imagine the amount of crap that is caked-on certain areas of the engine. It is absolutely appalling. She muuuust get clean.
I would've replaced the high pressure hose when you were down there. It's pretty much the main hose that weeps/seeps over time. sometimes leaks or worst yet--bursts!

|
|
|

-
-
Old 01-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #1778
Zardoz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I would've replaced the high pressure hose when you were down there. It's pretty much the main hose that weeps/seeps over time. sometimes leaks or worst yet--bursts!
I'll be honest it came down to my budget for this project. Soon as I saw the hose's $225 price, I cried. I'm definitely replacing it over the summer though.

I'm also interested in taking off the intake manifold. Its gasket is probably hard by now (maybe?), plus then I can replace those 2 heater pipes, any other random rubber hoses, fuel injector o-rings, etc. It looks....challenging to say the least. This car is a helluva lot of fun to work on.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #1779
Mango

Quote:
I'll be honest it came down to my budget for this project. Soon as I saw the hose's $225 price, I cried. I'm definitely replacing it over the summer though.

I'm also interested in taking off the intake manifold. Its gasket is probably hard by now (maybe?), plus then I can replace those 2 heater pipes, any other random rubber hoses, fuel injector o-rings, etc. It looks....challenging to say the least. This car is a helluva lot of fun to work on.
I got my high pressure line for $90 i think.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 01-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #1780
Stinger9

Quote:

The goal usually is to never take off the intake manifold unless you have to. Those hard heater pipes can last the life of the car.
Fuel injector O rings usually don't get replaced unless you have to take apart for other reasons. Easy to get to when I replaced my injectors.
I'd sooner worry about that PS hose.
Looks like the genuine BMW hose is expensive and the off brands are much more affordable.
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/Part...ch=32416774215
Usually this means that the off brands are Cheap Chinese Crap and you will pay the price for CCC!

www.furiousmethod.com

Last edited by Stinger9; 01-28-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, water pump