Everything YOU need to know that I know about the E46 Engine Fans! PICTURES - Page 7 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #121
Rotten Robbie

My Ride: 01 325i
This sounds like the problem I had exactly. However, it is hard to tell if the fan is running, very quite and hard to see especially when it is only running at 20% speed.
I would test for 12V at the connector first.
If your car is a manual trans, it probably only has one electric fan, the automatics have two, one on the water pump, and an electric aux. fan in front of the radiator.
And if your 05 330i is like my 01 325i the main connector is on the fan itself.
There should be power even with the key off on the two larger wires, brown and blue I think are ground and power respectively.
If power is not present I would turn the key on in case the 05 is switched on/off with the key, and if still no power check the fuse first.

If you have power, you can figure out a way to generate the proper square wave with a signal generator to the small wire you should be able to turn on the fan.
Someone did post the signal data on this thread somewhere...
But if you can find a good scanner that can tell the ECM to turn on the fan that sounds easier. Maybe even find a shop that would do this.
Then if no fan you gotta determine if it's the ECM, fan, or the little wire in between the fan and ECM...
I would start by Ohm ing the little wire, it's the cheapest...

My hunch is that you have 12V, and the control module on the fan is bad. You can't replace the module only, so you have to bite the bullet for a $260 fan from Pelican Auto Parts.
I'm not advocating throwing parts at the problem, -I just got lucky.
My thought is that my 01 was an early series that had an early module that failed and the new one was and upgrade, the module itself was physically different. However your 05 should have all good stuff.
Rotten Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #122
delmarco

My Ride: 335i xDrive Deep Sea
Year: 2011
Model: 335i
Transmission: Steptronic
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
It's always spinning when the engine is running. The fan doesn't have an "ON" or "OFF" position.

1 > No, it doesn't. The clutch always slips and the fan always spins much slower than the pulley it's attached too. The clutch will slip less as it heats up and it will cause the fan to spin faster, but the fan will never reach the speed of the pulley unless the clutch fails and seizes up.

2 > No, it doesn't. Though air does go over the engine itself, it is the water that directly cools the engine. The fan's purpose is to draw air though the radiator which then cools the water inside it and that water then cools the engine. Without that water, no amount of air can keep this engine cool because it has no cooling fins.

3 > Please learn how these things work before you decide to do a write-up.
reply to 1> I said the fan is ALWAYS ON and SPINNING when the engine is running. It is NEVER OFF and NOT spinning when the engine is running. What I said is also valid for the fan is ALWAYS OFF and NOT SPINNING when the engine is off and not running.

I wrote this in reply to the confusion of people thinking the engine fan can be off and not spinning when the engine is on and not running.

You bringing the viscous coupling regulating the fan speed is irrelevant to the very reason I created this thread! The goal was to discuss and answer one or two main confusions and questions that regular people ask about fans in simple to understand and laymans term and not an Engineering 101 on fan speed. Being smart or a smart a55 dosn't make you helpful or useful all the time.

In response to 2> By the very nature of it's location the mechanical or engine fan DIRECTLY cools the engine block/bay by managing the hot air that accumulates in the engine bay. You make it seem that I wrote the fan is blowing cool air onto the engine block but that is not what I meant.

In response to 3>
Your ignorance for how I do things here can be forgiven since you are new here. But most of my threads are 'discussion based threads' where I start the conversation AND those who have questions can read what I wrote, ask questions if they still have AND be entertained by the opinions and knowledge of others who OBVIOUSLY will know what I don't know and can add a positive collection of facts and experiences to the general E46 community knowledge base.

Second most of my DIYs and WRITE UPs are ALL based on my experience DOING THESE PROJECTS! I don't write text books for car maintenance nor am I a mechanic. My gift is simply showing others that if I can do it successfully then chances are you can too.

Are we clear on this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW MODS & PROJECTS:

E90 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

E46 -

Last edited by delmarco; 11-25-2013 at 11:53 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #123
delmarco

My Ride: 335i xDrive Deep Sea
Year: 2011
Model: 335i
Transmission: Steptronic
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
I did the fan delete today and was curious how much weight the aux + mech fan combo was:

A. I weighed myself at 161.5 lbs

B. I put both fans and fan shroud in plastic bag:

C. I weighed myself and bag at 176.5 lbs

(176.5 - 161.6 = 15 lbs)

So the fan delete takes about 15 lbs of crap off your front end! And the car is sexier for it too!

By the way you can actually remove the Aux fan in about an hour WITHOUT having to jack the car or remove the bumper or remove the Aux fan cover guard.

DIY coming soon!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW MODS & PROJECTS:

E90 -

E46 -

Last edited by delmarco; 11-26-2013 at 12:20 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #124
Marshmallow

My Ride: Ehhh...
Everything YOU need to know that I know about the E46 Engine Fans! PICTURES

Nice write up despite the fact that I can't do this. Always love your DIY's!
Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #125
YYCZHP

My Ride: 2005 330ci zhp
Sorry if this has already been answered but I did skim the thread over. Can anyone confirm whether or not the electric fan off of a m3 will fit a non-m? Reason being is there is a bunch of low mileage m3's being parted out locally and no non-m's, so why spend around $250 when I can spend $50.

YYCZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #126
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTosi View Post
Sorry if this has already been answered but I did skim the thread over. Can anyone confirm whether or not the electric fan off of a m3 will fit a non-m? Reason being is there is a bunch of low mileage m3's being parted out locally and no non-m's, so why spend around $250 when I can spend $50.
well i don't know if you can make it fit/work. but according to the ETK the M3 electric "pusher fan" is exclusive to the M3 and the non-Ms have a different part.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....ur=&series=E46

(same with the fan clutch on the mechanical fans)

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #127
YYCZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
well i don't know if you can make it fit/work. but according to the ETK the M3 electric "pusher fan" is exclusive to the M3 and the non-Ms have a different part.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....ur=&series=E46

(same with the fan clutch on the mechanical fans)
Ok right on, thanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 01-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #128
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
You can get the fan new for $205 shipped here:
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Au...7117561757.htm

Last edited by SoCaLe39; 01-03-2014 at 06:25 PM.
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #129
YYCZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaLe39 View Post
You can get the fan new for $205 shipped here:
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Au...7117561757.htm
You missed my point completely. It doesn't matter if the part is $200 or it's $250, it is still going to be cheaper to get a used part....

Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #130
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTosi View Post
You missed my point completely. It doesn't matter if the part is $200 or it's $250, it is still going to be cheaper to get a used part....
No one here is arguing that a used part will be cheaper and my post wasn't necessarily directed at you but for anyone else looking for a good deal on a new unit.

Either way, even if I found a used fan for $50, I'd still buy brand new for the added assurance.
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #131
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
I bought a new fan even given my old one was working perfectly fine. Sold the old fan and recouped $80. $120 bought me extra peace of mind. Personally I wouldn't risk a used fan on my car.

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #132
kr3678

My Ride: '05 MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I did the fan delete today and was curious how much weight the aux + mech fan combo was:

So the fan delete takes about 15 lbs of crap off your front end! And the car is sexier for it too!
Need to add back in the weight of the new electric fan assembly to get an accurate reading of the weight difference.

Thanks for thoroughly documenting this.
kr3678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #133
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:

In response to 2> By the very nature of it's location the mechanical or engine fan DIRECTLY cools the engine block/bay by managing the hot air that accumulates in the engine bay. You make it seem that I wrote the fan is blowing cool air onto the engine block but that is not what I meant.

You can try to defend yourself all you want but you know damn well what you meant; And what you said is wrong.

As far as me being "new" here - I love how a few of you retards seem to think this is like some gated community or a high-school in a town I just moved into. It's not. This is just yet another public internet forum and you guys aren't the kids from Saved by the Bell. Hate to be the one that breaks this news to you.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #134
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr3678 View Post
Need to add back in the weight of the new electric fan assembly to get an accurate reading of the weight difference.
yes according to the ETK the electric fan weighs atleast 7.3 lbs.

calculate the original post with weighing everything (subtract the box the fan came in) it's probably closer to ~ 14.3 lbs.

so figure ~7.0 lbs (give or take) overall

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #135
Seanmk2

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Really nice write up, can't wait to buy a 330ci and work on it! Thanks guys
Seanmk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #136
robertttx

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
Gonna be buying my electrical fan today, had the mechanical fan explode into my expansion tank and radiator. Bought the parts for the tank and radiator at oembimmerparts.com ill be pulling the bumper off and replacing all of the parts and the fan hopefully this upcoming weekend. Im stoked to be replacing the fans and doing the coolant refreshing system kit that I bought. Ill post a diy post with photos and all. Itll be my first big project and im excited. Still looking for any help or pointers, all will be greatly appreciated.

robertttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #137
ChuckyVee

My Ride: 2000 323i, '99 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertttx View Post
Gonna be buying my electrical fan today, had the mechanical fan explode into my expansion tank and radiator. Bought the parts for the tank and radiator at oembimmerparts.com ill be pulling the bumper off and replacing all of the parts and the fan hopefully this upcoming weekend. Im stoked to be replacing the fans and doing the coolant refreshing system kit that I bought. Ill post a diy post with photos and all. Itll be my first big project and im excited. Still looking for any help or pointers, all will be greatly appreciated.

I had to replace my electric aux fan a couple weeks ago. I opted to keep everything the way the engineers designed my automatic...with two fans.

Here's what I learned from the project...it may help you.

The two large studs or whatever they're called that hold the bumper on use an external torx socket. The size is E12. Some people have been able to use a regular 9mm socket with success but for me it had too much play. I didn't want to take a chance and round off the fastener so I just bought the right socket...E12...$4.99 at Advanced Auto Parts.

Also, once you get the bumper loose, pull it out a little and reach in there and disconnect the horns and fog lights (if you have them). If you fail to do that you run the risk of breaking off the electrical connectors.

I ended up taking off the bumper completely because I preferred to have unrestricted access to everything. I'm sure I could have done the job by just pulling it out a little though.

One more thing, I didn't have a helper so I had a large ice chest close by and I used it to help support the bumper during removal/installation.

Good luck!

First Bimmer..."Miss December"...2000 323i, purchased Dec. 2013 w/82K on the clock. PM thus far...pads/rotors, belts/pulleys, complete CS overhaul, FCABs, plugs, autotranny/differential service, fuel pump, filter, and relay. Full front end refresh with LCAs and bushings, struts and mounts, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar endlinks and bushings.
ChuckyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #138
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Uhmm! A friend of mine wasn't to do the same mod..

Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #139
robertttx

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyVee View Post
I had to replace my electric aux fan a couple weeks ago. I opted to keep everything the way the engineers designed my automatic...with two fans.

Here's what I learned from the project...it may help you.

The two large studs or whatever they're called that hold the bumper on use an external torx socket. The size is E12. Some people have been able to use a regular 9mm socket with success but for me it had too much play. I didn't want to take a chance and round off the fastener so I just bought the right socket...E12...$4.99 at Advanced Auto Parts.

Also, once you get the bumper loose, pull it out a little and reach in there and disconnect the horns and fog lights (if you have them). If you fail to do that you run the risk of breaking off the electrical connectors.

I ended up taking off the bumper completely because I preferred to have unrestricted access to everything. I'm sure I could have done the job by just pulling it out a little though.

One more thing, I didn't have a helper so I had a large ice chest close by and I used it to help support the bumper during removal/installation.

Good luck!
Well thanks man. Def gonna go buy the socket. I plan on taking off everything bumper and all. I like having unrestricted access too. Thanks for 5he pointers

robertttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #140
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
In other words the aux fan cannot replace the mechanical fan in the event the belt system fails.
Not so sure about that. I wondered for a long time about this so I decided to test it out. I removed my mechanical fan and drove for several years relying solely on the aux fan and never saw an over-temp on coolant or trans fluid the whole time. I live in hot-as-hell Riverside, CA.

Looking at the aux fan and electric fan, they seem very similar in capacity and reliability.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote