Clunking issues on newly bought 2002 325ci (clunking in back) - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #61
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
Quote:
Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
It's funny...BMW guys say these are easier to work on, where as on the Celica forums they say that BMWs are MUCH more difficult to work on.
BMWs are easy to work on. They have a stigma for literally no reason, at least the E46 does. It's a little more difficult with the V8 5 series, but even then the only more complex thing is the engine. EVERYTHING else is fundamentally the same as any other RWD car with a McPherson strut front end and trailing arm rear end. Look under a freaking Kia Optima and it's the same as our car (minus FWD) just less robust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Celica guys haven't owned both. Who goes from a BMW to a Celica?
Excellent point.

Quote:
Alright update time:

Got a call today from Matt at MD Motorwerke. He said all the work is done. However, the slight clunking noise I was getting from a complete stop to pressing on the accelerator is still there, even with the new driveshaft. He says that it's better, but he can still hear it. The clunks when shifting are all but gone now thought thanks to the new diff mounts. He thinks, however, that it's something internal with the diff itself and doesn't think I need to worry about it since replacing the diff with labor would be too much. So he said he'd be willing to let me keep the driveshaft (since the u-joint was going anyway) and just not charge me labor for it. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the attention to detail these guys have given my car and can't wait to get it back.

Sooooo....is replacing the diff a diy kind of job?
The diff is not technically difficult. It's just a simple removal and installation job. PM me when you do this if you have questions. I did this job recently very smoothly. I can help you with what parts you'll need to replace in addition to the diff (mostly nuts and bolts).

Quote:
Diff mounts = bushings, right? I asked the guy everything we've discussed on here again this morning.

These are what we've eliminated:

-diff mounts (replaced)
-driveshaft/u-joint (replaced)
-CSB and flex disc (both replaced with new driveshaft)
-subframe

Not sure what else I'm missing. He still seems to think its something internal with the diff and therefore not worth replacing. I plan on swapping in a 3.46 diff once I find one for a reasonable price in good conditions.

God it would be great if it is just something in the trunk. The spare tire is bolted down, but maybe something is loose with the amp or battery. I'll have to check when I get it back.
Diffs can be had for ~$300 shipped easily. I got a new 3.38 diff for $280 shipped and put it in over the weekend. The only help you need is for dropping the exhaust to help handle it and to lift the old diff out and new one in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #62
marblesmike

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
BMWs are easy to work on. They have a stigma for literally no reason, at least the E46 does. It's a little more difficult with the V8 5 series, but even then the only more complex thing is the engine. EVERYTHING else is fundamentally the same as any other RWD car with a McPherson strut front end and trailing arm rear end. Look under a freaking Kia Optima and it's the same as our car (minus FWD) just less robust.

Excellent point.

The diff is not technically difficult. It's just a simple removal and installation job. PM me when you do this if you have questions. I did this job recently very smoothly. I can help you with what parts you'll need to replace in addition to the diff (mostly nuts and bolts).

Diffs can be had for ~$300 shipped easily. I got a new 3.38 diff for $280 shipped and put it in over the weekend. The only help you need is for dropping the exhaust to help handle it and to lift the old diff out and new one in.
Where should I be looking for a diff in that price range?
marblesmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #63
WDE46

Clunking issues on newly bought 2002 325ci (clunking in back)

Quote:
Where should I be looking for a diff in that price range?
eBay. Check out bavarian auto recyclers. They have an eBay store. I bought mine from somewhere else but they have a lot of stuff and a warranty.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #64
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
I'll just suggest that if all you have is a little clunk that's concerning you, you don't need to replace the diff...even if the sound is from the diff. I'd check the fluid level in diff, but other than that...live with the clunk. First, it's just a clunk. Second, I can't recall of reading of more than one or two diff failures here...and then only vaguely...it's almost always changed just because someone wants another ratio. And finally, in almost every case of a failure of this 'sort,' the sound will be much more than a clunk to warn you you need to really do something.

Anyway, I'm still think it's unlikely the diff. If it wasn't a bmw dedicated shop or really experienced mechanic, it could still be the csb and he forgot to put the pre-load on it...or the guibo was mounted one bolt off (which is a 'mile' off then). I'm sure mechanics here have worked on broken diffs...but I doubt any fanatic here can remember of a real diff failure here.

TL;DR the thread all over, but there are other bushings...tie rods, sway bars, any of which might also clunk...ditto shocks/mounts...sort of thing. Not to say it isn't the diff, but the odds, seem to me, point somewhere else based on my experience here (of doing nothing much more than reading a lot of threads--my 20,000 posts required my reading easily 5 x that many threads...that's 'my' experience. I remember stuff pretty well...do not recall a diff failure...ever, really.)

Play the odds, OP...sorry!

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #65
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I'm sure mechanics here have worked on broken diffs...but I doubt any fanatic here can remember of a real diff failure here.
My diff developed horrible noise and was slowly grinding itself to pieces so I replaced it. It was not a clunk though.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #66
marblesmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I'll just suggest that if all you have is a little clunk that's concerning you, you don't need to replace the diff...even if the sound is from the diff. I'd check the fluid level in diff, but other than that...live with the clunk. First, it's just a clunk. Second, I can't recall of reading of more than one or two diff failures here...and then only vaguely...it's almost always changed just because someone wants another ratio. And finally, in almost every case of a failure of this 'sort,' the sound will be much more than a clunk to warn you you need to really do something.

Anyway, I'm still think it's unlikely the diff. If it wasn't a bmw dedicated shop or really experienced mechanic, it could still be the csb and he forgot to put the pre-load on it...or the guibo was mounted one bolt off (which is a 'mile' off then). I'm sure mechanics here have worked on broken diffs...but I doubt any fanatic here can remember of a real diff failure here.

TL;DR the thread all over, but there are other bushings...tie rods, sway bars, any of which might also clunk...ditto shocks/mounts...sort of thing. Not to say it isn't the diff, but the odds, seem to me, point somewhere else based on my experience here (of doing nothing much more than reading a lot of threads--my 20,000 posts required my reading easily 5 x that many threads...that's 'my' experience. I remember stuff pretty well...do not recall a diff failure...ever, really.)

Play the odds, OP...sorry!
He checked the fluid levels in everything (he basically did an extensive PPI on it except it wasn't pre-purchase. It's a highly rated BMW/Benz/Mini indie shop, so I'll trust their judgment for now.

He said basically what you just did: it's just a sound and it's minor so I have nothing to really worry about it. Aside from regular servicing and car audio, the next things I want to do on the car are to add a cold air intake and swap the diff. After those are done we'll see where I'm at.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #67
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
Could someone explain why the car changes its height depending on the gear it's set to?
(shift from neutral to drive at a stop light if you didn't notice it before.)

I have a feeling that's the area we should be looking, maybe its slipping.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #68
WDE46

Quote:
add a cold air intake
Why?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #69
marblesmike

Quote:
Why?
I heard it increases HP slightly...not true/not worth it?!
Old 10-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #70
WDE46

If your goal is HP, then it's not going to do anything much. If you wanted HP you should've opted for the 330. Some of the nicer "CAIs" provide very nice induction sounds though.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #71
marblesmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowspoo View Post
Could someone explain why the car changes its height depending on the gear it's set to?
(shift from neutral to drive at a stop light if you didn't notice it before.)

I have a feeling that's the area we should be looking, maybe its slipping.
It's not the actual shifting noise I'm talking about (that's fixed)....it's when there's a change in inertia (suddenly speeding up when going slowly).
Old 10-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #72
marblesmike

Quote:
If your goal is HP, then it's not going to do anything much. If you wanted HP you should've opted for the 330. Some of the nicer "CAIs" provide very nice induction sounds though.
Ha yeah I gathered that. I'm guessing the diff swap will be my best bet.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #73
WDE46

Yes, but we always recommend a good bit of preventative maintenance here before performance mods. You've probably got some oil leaks to fix and you could use new VANOS seals for sure. That'll give you more of a performance boost than any CAI.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #74
marblesmike

Quote:
Yes, but we always recommend a good bit of preventative maintenance here before performance mods. You've probably got some oil leaks to fix and you could use new VANOS seals for sure. That'll give you more of a performance boost than any CAI.
All that stuff is being done in the shop. One small oil leak was found and diagnosed and fixed:

-New diff mounts
-new driveshaft and associated parts
-new VANOS seals
-new Crankcase Control system
-new front control arm bushings
-cooling system is in good order (and had been replaced in stages by previous owner)
-due for service in next 3k miles (plugs, oil change, etc) which I'll do myself
Old 10-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #75
WDE46

Nice. If recommend reading your operating coolant temperature while you're doing about 60-70mph to see if your thermostat is in good order.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #76
marblesmike

Quote:
Nice. If recommend reading your operating coolant temperature while you're doing about 60-70mph to see if your thermostat is in good order.

What should it be at and what's the best way to get the temp? The gauge?

BTW, the thermostat has been replaced as well.

Last edited by marblesmike; 10-25-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #77
WDE46

Lookup e46 hidden obc menu. You can read temps in that. While cruising and warmed up it should be about 95C. If you give it a lot of throttle the temp will drop but that's the computer doing that. So just hold a steady speed on the highway and read it.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #78
Rotten Robbie

My Ride: 01 325i
Hello All, I'm having similar clunking in my 01 325i, w/ 135K miles. I bought the car with a blown head gasket so when I got it running I knew I would have a few things to track down, and this is the last of them... -I hope!

I especially notice the clunking when backing up at low/idle rpm with the clutch all the way out at the point where slack occurs from backing over slightly uneven ground. The clunking seems to be coming from the rear end, almost sounds like the area of the differential. Also when I accelerate even lightly from a cruising speed I can feel a shift or slip like a broken mount on the transmission or ? .

When the car is cold I notice some slight driveline vibration that goes away/smooths out as I get 5-10 miles on it.

I think that my car was someone's first stick shift, and they probably jerked and stalled it a lot while learning.

I don't hear any bearing/whining differential noises.

I don't notice any excessive play in the diff or driveline, or at the U joints, and I can't move the carrier bearing around much at the bushing mounting by tugging on it.

I was thinking I should do couplings, carrier bearing, and U joints, but what if the diff is just shot...

-I'm sure I'll be an expert on this problem after I solve it, as I am with M54 head gasket replacement, but right now I could use some advice from you that are already experts out there...

Last edited by Rotten Robbie; 11-26-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Rotten Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #79
marblesmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Robbie View Post
Hello All, I'm having similar clunking in my 01 325i, w/ 135K miles. I bought the car with a blown head gasket so when I got it running I knew I would have a few things to track down, and this is the last of them... -I hope!

I especially notice the clunking when backing up at low/idle rpm with the clutch all the way out at the point where slack occurs from backing over slightly uneven ground. The clunking seems to be coming from the rear end, almost sounds like the area of the differential. Also when I accelerate even lightly from a cruising speed I can feel a shift or slip like a broken mount on the transmission or ? .

When the car is cold I notice some slight driveline vibration that goes away/smooths out as I get 5-10 miles on it.

I think that my car was someone's first stick shift, and they probably jerked and stalled it a lot while learning.

I don't hear any bearing/whining differential noises.

I don't notice any excessive play in the diff or driveline, or at the U joints, and I can't move the carrier bearing around much at the bushing mounting by tugging on it.

I was thinking I should do couplings, carrier bearing, and U joints, but what if the diff is just shot...

-I'm sure I'll be an expert on this problem after I solve it, as I am with M54 head gasket replacement, but right now I could use some advice from you that are already experts out there...
I read something similar in another thread recently wear someone said their might be something loose inside the differential that is causing this kind of noise. The indie shop told me the same thing. And they did a very detailed look over the car (and gave me a laundry list of things that needed work) so I trust they didn't overlook anything.

So that might be your issue.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #80
Rotten Robbie

My Ride: 01 325i
I have a feeling you're right, thanks! Any idea where that thread is?
Rotten Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote