Ambient Temp Sensor - reads correct at start, but slowly climbs - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Slupe

My Ride: 2004 330Cic ZHP
Ambient Temp Sensor - reads correct at start, but slowly climbs

Hi all - I just bought a 2004 330Cic and am having some issues with the ambient temperature reading. The actual outside temperature has been 5F to -10F here the past few days. The car displays the correct temp when it has been sitting and is just being started. However, as I drive and the engine warms up, the temperature slowly increases to about 75F.

I originally thought maybe the sensor was in the engine compartment, but thanks to his forum, I located the sensor. It is there, not broken, etc. I have read the other threads about reading -40 or 122F, but nothing like this.

Has anyone seen these symptoms? Is it best to replace the sensor or is there something else I can try first? Is my car just trying to tell me it's too cold to be driving a convertible???

Thanks!
Slupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Slupe

bump - anyone seen this?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Willie00328I

My Ride: 2000 328I sedan
I would just put a new sensor on and see if that fixes it, their cheap. Get plug in one, some of them on eBay you have to splice in the wires

Willie

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Willie00328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
Slupe

To close this post, a new sensor fixed my issue.

A few other newbie observations that may help other newbies:
To remove the sensor, you need to partially remove the plastic wheel well liner. I turned my wheels as far right as possible and was able to remove two screws inside the wheel well. I also removed one underneath the front bumper fairing. I was then able to pull the liner back far enough to reach inside and reach the sensor.

The sensor just "pops" in and out. Once you have the liner partially loose, you can reach both sides. I pushed in on the sensor from under the car and it pops out and you can then wiggle it out the rest of the way from the inside. My wires were long enough to pull the sensor outside the wheel well and it's a simple plug to pull off the old and put on a new.

I was doing this in my garage (by sight) and doing it for the first time and it took 30 to 40 minutes, but having done it once, it's probably a 10 to 15 minute job.